What's new

China Super Blue Blades

Despite the number of blade makers in China, it's not all that easy to find DE blades at retail. These Gillettes are sold in a few of the Chinese Hypermarkets in typical plastic packaging for about $1.06 per pack. But the small neighborhood grocery stores sell them from old style cards for less. I found this bunch today for $0.78/ 5-pack. I bought every pack they had, but didn't think to grab the empty card too !

proxy.php

Last edited:
Before someone asks how do you know they are real, I guess you really don't until you shave with them. But Gillette is now very active in China and I've got to believe they vigorously defend their trademarks in the biggest shaving market in the world. I guess that's the reason Mr. Li now uses his own picture on the boxes:

proxy.php

This is him in his office. If you want to buy some for export, his minimum order quantity is 1 million blades. Don't try to weasel free blades out of him. Samples are US$200 per card.

proxy.php

Please give Mr Li my address. I want just a single pack, not a whole card.

Also, would love to try the real Gillettes. Could I interest you in a swap for some Bleues?

200 bucks for a card? I want what he's smoking.

Sounds crazy, but that's pretty common for all kinds of products actually. Since the advent of the internet, and websites that list Chinese factory's contact details, manufacturers get bombarded by people who will "place a big order" if only they can get a free sample to check out. As a result, they now over-charge for samples and promise you to refund the charge when your "big order" comes.

Sounds crazy, but that's pretty common for all kinds of products actually. Since the advent of the internet, and websites that list Chinese factory's contact details, manufacturers get bombarded by people who will "place a big order" if only they can get a free sample to check out. As a result, they now over-charge for samples and promise you to refund the charge when your "big order" comes.

Makes sense in a way, but still. Are the Gilette Bleues, legit? How do the Chinese ones compare? I might be contacting you for a purchase, I'll call it "Selfmas", an early gift giving holiday, just for me.

The card will read "To: Me From: Me" Love, Me lol.

Are you implying that the Tian Li Blades are the basically the same as the Gillette's, made in the same factory, etc?
Or are you implying that Tian Li only copied the style of packaging (to give same look and hopefully feel), but that the blades themselves are very different?

I personally have never seen Tian Li blades at retail, and couldn't get them to send me any to try, so i have no idea. But I am 99% sure they are not made in a Gillette factory, as Gillette would never allow such a knock of of their "trade dress." China has started to do a better job at enforcing trademark violations, so some offenders give up trying to do 100% knockoffs and just do 80% knock offs to confuse (Chinese) consumers but stay out of jail !

I got some of these when I visited my sister in China a few years ago. They're very good blades (for me, anyway, YMMV, all that). She doesn't live there anymore, but when she goes back for a visit I always ask her to pick up some more. I got Schick blades in a red wrapper, too, but they were'nt as good. If I recall, the Schicks were made in Germany. Gillette also sold a plastic-handled DE with one of these blades. I saw those all over, too. I got one, but haven't tried it yet.

Mike

Last edited:
There are a number of 'imitation brand blades' put out by RunWei Blade in Yangzhou. The Yellow Schick Super Chromium is one:

Original:
proxy.php

Fake:
proxy.php

As you can see, the trade dress is similar but not close enough to fool anyone with enough brains. I previously wrote about RunWei Blade over at Paste & Cut.

I would not be surprised if RunWei is also behind Mr Li's blades.

Interesting responses everyone.
The Sekich blades are almost funny looking. I read your post about RunWei and was surprised to hear you report about counterfeit Derby's as the real blades are already cheap (couldn't see the attached image of the fake blade)

Directly linked from the RunWei website:

proxy.php

Here's one that might explain the reason why the PermaSharp Super blades in the plastic dispenser seriously suck:

proxy.php

Please give Mr Li my address. I want just a single pack, not a whole card.

Also, would love to try the real Gillettes. Could I interest you in a swap for some Bleues?

One of my students brought me a few packs of this Gillette BLUE (and various other Chinese brands of DE and SE blades) from her last trip back home to China. PM me and I shall arrange to send you a pack of 5.

One of my students brought me a few packs of this Gillette BLUE (and various other Chinese brands of DE and SE blades) from her last trip back home to China. PM me and I shall arrange to send you a pack of 5.

Choice Bro. A PM will be incoming shortly, I am sure I can find something to hurl back across the ditch.

Those Gillette Blues are the blades I've been using mostly for the last 18 months. They're available in Auchan and my local mini-mart for 7.90 yuan- they were 5.4 last year. They're ok and quite sharp/smooth, but I manage to cut myself with them more than with other blades. Now I've got my R89 I loaded it with one and will try again tomorrow. I can't find anything better locally- I've found Bics, Personna Platinum and Red Shick too. My dad should be sending over some Feathers soon though.

Shanghaiese Gillette Blues are definitely good blades. I use them when I can't get my Feathers or Shark. Definitely better priced too!
Doesn't hurt that I can get them in Hong Kong and Taiwan as well as in Mainland China!

I would not feel TOO bad if I only had to shave with those exclusively.

Those Gillette Blues are the blades I've been using mostly for the last 18 months. They're available in Auchan and my local mini-mart for 7.90 yuan- they were 5.4 last year. They're ok and quite sharp/smooth, but I manage to cut myself with them more than with other blades. Now I've got my R89 I loaded it with one and will try again tomorrow. I can't find anything better locally- I've found Bics, Personna Platinum and Red Shick too. My dad should be sending over some Feathers soon though.

I've been blaming my prep and the very hard water in Suzhou. Getting better now that my "Dove & glycerin shaving soap" is improving.

I'm just back from Auchan and they had none. Rainbow had none yesterday and it's hit me that the last twice I looked, Walmart didn't have any. I think they might be getting quietly phased out. Next time I see them I'm going to follow Shekoujay's example and grab them all.

Last edited:
What a surprise. I have been quietly enjoying DE Wet Shaving for about 6 years. Recently my supply of Personna Blues fell below 10. I had been alternating with my favorite FEATHER yes to reach some perverse form of economy.

I have made several trips to China in recent years and I would always pick up one or two of the classic Riemie razors in the pharmacies behind my hotel for about 6-7RMB to give to friends interested in trying DE shaving. I would bring my own Personna blades having never found a reliable pack of domestic blades and warning anyone I gave a Riemie razor to toss out the "free" blade packed in without trying it. On one visit I found a pack of Gillette Blues that look like the blades in in the kick off of this thread and experienced a very decent shave.

I never could retrace my steps to grab more of the Shanghai Gillette's.... Fast forward. I bought 50 modern Gillette Silver Blues and after two blades 12-14 shaves I am standardizing on them but I will continue to visit the Feather with 40 in the cabinet. I just like the Gillette Silver Blue the most out of about 35 blades I have used.

In the journey I stumbled onto this thread. I ordered a 100 pc box of the look alike blades by Tain Li for $3.70 delivered. Wow... low expectations yielded quite the surprise. It was very respectable after 2 shaves on 1 blade. Long term I reserve judgment as consistency blade to blade is important too. I place it 6th on my list behind Gillette Silver Blue, Feather, Rapira Super Stainless, Astra Plats, Persona-USA- Blue. I will readjust after I use 5 blades.

I do recommend everyone try a box of Tian Li and pass them forward if they do not work for you. If they work for you stock up before the price doubles. Scoop up some real Gillette Silver Blues in parallel. The trial this morning I used the same handle with Tian LI on the left face and Gillette Blue standby on the right. Gillette wins in the sharp smoothness balance game hands down but the new entry was shocking for a $0.037 blade. Time will tell. Overall I find many St. Petersburg Russia collection worthy and enjoyable blades the new Silver Blue is on top!

Matt

Attachments

• New Go To Blade and a surprise - _.JPG
    New Go To Blade and a surprise - _.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Top Bottom