What's new

Chicken & Dumplings

It's almost 2:00 pm. It's 59 degrees. That means cool weather meals are right around the corner. Or tonight! And my choice is chicken & dumplings. I've had a chicken in the crock pot since 7:30. I'll pull it out at 3:00. De-bone the chicken, strain the broth, and then add the dumplings. Perfect comfort food. I love cool weather!

Randy

Mmmmmmm...........dumplings. I am always in search of the perfect dumpling. what is your recipe and cooking technique. I make a pretty mean dumpling but I always am looking for perfection.

Mmmmmmm...........dumplings. I am always in search of the perfect dumpling. what is your recipe and cooking technique. I make a pretty mean dumpling but I always am looking for perfection.

Pillsbury biscuits. I'm lazy. Tear each into 6 pieces. I know. Lazy. But, like I'm said, I'm lazy!

Randy, chicken and dumplings is always a great thing. Particularly in autumn. I love cool weather. The air is clean and crisp. Everything smells and tastes better. We have one day left of this damnable 90F weather and then it is supposed to be in the low 50s and night and the low 70's in the day.

We used to make this classic dish when I was a kid and it was always a hit. Dad made a variation on it using rabbit. We would hunt a brace of cottontails and he would quarter the rabbits and brown the pieces well in the bottom of a pressure cooker pan. Then he would add a cup or two of water and pressure cook the 'wabbits for about 20 minutes. This caused the meat to fall off the bones and tenderised it. It also extracted any goodness and flavour from the bone marrow.

Any of you who have eaten wild cottontail know they have zero fat on them. So he would add a large can of cheap chicken broth to the rabbit meat and water, season it well with salt and pepper and then stew the mix for awhile to let it meld and thicken a bit. Then he would drop homemade dumplings on the mix and when cooked it did not last long! By using the pressure cooker throughout the whole process he only had on cooking pan to clean. That was the old Army mess sergeant coming out in him. The whole house smelled of the stewing rabbit mix and if you weren't hungry when it started you were by the time it was ready. Great post Randy and you have inspired me to make it...soon.

Cheers, Todd

I grew up in the south and honestly don't think I've ever had chicken and dumplings. I can make a pretty good chicken and noodle soup from scratch. Should I just replace the noodles with biscuit dough?

I don't know the recipe details other than it utilized a slow cooked fresh chicken broth and home made dumplings, but as a young boy I would eat my grandmother out of house and home when it came to chicken-n-dumplings. I have not been able to recreate them myself as an adult. But even second rate dumplings are still a favorite dish.

Pillsbury biscuits. I'm lazy. Tear each into 6 pieces. I know. Lazy. But, like I'm said, I'm lazy!

This. We use 3 cans of Progresso chicken and noodle, and a can of chicken broth, heat to boiling. Cut Pillsbury Grands biscuits into quarters, and toss them in the pot of soup and cook for 10 minutes or so. Easy quick fix.

We have a box of bisquick, and plan to do the same thing tonight with the dumpling recipe on the box instead of the canned biscuits.

Egg Dumplings for stew or main course. See second recipe below for dumplings in soup.

From George Lang's Cuisine of Hungary.

1 egg
3 tablespoons lard
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon & 1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour (semolina is often used)

Mix egg, 1 tablespoon lard, 1/3 cup water, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix in the flour lightly. Do not work mixture too much, just enough to give it an even texture, about 3 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
Bring to a boil 3 quarts water with 1 tablespoon salt. Dip a tablespoon into the boiling water (to prevent sticking) and with the spoon tear pieces out of dumpling mixture, dropping the pieces into the boiling water.
When the dumplings have all surfaced to the top of the water, turn off the heat and remove them with a slotted spon. Rinse them with cold water and drain.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons lard (or chicken or goose fat) in a frying pan and lightly toss the completely drained dumplings in it for a few minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Serve as a garnish for traditional stews or with other main dishes with sauces.

When you cook dumplings, always make a "trial balloon". If the trial dumpling falls apart, add some flour or breadcrumbs to the dumpling mixture. If the mixture is too stiff, add some milk. The entire procedure must be done very speedily, otherwise the dumplings will be overcooked. You should also be careful not to drop too many dumplings into the broth at the same time, to prevent their sticking together.

Dumplings for soup

1 egg
3 tablespoons flour
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon oil

Beat egg with oil, then mix ingredients together.
Spoon mixture into boiling soup, using 1/4 teaspoon at a time.
Cook in the soup for 2-3 minutes just before serving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my grandmother making these. She had a particular short fork & large spoon used only for dumplings. Somehow, she did something to them to adapt them for this. She'd grab some dough on the side of the large spoon, and shove some off with the fork. This way they ended up with those nice lines on one side just like the more familiar potato gnocchi. She'd also do potato dumplings with cheese inside, but how she finagled the cheese inside them using that fork and spoon is a secret she took with her to heaven, which is exactly where these dumplings come from. I've watched her do it, but just don't have the gnacch.

I know exactly what I'm cooking tomorrow. Chicken paprikas over dumplings. The one dish she taught me that I've actually improved. Mine is sweet, as well as hot.

Just posted my recipe for Chicken Paprikas

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I haven't had chicken and dumplings since my grandmother passed in 92. I must try them one day.

This post has put me in the mood for a fresh pot. It's getting colder slowly around here and when it does, it's on!

There are SO many variations of this dish. Some use vegetables (celery and carrots) some use a mire poix, I use none. Some like broth, I prefer more of a "gravy". As a rule, just adding in the torn biscuits is all I need for a thickener. This will be common fare once winter sets in.

Inspired by this thread I made a batch yesterday. Altered my recipe a bit. Apple cider added to the broth. Nice touch I'll use that again. And cornmeal added to the dumplings (3-1 flour to cornmeal). A little grainy, I won't be doing that again.
I love this in the fall.
$6 for a fryer chicken a few veggies and you have comfort soup for a few days.

Mmmmmmm,chicken. I love chicken and dumplings. I grew up thinking dumplings made from biscuits was all there was.
Cold weather...a relatively new dish for me-Root Vegetable Stew. Carrots, golden beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, or any combination of. Chicken or veggie stock. Fresh garlic. I use golden beets so you can see the ingredients. Same reason no potatoes. Serve with crusty bread.
Also, time for my Perdinales River Chili Con Carne.
And beef stew. :tongue_sm
I love cold weather! :thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mmmmmmm,chicken. I love chicken and dumplings. I grew up thinking dumplings made from biscuits was all there was.
Cold weather...a relatively new dish for me-Root Vegetable Stew. Carrots, golden beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, or any combination of. Chicken or veggie stock. Fresh garlic. I use golden beets so you can see the ingredients. Same reason no potatoes. Serve with crusty bread.
Also, time for my Perdinales River Chili Con Carne.
And beef stew. :tongue_sm
I love cold weather! :thumbup1:
We need those recipes please :001_smile

Just made these last night. Broke down an herb roasted chicken added celery, carrots, mushrooms and chicken stock. The dumplings are made from Bisquick. Light and fluffy.
$Chicken and dumplings.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
If I may. Some recent posts in another thread about stew and dumplings. Yes they are my posts. Sorry if I seem to be pushing them on you.

Stew here.
Dumplings here.

Top Bottom