What's new

Cheapest New SR That Is Truly Shave-Ready?

As has been noted, new razors from established brands aren't cheap (ca. $130US for the entry level models) and the shave readiness is entirely dependent on the vendor. I can vouch for Griffith.

In my mind, cheap and shave ready probably means a Feather clone and a box of AC blades of some sort.

I just checked Griffiths and they have six razors, all brand new, ranging from $69 to $149 and I <believe> he will hone one for that price but I am not certain. Not sure what shipping costs, if anything and certainly not what it might cost to Australia. I have sent some of my own products (not shaving related) to Australia in the last year and all have gotten stuck and warehoused in quarantine. they are somewhere in the Australian postal system. The razor he has for $69 is something of an oddity being a quarter- grind razor in stainless steel scales, no doubt meant for medical use so it can be sterilized in an autoclave.

Others have also pointed out specific razors from specific places that cost well under $150.

You would probably be best served by calling or e-mailing a few vendors to ask those specific questions: what razor(s) are the most inexpensive, do you hone them at no additional charge and what shipping to AUS. might cost. Vendors in the US and most in Canada will speak English so no language barrier.... sorta', kinda', more or less. :lol:

There are many opportunities to buy used SR's that may be truly shave-ready. This thread is about new truly shave-ready SR's. Used (including vintage) ones are another matter. Most n00bies, myself included, looked for a new straight razor as their first.

So far, I am seeing Griffith and Maggards selling new shave-ready SR's from about USD 150 and up. I don't consider that "cheap" for a n00bie.

Yeah, looking there can be painful. Not advertising for the guy or anything but he really does have some great razors available in the vintage section. I have my own razor grind / size / shape preferences and they fit in much better with 50 to 100 year old razors than those made more recently. So sometimes I find a small puddle of drool on my keyboard when skimming that site. Fortunately I have more than enough razors to have found what I like and have acquired quite a few so now I cherry- pick razors, actually buying very few these days. But there are always a few, and sometimes more than that, shown for sale on his site and I really appreciate the razor, his restoration and the overall quality and value that is usually offered.

Oh no, I shouldn't have looked myself. They have a Le Grelot 6/8 for $149, damn! :drool:

After some looking, alright too much looking, $109 appears to be his cheapest for a shave ready razor. New or old are the same. That's good, but who is spending that and doesn't have an extra $40? 🤔

I guess I was hoping for closer to $90 or even $80.

Yeah, looking there can be painful. Not advertising for the guy or anything but he really does have some great razors available in the vintage section. I have my own razor grind / size / shape preferences and they fit in much better with 50 to 100 year old razors than those made more recently. So sometimes I find a small puddle of drool on my keyboard when skimming that site. Fortunately I have more than enough razors to have found what I like and have acquired quite a few so now I cherry- pick razors, actually buying very few these days. But there are always a few, and sometimes more than that, shown for sale on his site and I really appreciate the razor, his restoration and the overall quality and value that is usually offered.
Same here, fortunately @haggis keeps beating me to them.

Oh no, I shouldn't have looked myself. They have a Le Grelot 6/8 for $149, damn! :drool:
I bought a Le Grelot from Griffith, without honing, and it was shave ready. But again, not inexpensive. And he does have the Wapienica new old stock for $69, but if you check, they are $99 with honing.

And the cost to get a newbie into straight shaving includes a decent strop, brush and soap. So I believe the cost would be in the $200 range if you want to do it right.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I bought a Le Grelot from Griffith, without honing, and it was shave ready. But again, not inexpensive. And he does have the Wapienica new old stock for $69, but if you check, they are $99 with honing.

And the cost to get a newbie into straight shaving includes a decent strop, brush and soap. So I believe the cost would be in the $200 range if you want to do it right.
Yup that's about right. Unless you can pick up an entry level strop from @Tony Miller and a silvertip badger brush from Whipped Dog and a SHAVE READY Gold Dollar that is actually shave ready. In that case you got skin in the game for less than $100. Soap can be pretty cheap. Arko stick is pretty good and only a couple of bucks. Godrej is an excellent cream that is cheap. I like the "Rich Lather" formula in the red tube best.

For shave ready GDs try wetshavingproducts and also jackywalsh, both on fleabay. JW is in UK but ships to US pretty reasonable. His edges won't impress but they will shave. Haven't tried wetshavingproducts. Probably about the same.

Once the heavy lifting is done, the GD is no harder to hone than any other razor.

I wouldn't mind having a Wapi myself. Are those the medical ones with the SS scales?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I wouldn't mind having a Wapi myself. Are those the medical ones with the SS scales?
Unfortunately the Wapienica from Griffith's is now $98 NOS or $155 cleaned up and honed to shave-ready. That makes them about the same as a new basic Ralf Aust including shipping (about $120 to $150).

I know what I would rather have for my money.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Unfortunately the Wapienica from Griffith's is now $98 NOS or $155 cleaned up and honed to shave-ready. That makes them about the same as a new basic Ralf Aust including shipping (about $120 to $150).

I know what I would rather have for my money.

I couldn't stop myself. I have wanted one for years. Pulled the trigger. $69 NOS in the grease. Some day I will probably spring for a RA, too.

From pure curiosity, would a Revisor fit the ask?

C156F2EB-477F-4A8C-AE64-1126D5E5D18E.jpeg

I couldn't stop myself. I have wanted one for years. Pulled the trigger. $69 NOS in the grease. Some day I will probably spring for a RA, too.
Good catch. I still see them for $69. Rbscebu must be seeing a different price, as he is in Cebu in the Philippines. The razors are called out as high quality, quarter hollow carbon steel. And if one does not fancy the SS scales, they can be replaced. Looks like a good deal for starting out. As for @Slash McCoy, could these be as addictive as Gold Dollars?

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Good catch. I still see them for $69. Rbscebu must be seeing a different price, as he is in Cebu in the Philippines. ....
You are right. I am currently in Australia and I checked Griffith's again. The prices I quoted above were in AUD, not USD. My mistake.

Matt calls these Wapienicas out as quality blades, so they should be a good starting point for noobs. I'm tempted to pick one up ... self control ... self control ... self control ... ... ...

Top Bottom