What's new

Cheapest Cartridge Razor - SuperMax Is a Contender

I visited to a local store down here, Sam's Warehouse, and saw that they were selling the SuperMax 3-blade cartridge razor with 10 cartridges for $2. That seemed like a bargain to me, so I bought a packet.

When I got home and opened the packet, I found that the packet had made a mistake, as it actually contained 11 cartridges, 10 boxed in the two plastic containers, and one on the actual razor.

I tried the SuperMax razor yesterday, and it wasn't a Mach 3, as it did drag a bit. But no more so than some of my old 2 blade cartridges, and my Gillette Indian plastic 7 O'Clock DE razor with the clip down top. The shave was still okay - no nicks.

At 18.2 cents per cartridge, that makes it the cheapest cartridge razor system I've ever come across - need I say it - comparable to the cost of the more expensive DE blades.

Has anybody else seen a cheaper cartridge razor system?
Regards,
Renato

Ive used a Personna 10 pack of Twin Blades for a buck from Dollar Tree.Not a bad shave for the price.(not a great one either) $686048_v2.jpg

Last edited:
Ive used a Personna 10 pack of Twin Blades for a buck from Dollar Tree.Not a bad shave for the price.(not a great one either)

I've never been fond of the two blade disposables I bought years ago - two many nicks.
Have they improved?
Regards,
Renato

I've never been fond of the two blade disposables I bought years ago - two many nicks.
Have they improved?
Regards,
Renato

I cant really say if they have improved or not,but 2 blade carts seemed to work better for me than 3 blades.Less tugging and pulling.The shave from these wasnt horrible,no nicks,but didnt seem very sharp.The Wilki 2 blade carts seem to work better.

Ive used a Personna 10 pack of Twin Blades for a buck from Dollar Tree.Not a bad shave for the price.(not a great one either)View attachment 253025

The two-bladed Personna disposables from Wal-Mart look exactly the same except that they are blue in color. They are about $2.50 per package of 12. They actually do a fine job of mowing down stubble other than they are a bit harder to rinse as hair gets stuck between the two blades. For traveling they can't really be beat since TSA won't allow DE blades on board a passenger aircraft. If I ever find your deal (which is almost the deal of the century) I will certainly pick up a couple of packages. I find the expensive three and five blade razors to be a much rougher shave than the dual-bladed Personnas or Wilkies (about the same price, shaves about the same as the Personnas) from Wal-Mart.

My local supermarket Tesco, does a 3 blade system that costs about 3.00 for the Razor with 4 cartridges and 2.50 for packs of 12 cartridges. Like your one, it does drag a bit. It's the cheapest I've seen this side of the Atlantic though.

Last edited:
My local supermarket Tesco, does a 3 blade system that costs about 3.00 for the Razor with 4 cartridges and 2.50 for packs of 12 cartridges. Like your one, it does drag a bit. It's the cheapest I've seen this side of the Atlantic though.
That's pretty good value, in fact I think it's better value than what we get down here from the house brands of the major supermarkets where the cheapest razor with two three blade cartridges (from Aldi's) costs $6 then $8 for a pack of eight cartridges. Though the price isn't that much greater for its 5 blade razor and cartridge refills, at $6 for the razor and $8 for a pack of four cartridges. However, these one's don't drag like the Supermax does.

Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
The Wilkies in a Trac II or Atra work well for me when traveling.

I feel like I've missed out on something whenever I read responses like yours. I think I missed out on something, because I've never seen or used a Trac 11 or an Atra.
Regards,
Renato

The two-bladed Personna disposables from Wal-Mart look exactly the same except that they are blue in color. They are about $2.50 per package of 12. They actually do a fine job of mowing down stubble other than they are a bit harder to rinse as hair gets stuck between the two blades. For traveling they can't really be beat since TSA won't allow DE blades on board a passenger aircraft. If I ever find your deal (which is almost the deal of the century) I will certainly pick up a couple of packages. I find the expensive three and five blade razors to be a much rougher shave than the dual-bladed Personnas or Wilkies (about the same price, shaves about the same as the Personnas) from Wal-Mart.
I bought a couple packs of those from the same store, for potential travel use. Now they're hard to find at DT, mostly they have chinese no-name disposable razors.

That's pretty good value, in fact I think it's better value than what we get down here from the house brands of the major supermarkets where the cheapest razor with two three blade cartridges (from Aldi's) costs $6 then $7 for a pack of four cartridges. Though the price isn't that much greater for its 5 blade razor and cartridge refills. These one's don't drag though.

Regards,
Renato

Slightly off subject but we have an Aldi discount grocery chain in the US. Years ago it had been one of those really fancy expensive food stores but converted over to the discount format for some reason. The grocery carts cost a quarter (25 US cents or a quarter of a dollar, it is a coin) to use and if you return the cart to the corral you get your quarter back. I wonder if the Australian chain is part of the same company. Aldi is actually one of the few places left where a cart full of groceries costs less than $100.

Aldi is in Australia but as far as I know, only on the east coast.
the trolley hire is $2. They have great stuff at great prices but the long checkout queues are a pain when you only need a couple of things.

Slightly off subject but we have an Aldi discount grocery chain in the US. Years ago it had been one of those really fancy expensive food stores but converted over to the discount format for some reason. The grocery carts cost a quarter (25 US cents or a quarter of a dollar, it is a coin) to use and if you return the cart to the corral you get your quarter back. I wonder if the Australian chain is part of the same company. Aldi is actually one of the few places left where a cart full of groceries costs less than $100.

I remember reading somewhere that Aldi was started up by two brothers who went their separate retailing ways, so that your's may be the same as ours, or it may not. Our Aldi started the $2 hostage coin for the grocery carts, and many other supermarkets have followed their lead, though with the option for a dollar coin and two dollar coin.

The Aldi model down here is to sell groceries very cheaply by only selling one of everything at low cost, and for the most part, that one of everything is a house brand item. Then twice each week they have a theme sale - electronics, camping, home entertainment (TVs), computers and computing accessories, hardware, workshop, camping etc - and fill their middle aisle with items from that theme, and they are at very cheap prices relative to normal stores. Their latest venture was to introduce their own version of a coffee pod machine and separate milk frother. Their machine costs $79, the frother $25 and pods are 37 cents each. Compare to Nespresso where the cheapest machine is around $200, cheapest frother is $99 and pods are 70 cents each, and you get a good idea of how Aldi operate.

The other thing Aldi do is save one the airfare to travel to Europe. There is an amazing array of confectionery and cakes and the like from numerous European countries that show up every now and then. They also occasionally sell pretty good rechargeable foil electric razors for $15 each.

Is that similar to what they do where you live?
Regards,
Renato

I thought they strung cartridge shavers up by their thumbs here? :scared:

No, it's just beginners who trash talk cartridges after "discovering" DE blades being cheap and effective.

I like DE razors too, but would never use anything other than a cartridge razor for shaving the back parts of my neck.

Also, I wonder at what people have been using in the cartridge world. I've now tried about a dozen cartridge systems, generally the 5 blade ones work well, some of the 3 blade ones work well, but I've been disappointed with 4 blade ones. One friend finds the 5 blade ones don't work for him at all all. My best one is a house brand 3 blade one from a local grocery store.

So a DE newbie who's only used a couple of cartridge razors that really didn't suit him, may get relatively spectacular results from going to DE razors.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom