What's new

Cheapest Cartridge Razor - SuperMax Is a Contender

I remember reading somewhere that Aldi was started up by two brothers who went their separate retailing ways, so that your's may be the same as ours, or it may not. Our Aldi started the $2 hostage coin for the grocery carts, and many other supermarkets have followed their lead, though with the option for a dollar coin and two dollar coin.

The Aldi model down here is to sell groceries very cheaply by only selling one of everything at low cost, and for the most part, that one of everything is a house brand item. Then twice each week they have a theme sale - electronics, camping, home entertainment (TVs), computers and computing accessories, hardware, workshop, camping etc - and fill their middle aisle with items from that theme, and they are at very cheap prices relative to normal stores. Their latest venture was to introduce their own version of a coffee pod machine and separate milk frother. Their machine costs $79, the frother $25 and pods are 37 cents each. Compare to Nespresso where the cheapest machine is around $200, cheapest frother is $99 and pods are 70 cents each, and you get a good idea of how Aldi operate.

The other thing Aldi do is save one the airfare to travel to Europe. There is an amazing array of confectionery and cakes and the like from numerous European countries that show up every now and then. They also occasionally sell pretty good rechargeable foil electric razors for $15 each.

Is that similar to what they do where you live?
Regards,
Renato

The Aldi stores in the US mainly sell groceries, part of one aisle usually has some European pastries but no computers, no camping supplies, no TVs and only a small part of one aisle has non-grocery items. I haven't seen coffee pod machines or pods there. Almost everything is the house brand. Bags need to be bought and you pack your own groceries after paying your tab. Prices are about 50-70 per cent lower than the name brands.

Currently, the cheapest Supermax 3 blade cart ($1 for 5) costs about the same as a Guard cart.
Supermax should release their own singleblader, but they have become one of the largest suppliers of store brands, & they seem to be concentrating on that market.

Currently, the cheapest Supermax 3 blade cart ($1 for 5) costs about the same as a Guard cart.
Supermax should release their own singleblader, but they have become one of the largest suppliers of store brands, & they seem to be concentrating on that market.
Who do they supply? I think you will find that Edgewell, Dorco and Feintechnik have the private label market to themselves.

I'm told that many store brands are supplied by them.
I remember reading an article some years ago which stated that they had become the second largest manufacturer of cartridges in the world after Gillette in volume terms.
The article also said that very few of their products are sold under their own brands.
I think that the article also may have mentioned that the owner of Supermax bought Elizabeth Taylor's house from her estate immediately after her death.
I admit that I was quite surprised to read this at the time. I hadn't realised thay had become so prominent.
But in the last few years they've fallen off the face of thr earth.
Perhaps their primary markets have been hit by the Guard?

Last edited:
My local supermarket Tesco, does a 3 blade system that costs about 3.00 for the Razor with 4 cartridges and 2.50 for packs of 12 cartridges. Like your one, it does drag a bit. It's the cheapest I've seen this side of the Atlantic though.

I've found the Tesco blades are OK for a quick time shave but the Super-MAx 3 blades coupled with a Gillette foam give me nearly a BBS evey time. For the price I defo aint complaining.

Recently picked up Supermax's Trac ll clone razor with 5 carts for Rs. 50, or 77 cents.
11 cents per cart with a razor thrown in.

I had a quick peek at Amazon UK and found that they have the SuperMax SMX 3 with 10 cartridges for £3.05 with free delivery.

Top Bottom