What's new

Cheapest badger brush on market?

Obviously, I'm not a rational shopper of shaving items!!

View attachment 1043245

It can't be helped! They multiply when wet!

I agree with the above post that the silvertips from Whipped Dog are nice for the price, but not perfect. The first one I got (30mm) was a shedder which Larry replaced no questions asked. The second one is much better, but still commonly looses a couple hairs during use. But for the price point it's a nice knot otherwise and he's great to deal with.

I'm waiting on my Highmountain Silvertip to come from Yaqi's 11.11 sale. Looking forward to trying it.

I would not be so afraid of a cheap badger from Muhle or some of the other German made. Check out the cheaper badgers that Jarod carries at thesuperiorshave. He has photos and you can select the one you want in some cases and he's great about answering questions.

I would stay away from cheap made in China brushes. You never know what you are going to get. Could be good, could be bad, might not even be badger.
I began shaving with Grandpa's old Ever Ready Boar brush. It's about 100 years old today & still works great. Wanting to give the antique brush some time off, I looked around at brushes & boy, they ain't like Grandpa's! Got a 26mm knot brush & it's fine for a brush, but it sucks up and retains enough lather to shave the entire household, 3 cats included! Pretty much a waste of soap when 3x more is needed than with a smaller brush that makes plenty & still has a little left over. I've got several more brushes, badger & synthetic alike, and my favorites are a couple of SMALL brushes, either synthetic or actual Badger.
My daily go-to was advertised as wooden handled, then elsewhere called acrylic; Best Badger and also made of nylon. The picture LOOKED more like what I wanted, so I sent my $5 to China - it's an acrylic blue handle, smaller knot & genuine synthetic "real badger hair". It doesn't need lengthy soaking, lathers like a demon, and rinses clean.
I've got my gargntu-knot brushes & they work fine, but I'm looking for another 19mm knot brush - it's more like Grandpa used and more efficient with soap consumption.

Top Bottom