What's new

Cheapest badger brush on market?

I have this badger brush. It was my first, I don't know how to feel about it, not enjoying it though. Had to buy an Omega boar, I am looking to invest in a better badger brush since I don't think I have experienced the benefits of badger that all you people are raving about.

Attachments

• pinelo-ksurismatos-muhle-nom-gustav-81bl-pure-badger.jpg
    pinelo-ksurismatos-muhle-nom-gustav-81bl-pure-badger.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 22
I’m not st all a fan of pure badger.

Whipped Dog silvertips are great value. I haven’t used a high mountain. Send Larry an email about setting the knot deeper if you face lather. The last one I bought from him was a 20mm set at 45mm loft and it’s still running strong at... 7 yrs later.

I got my Omega 10275 boar at WCS for $10. So I would call it extremely inexpensive.
It's a good small brush so far(4 months in) softened up nicely and is a pleasure to use with good backbone. Time will tell.....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have an Omega 10098 Professional boar that is fully-broken in. I paid around $15 for the brush. The tips of that boar brush are just as soft as my premium silvertip badger brushes that cost more than 10X that amount.

Can I ask how you are planning to use said brush? Do you bowl lather, face lather, a bit of both? Do you value softness and comfort, or are you ok with a bit of scritch?

For instance, if you face lather and value softness, your honesty better off with a synthetic in that price range. If you do a bit of both and don't mind breaking in a brush, I'd say badger. If you bowl lather exclusively and paint on, I'd say boar.

These are all massive generalizations, to be sure. Lots of people face lather with boar and bowl lather with synthetic, but it may help to have more info.

Personally, I use a Simpson pure badger brush that I got for around $25. I face lather, and though it doesn't quite hold as much lather as I like (I'm saving for a Duke 2), it's still a pleasure to use and great starting point.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... has anyone tried it before? ....
I have been using that exact hjm brush for over 5 years now. I find it lathers well and is my best brush for working the lather into my wiskers.

I have cheaper and more expensive brushes, but this is the one that I inevitably choose for most shaves. I don't know why - I just like the feel of it on my face.

Don't buy a "pure" grade badger brush, it's wasted money. For that price you better get a synthetic or a boar brush.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I would not be so afraid of a cheap badger from Muhle or some of the other German made. Check out the cheaper badgers that Jarod carries at thesuperiorshave. He has photos and you can select the one you want in some cases and he's great about answering questions.

I would stay away from cheap made in China brushes. You never know what you are going to get. Could be good, could be bad, might not even be badger.

You're going about this all wrong. For $20 in badger you're going to get a scratchy mess of a brush. Something truly terrible. For a Badger brush to get something even remotely decent you're at least in the $40 range and even then you have to know exactly what to pick as most in this price range are still quite bad. Less than that just go synthetic as you'll get a much better brush for your money.

There's also boar as an option for a low cost brush.

I disagree. Yes, you are right you can find some miserable badgers at those low prices if you don't know what you are looking for, but the higher grade badgers at very low prices do exist on ebay from Chinese vendors. I have found great 22mm Finest brushes for as little as $15.00 and silvertips in the $20.00 to $30.00 range. I have had the best luck with ACE and Virginia Sheng but there are others as well.

You're going about this all wrong. For $20 in badger you're going to get a scratchy mess of a brush. Something truly terrible. For a Badger brush to get something even remotely decent you're at least in the $40 range and even then you have to know exactly what to pick as most in this price range are still quite bad. Less than that just go synthetic as you'll get a much better brush for your money.

There's also boar as an option for a low cost brush.

I disagree. Yes, you are right you can find some miserable badgers at those low prices if you don't know what you are looking for, but the higher grade badgers at very low prices do exist on ebay from Chinese vendors. I have found great 22mm Finest brushes for as little as $15.00 and silvertips in the $20.00 to $30.00 range. I have had the best luck with ACE and Virginia Sheng but there are others as well.
regularly you can find Art of Shaving pure badger brushes (not the travel size) on da bay, for under $20 shipped!!

proxy.php
This is truly an overpriced trashy brush. I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

This is truly an overpriced trashy brush. I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Have you ever used it?

Have you ever used it?

At $20 you do get $20 worth of pure badger brush, which is fine, but it can be a bit difficult to love a pure badger because they tend to be on the prickly side at times. (Disclaimer: My AoS badger is a travel size, not a full size.) The problem is that AoS stores charge $60 for that brush, which is where the overpriced rep comes from.

It tends to feel like a waste of $20 because $30 on eBay will buy a brush with a better and more comfortable grade of badger hair. The AoS brand doesn't really add any value; it's still just a Chinese sourced knot in a plastic handle.

At $20 you do get $20 worth of pure badger brush, which is fine, but it can be a bit difficult to love a pure badger because they tend to be on the prickly side at times. (Disclaimer: My AoS badger is a travel size, not a full size.) The problem is that AoS stores charge $60 for that brush, which is where the overpriced rep comes from.

It tends to feel like a waste of $20 because $30 on eBay will buy a brush with a better and more comfortable grade of badger hair. The AoS brand doesn't really add any value; it's still just a Chinese sourced knot in a plastic handle.

Indeed, Sir Paul, the AOS pure badger brush at $20 is worthwhile. I think mine was $15, nib, shipped.

In any case, I've had many great shaves from it; travels well too, since no big deal if it gets lost. Has more scritch than my silvertips, but that's actually quite ok for me. Never lost a single hair.

aos pure badger brush.jpg

These are made in Germany; I suspect Muehle. In fact, it's very similar to the (slightly smaller) Muehle Pure that followed me back from Hungary a couple summers ago and that retailed for 40 euro at a local barber shop there.

aos vs muehle pure.jpg

I had that AoS brush a couple years ago and wound up tossing it I think. That whole store is overpriced.

Have you ever used it?

I have had four Pure brushes and that satisfied absolutely any curiosity. I would not wish one on my worst enemy. You may have noted that somewhere here recently I posted that I have a reknotted AOS Temporary brush. It was Pure Badger and absolutely trash until I put a TGN Finest knot in it and now it is one of my favorite travel brushes. I like it MUCH more than my Wee Scot.

I have had four Pure brushes and that satisfied absolutely any curiosity. I would not wish one on my worst enemy. You may have noted that somewhere here recently I posted that I have a reknotted AOS Temporary brush. It was Pure Badger and absolutely trash until I put a TGN Finest knot in it and now it is one of my favorite travel brushes. I like it MUCH more than my Wee Scot.

you probably had one of their sample/starter/travel brushes. i was able to get a couple dozen AOS starter kits a few years back on close-out for less than $2 each, and enjoyed giving them away to family and friends. Only heard positive reactions.

your other pure badgers might have been cheap, lower quality brushes, which turned you off in total!

you probably had one of their sample/starter/travel brushes. i was able to get a couple dozen AOS starter kits a few years back on close-out for less than $2 each, and enjoyed giving them away to family and friends. Only heard positive reactions.

your other pure badgers might have been cheap, lower quality brushes, which turned you off in total!

But why bother with a Pure at all when you can find Best, Finest, and Silvertip and competitive prices?

Top Bottom