What's new

Cheapest badger brush on market?

hello guys, i was looking for a really cheap badger brush, i've this Muehle HJM brush,
rasierpinsel-hjm-kunststoff-schwarz-dachshaar_181p26.jpg

seems to be among the cheapest, has anyone tried it before? and if not, are there some good cheapie badger brushes out there? thanks

Have a look at Vig Shaving on Ali Express.

I bought a two band and a silvertip about 18 months ago for peanuts and they are both lovely brushes.

They've put their prices up a bit in the last 6 months or so, but they're still excellent value.

The only drawback is that they can take about 3 weeks to turn up.

If you want cheap and quality badger brush, look at yaqi and dscosmetics on aliexpress. Don't go the cheapest pure badger as they don't feel like badger.

Sent from my BLA-AL00 using Tapatalk

I use a Fendrihan store branded brush. It's pure grade badger, so its kind of scratchy but I actually like that. I've been using it for a few years now and it's great. 20mm knot, but it's bloomed into a pretty big brush. It's $25 Canadian.

Is there a reason you’re looking to go cheapest? Might not be the best idea for a badger brush. You will find some abysmal brushes sub $20 in badger. But you’ll find absolutely terrific synthetics for the same price.

You're going about this all wrong. For $20 in badger you're going to get a scratchy mess of a brush. Something truly terrible. For a Badger brush to get something even remotely decent you're at least in the $40 range and even then you have to know exactly what to pick as most in this price range are still quite bad. Less than that just go synthetic as you'll get a much better brush for your money.

There's also boar as an option for a low cost brush.

Is there a reason you’re looking to go cheapest? Might not be the best idea for a badger brush. You will find some abysmal brushes sub $20 in badger. But you’ll find absolutely terrific synthetics for the same price.
hmm are synthetics better than boar brushes? i have a boar brush and i am not satisfied how it retains heat, would you kindly suggest some good synthetics?

hmm are synthetics better than boar brushes? i have a boar brush and i am not satisfied how it retains heat, would you kindly suggest some good synthetics?

Is Silvestre Pino Synthetic brush any good then?

Welcome to B&B Komm!

To your first question, there are undoubtedly fans of all three types of brushes (boar, badger and synthetics). My best advice, over a long timeline would be to try multiples of all types for yourself before coming to a conclusion. Second, a synthetic will not hold heat well because the bristles do not absorb water the way a boar does. While some appreciate a brush that can hold a warm lather in the winter months, characteristics such as loft, backbone, softness and lathering capabilities are usually more important. I have found synthetics work best for me and carry a bias that direction.

I’m also not familiar with the Silvestre brush. Are you in Canada? It appears to be an Italian Barber brand. If you are, Razorock has some nice affordable synthetics. I personally have a Razorock 400 brush with a plissoft knot and find it to be excellent. Other great synthetics can be had from Maggards and West Coast Shaving in their house brands. Yaqi is a Chinese company that makes excellent brushes as well. Those can be found at WCS or Amazon or Alibaba. All of the brushes I mention above can be had for less than $20 and whip up amazing lather.

By the way, I’m sure many of us could recommend a decent badger for you under $40. Maybe even under $30. You don’t need to spend Simpson money for a great brush. But like I said, cheapest might make you miserable. I started years ago with an “Escali” from Amazon for $10. Worst brush ever. Don’t believe the reviews you see.

There are also excellent boars in the $10-20 range just like synthetics.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Lots of guys here to help!

Welcome to B&B Komm!

To your first question, there are undoubtedly fans of all three types of brushes (boar, badger and synthetics). My best advice, over a long timeline would be to try multiples of all types for yourself before coming to a conclusion. Second, a synthetic will not hold heat well because the bristles do not absorb water the way a boar does. While some appreciate a brush that can hold a warm lather in the winter months, characteristics such as loft, backbone, softness and lathering capabilities are usually more important. I have found synthetics work best for me and carry a bias that direction.

I’m also not familiar with the Silvestre brush. Are you in Canada? It appears to be an Italian Barber brand. If you are, Razorock has some nice affordable synthetics. I personally have a Razorock 400 brush with a plissoft knot and find it to be excellent. Other great synthetics can be had from Maggards and West Coast Shaving in their house brands. Yaqi is a Chinese company that makes excellent brushes as well. Those can be found at WCS or Amazon or Alibaba. All of the brushes I mention above can be had for less than $20 and whip up amazing lather.

By the way, I’m sure many of us could recommend a decent badger for you under $40. Maybe even under $30. You don’t need to spend Simpson money for a great brush. But like I said, cheapest might make you miserable. I started years ago with an “Escali” from Amazon for $10. Worst brush ever. Don’t believe the reviews you see.

+1

You can purchase a badger shaving brush on Amazon for as little as $0.46 plus $2.99 shipping. I suspect it is made for professional barbers who still offer straight razor shave who apply lather with a shaving brush and dispose of the brush after a single shave. I doubt you would get many shaves before it fell apart. On the other hand a well-made brush can give you many years of service if maintained properly.

If your budget will not allow spending a minimum of $30 on a shaving brush, I would recommend that you purchase either a boar brush or a synthetic brush. Because of the high cost of obtaining high-quality badger hair, less expensive badger brushes normally have at one or more of the following issues: small knot diameter, low knot density (floppy), scritchy face feel, poor construction (hair loss).

On the other hand, you can get a decent boar or synthetic brush for around $15. Once broken in, a boar brush can be just as soft as a silvertip badger costing 10 times as much. Synthetic brushes come in a variety of knot types allowing you to pick the performance characteristics you desire. Synthetics are also great travel brushes as they are easy to maintain. So even if you lather purchase a nice badger brush, a synthetic brush will still have a place in your den.

I bought a brush advertised as silvertip for $9.99 off of the bay. It looks great. I'm not sure it's really badger. It holds water in a funky way. However it does do well with powder so I use it to apply powder now. It will NEVER be a shaving brush.

Welcome to B&B Komm!

+2

If you wish to spend $20 or less, suggest synthetic or boar. Badger brushes in that price range can be rather unpleasant to use.

+1! I love badgers!! :a14::a14:

Unfortunately, my price point for an enjoyable badger is more than for a good/very good boar or synthetic.

The cheapest badger of reasonable quality that I've found is the Maggard 2-band. It's about $25, but if you can catch it on sale, could be $15-20. Anything cheaper is terrible. The worst irritation I ever got was trying to face-lather with an AoS cheapie.

Thanks for the replies people, will try to save then for a more average badger brush.

I got my Omega 10275 boar at WCS for $10. So I would call it extremely inexpensive.
It's a good small brush so far(4 months in) softened up nicely and is a pleasure to use with good backbone. Time will tell.....
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom