What's new

Charming GEM razor.

Gentlemen bought a GEM razor made in England. As I immediately understood the razor is rare and valuable. I'm curious to know the name of this charming model. Were they released only in the UK or in the US as well? What year was it produced and what was the circulation. As far as I understand, the kit came in its original form. This razor is a mystery to me.

IMG-d3b9a24e13c307faae6f98f20b875158-V.jpg

Very nice, especially with the stropper included. Look for dates on the razor head and post pictures of the razor head from above and the front, as well as opened up.

This kit probably once had a strop stored in the center where the blades boxes are sitting. That particular kit may have been UK only.

Connaught sells Gem PTFE coated blades in the UK.

And it is a Gem '1912', the patent date that is visible on the collar where the handle threads in. A nice find, indeed!
View attachment 1592048
I know this razor is based on a 1912 patent, but I'm wondering when exactly was it made? The forum writes that this is a remake of the legendary razor made in the 1950s. The catalog is dated 1931. Ewer Ready from the 1930s in the UK began to release later than in the US.

IMG-8e4ac5f5b86d7cfbff9df040be1f1fa2-V.jpg

but I'm wondering when exactly was it made?

ASR did not mark their razors with a manufacturing date or code. All of the dating I have heard is expressed as ranges of years, based on dated catalogs and advertising. The thread referenced by @Whiterook is positive about a 1950s manufacturing date for the Sun Ray sets like yours, but doesn't present the evidence. Which catalog dates the Sun Ray to 1931? Or were you referring to the image shown with the various Ever-Ready photos and ad images?

Based on my understanding of the slow recovery of the UK consumer goods market after the second world war, and the eventual disappearance of SE blade stropping, the early 1950s sounds right to me for your Sun Ray set.

Does that registration number on the inside of the lid allow for any further dating from UK government records?

Just for more context, have you seen these threads?

Top Bottom