What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Hard to take a bad picture of the copper gen 2, too - don’t know how I could ever sell this thing. Brad, Leverspro, Calm Shaver, et al. - please post yours if you feel so inclined, it is a pleasure to see these razors, especially after they have been owned and used by someone for a while

I'm out camping till Tuesday. I'll post the CG family shot when I get back.

The Lvl 3 didn't have the same feeling or magic for me that the Lvl 2 has.

I have a couple of Level 3s. The Gen 2 in stainless is just magic for me. I have a Gen 1 Level 3 in Brass and it's a bit over my aggression threshold. But I still like diving over that line every now and again. The Gen 3 Level 3 is more like an Gen 2 Level 2 in its feel and efficiency. With that big bulky head it's not the same though.

I’ve been hording CG razors for a few years. Now that they don’t make them the same any more I’m glad I did. I have six or seven complete razors. And a ton of handles. Sometimes I think about selling some to free up some funds for other razors. Then I come to my senses. I think I’d sell off all of my Wolfman razors first. 😜😜😎😎 I really do get a lot of joy from my CG razors. Even though I have a few razors that shave smoother or closer, or both, I really do love CG. The Blackland Tradere OC is my number one at the moment. But that is weird clunky thing. The Wolfs are like a Ferrari…. Super precision and finesse. Blackland stuff is like a beefy muscle car… raw power. But the Charcoal Goods embody the best of all those things. Plus the artistry of those original generation are mesmerizing. I really need to take a CG family photo and post it.
I've also hoarded quite a few CG razors (and now wish I had hoarded a few more). They are definitely the pride and joy of my collection and would be the last to go. Judging by how rarely I see the early gens posted for sale, I suspect most CG owners feel the same way. I love my Wolfmans, and they are stellar shavers, but they lack the soul of those early CGs. When I get some time, I'll try to post some photos as well.

I've also hoarded quite a few CG razors (and now wish I had hoarded a few more). They are definitely the pride and joy of my collection and would be the last to go. Judging by how rarely I see the early gens posted for sale, I suspect most CG owners feel the same way. I love my Wolfmans, and they are stellar shavers, but they lack the soul of those early CGs. When I get some time, I'll try to post some photos as well.

You have wrote the perfect sentence to "draw" those early CG generation.
They have that sort of "soul" that makes them totally different from other razors. They are not perfect , they are superb designed and somehow you reach them more frequently than the perfect Wolfmans

Interesting shave today. My copper gen2 lvl2 is in my weekly rotation and today I put this Personna Platinum in it that I've been using all week in a different razor each day. It has felt fairly harsh and bitey all week but today the CG totally smoothed it out for the most comfortable shave of the week.
Imagepipe_62.jpg

I have felt that the CG Gen 3 didn't have the magic of the Gen 2, but may have to revisit that after using the Gen 3 Lvl 2 over the past several days. Brian says both the new Lvl 2 and the Everyday and the other new heads have a lot more blade clamping and rigidity over any of the previous designs, and I'm starting to really appreciate that. I get close shaves but they are very mild, without irritation. It is really an amazing razor, and a beautiful one, if not as classic as the Gen 2 copper razors.

The Gen 3 Lvl 2 is smooth despite having a 0.86mm blade gap and .004" blade exposure. This exceeds the blade gap and blade exposure on a lot of razors that are not considered "mild." (For example, the Timeless 0.95 has a 0.002" blade exposure.) I know blade exposure and blade gap are not everything when it comes to how a razor performs, but I think Brian has created something really special with these Gen 3 razors - smooth and efficient - and the new hammered handle is very nice indeed! Well done, I would say, on all counts.

As always YMMV

I have felt that the CG Gen 3 didn't have the magic of the Gen 2, but may have to revisit that after using the Gen 3 Lvl 2 over the past several days. Brian says both the new Lvl 2 and the Everyday and the other new heads have a lot more blade clamping and rigidity over any of the previous designs, and I'm starting to really appreciate that. I get close shaves but they are very mild, without irritation. It is really an amazing razor, and a beautiful one, if not as classic as the Gen 2 copper razors.

The Gen 3 Lvl 2 is smooth despite having a 0.86mm blade gap and .004" blade exposure. This exceeds the blade gap and blade exposure on a lot of razors that are not considered "mild." (For example, the Timeless 0.95 has a 0.002" blade exposure.) I know blade exposure and blade gap are not everything when it comes to how a razor performs, but I think Brian has created something really special with these Gen 3 razors - smooth and efficient - and the new hammered handle is very nice indeed! Well done, I would say, on all counts.

As always YMMV
Hmm. I sense a weakening! :adoration:
I'd actually really like to try the gen3lvl3 and I just picked up an old copper anchor handle off the Bst (sparing you all of the temptation) and I don't like extra handles laying around in the drawer, but Brian isn't machining razor parts right now and is sold out of caps and lvl3 bases.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I also feel the new Gen 3's are not a "good" as the older ones. But then again, if I remember correctly, there was talk about the Gen 2's not being as good as Gen 1 when they came out too. Regardless, the Gen 3's are still awesome razors. Well made, and great shavers. They just dont fit my needs as well as the older versions. I still have a Gen 3 with Level 2, 3 and Everyday plates. I dont use them as much as I should. I need to revisit them. I will say that the Gen 3 Level 3 is not as aggressive and is easier to shave with than both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Level 3. At least for me. I would have called it the "Gen 2 Plus". :p:D

The Gen 3s are a great razor design IMO for the reasons mentioned above - smoother, more comfortable shaves than the gen 1 and 2s but without sacrificing efficiency (or at least not much). That said, I do not love the bulkiness of the head or the plate loading of the blade. I also feel the gen 2s and especially the gen 1s embody the "look" I've come to associate with CG. The Gen 3 is still a handsome razor, but there was something about those earlier designs. I'm also not a fan of hollow handles and would prefer that Brian go back to his original solid handle designs. Other than the Stinger and the Magnum, his handles were never overly heavy so I'm not sure why he went hollow this time around.

Overall, I think Brian did a great job with the gen 3, but I wish he hadn't disconinued the older designs.

Beautiful! Can you identify left to right please?
Sure, they are all Lv 2 (different versions though) exept the right one with hammered handle. This is the everyday (first batch).

I have tried a Lv 3, but did not like the shaves compared to my Lv 2 and sold it.

I am now looking for a Level 1. ;-)

Thanks! And what Gens are they?

I agree with you about the Lvl 3. I have a Gen 2 Lvl 2 and a Gen 3 Lvl 2, and love them both but have a preference for the Gen 2.

Good luck with your search

Thanks! And what Gens are they?

I agree with you about the Lvl 3. I have a Gen 2 Lvl 2 and a Gen 3 Lvl 2, and love them both but have a preference for the Gen 2.

Good luck with your search
Brass Stinger - Gen 3 top and Gen 1 baseplate
Brass Anchor - Gen 4 top and Gen 2 baseplate (baseplate without serialnumber)
Copper Stinger - Gen 4 top and Gen 2 baseplate

....according to this post.

Top Bottom