What's new

Changing Taste in Music

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am an 80's product. I love 80's hard rock and metal. The other day I heard Laura Brannigan's "Gloria", I thought to myself damn that was a good song. Not a change but it kind of reminded I do have a bit of a softer streak at times.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are not many forms of music that I don't enjoy, and most of those are formulaic modern "rock" and "country"

I think, for me at least, that I'm constantly evolving with music. Just like life, new and interesting things peak my interests. Not that I don't still enjoy or appreciate music that I listened to exclusively in the past, but I do get kind of tired of it now. I'd say for the past 2 or 3 years I've listened to jazz (of some kind) nearly everyday and I really enjoy it because it's still fresh and new to me. Regardless if the artist is a new artist or not. It's still new to me because it's the first time I'm hearing them in a lot of cases. I'm sure after a while I may get a little bored with jazz and really get into something else. And if I do that's ok with me.

In some ways it's kind of like a few people I know that go to the same vacation spot every year. I could never do that. I want to experience someplace I've never been. If I find a place I like, I'll go back and enjoy myself, but eventually I'll be looking for another destination.

I didn't hear all of this segment, but it is somehwat frightful:

The Scandinavian Secret Behind All Your Favorite Songs

The algorithms are real. The formula exists. There are a lot of people who are mega rich because they use it. David Byrne has AN AMAZING book out called "How Music Works". If this stuff interests you, I highly recommend it. Byrne explains his internal computer and gives you an incredible insight to the incredibly complex chemistry of the topic.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The algorithms are real. The formula exists. There are a lot of people who are mega rich because they use it. David Byrne has AN AMAZING book out called "How Music Works". If this stuff interests you, I highly recommend it. Byrne explains his internal computer and gives you an incredible insight to the incredibly complex chemistry of the topic.
Maybe that is why I don't care for much music- too formulaic. I don't care for Rush either- they sound too perfect, if you know what I mean. My favorite music is blues, but my favorite band is the Zeppelin, which borrowed a lot from blues. Blues is messy.

Maybe that is why I don't care for much music- too formulaic. I don't care for Rush either- they sound too perfect, if you know what I mean. My favorite music is blues, but my favorite band is the Zeppelin, which borrowed a lot from blues. Blues is messy.
While I'm a HUGE Rush fan, I won't defend them as we all know they're hit or miss. I mean top 40 where this formula is most applied. Rush isn't catchy. Rush is musical. I mean the algorithm is applied to the likes of Taylor Swift and such.. Rush is rogue and got lucky in their own genius, whether liked or not.

I have always felt if a piece of musical composition, performance, or ensemble can only be defined by itself, it has captured "it". Whatever "it" is I really have no idea and it sounds really goofy if I try to define "it".

I have always felt if a piece of musical composition, performance, or ensemble can only be defined by itself, it has captured "it". Whatever "it" is I really have no idea and it sounds really goofy if I try to define "it".

That's what rules my listening habits. And to take it a step further, if the singer's voice doesn't have "it," whether it's Bob Dylan on one extreme or Emmylou Harris on the other, I can't listen.

Old country, old western, bluegrass. Stuff on the radio today ain't music. Calssical & opera have been long faves. Jazz & blues I've grown into as I aged.

I was a child of the 70s. A leisure suit, platform shoes, a bottle of Brut, and a 3.2 disco was a typical Friday night. The Bee Gees will get my knees twitching still today.

Old country, old western, bluegrass. Stuff on the radio today ain't music. Calssical & opera have been long faves. Jazz & blues I've grown into as I aged.

I was a child of the 70s. A leisure suit, platform shoes, a bottle of Brut, and a 3.2 disco was a typical Friday night. The Bee Gees will get my knees twitching still today.

There was some good musical energy in the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There was some good musical energy in the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack.
I have to admit, if I hear "You Should Be Dancing" I roll up the windows and crank the radio. :) Not a religious guy, but have been listening to a lot of classical guitar lately. This guy rocks it

I've started appreciating some New Age music that I had no use for the first time around.

Also, since last summer I've been regularly going to see live local Indie bands at a very small venue, and I'm sure I'm at least double (or even triple) the age of everybody else there.

I still keep a few Desert Island Collection pieces on my iPod though - Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Cream, Beatles.

If I buy music it's most likely to be from bandcamp.com, and never iTunes.

Top Bottom