What's new

Chandler Burr Untitled Series

Not sure how much they will cost...and there are only 100 bottles available each month, but it might be interesting...

they are in 50ml bottles so maybe if one person signs up they could decant it into ten decants of 5ml and split it among 10 members :wink2:

Chandler Burr the curator of The Department of Olfactory Art at New
York's Museum of Arts and Design, the scent editor for GQ magazine and
the former scent critic for The New York Times
, is creating a project on OpenSky
that’s never been done before. He’s bringing scent to life online. It’s
called the Untitled Series.

On the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of every month Chandler will choose a perfume that’s already on the market – some famous and
some from niche collections. From this scent, he will remove all marketing --
no bottle, no package, no brand, no name and will put the scent in a 50ml lab
bottle – allowing you
to experience these scent works as scent and nothing else. He will give shoppers only the guidance of his
carefully chosen words to understand each and determine if the fragrance is
right for them. His goal is to both enable and encourage shoppers to rethink
perfume as a work of art, free from all visual cues and marketing techniques.
Scents include those from the late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century to last week, in all styles and all by the greatest
scent artists in the world.

There will be only 100 bottles available in the series, this month (the amount might
slightly vary from month to month). The first fragrance called S01E01
(Season One Episode One)and will launch this Friday, June 1[SUP]st[/SUP] on
OpenSky and the identity of the scent as well as more about
the artist who created it will be revealed to shoppers on the last day of June.
The series will continue with a new launch on the first of every month and a
subsequent reveal on the last day of each month.

Last edited:
I am definitely affected (both positively and negatively) by outside influences. Take away reviews and opinions and It would be interesting to learn if there are some fragrances that I would now like that I once did not or vice versa.

At any point is he going to reveal what the fragrances actually are?

he says he will reveal the name of the fragrance at the end of the month and put it up for sale on the site...

I like the concept. I've often wondered how how I would react to fragrances if I didn't know anything about them except how they smell.

I'm game to host if anyone else is in. Burr is charging $50 for 50ml. We need 4 guys at 10ml each. Here's a quote from Chandler Burr on the first frag:

"There are so many ways to approach a fragrance’s construction. S01E01 happens to be a work commissioned by a patron and created by an artist whom I admire. They’ve done something that takes guts, and that is putting money into a juice and not making a show of it. Subtlety makes things interesting and restraint, done correctly, makes them beautiful. S01E01’s structure is virtually invisible; it is one of the most seamless pieces of scent work I know, almost unnervingly perfect. It has an astonishing olfactory texture, soft, cool, precise.
The beauty in this scent lies, in part, in the fact that it is designed to function while making virtually no noise at all. Wearing it makes you feel like you’ve walked away to a distant point and sat down in a cloud bank; it lends you the purity of purpose and the luxury of self-imposed isolation.

Definitely let me hear from you. Keep in mind, please: This isn’t about guessing what the fragrance is. The point is the experience of a work of olfactory art on your arm without a name or anything other than what the artist set, in its purest state, before you. So gives us that experience. And on June 29th, the day before I put up S01E02, I’ll tell you the name, patron, and artist of this exquisite work. It’s a scent I think will, if you listen to it carefully, change the way you perceive perfume."

Of course I'm in! $50 is a bit steep for me for a random scent I know nothing about...but splitting it up would make it much more approachable.
I'm assuming this is a unisex scent too...he doesn't say if it's for men or women.

I'd also be cool with 8 guys at 5ml each if there's enough interest...

We could do a mix of 10ml and 5ml, whatever we need to make it work. However, we need more than just the 3 of us!

I'm really sorry I didn't see this earlier. I would have definately been in for 10mL. It's my understanding that the frag sold out in 4 days. Chandler Burr is really doing a great thing by this project.

Randy (archerfire) thanks for the offer, i really hope it stands as these progress. B&B is a premier spot for mens frag discussion, we need to be on top of this :biggrin:

Here is the comment section link for the first one:
https://opensky.com/chandlerburr/product/the-untitled-series-s01e01

Last edited:
I'm really sorry I didn't see this earlier. I would have definately been in for 10mL. It's my understanding that the frag sold out in 4 days. Chandler Burr is really doing a great thing by this project.

Randy (archerfire) thanks for the offer, i really hope it stands as these progress. B&B is a premier spot for mens frag discussion, we need to be on top of this :biggrin:

Here is the comment section link for the first one:
https://opensky.com/chandlerburr/product/the-untitled-series-s01e01

I am really late to this, but I adopt everything Josh says above!

Is it too late to get in on this? Hope not, this sounds very interesting and fun ;-)

EDIT: Just went to Open Sky and this offering is sold out already. Did anyone here pick some up for a split??

Last edited:
We missed the first one, but I'm still open to host on the second offering.

Quintar
blantyre
joshmpdx
TheKnize
rickcharles606

If you guys are in on the second one, please let me know. Also, let me know the amount, 5 or 10ml. I need to save at least 5ml for good ol' Archerfire. Hopefully, we can catch the second one when it comes available.

Of course I'm up for it. I'd prefer 5ml but if need be I could do 10ml.
Also open sky keeps sending me $20 credits so we could probably use one of those if there is one active at the start of the month

Count me in for 5ml if there is room.

If this gains in popularity I wouldn't mind hosting a split of another bottle if you don't want to.

there's a $10 4th of july credit if you buy over $40...i thought it was a flat $10 on any purchase so I almost bought S01E02 since it'd be almost half price! but if archerfire or someone wants to decant it'd be worth it to get 2 and use the coupon

Top Bottom