What's new

Chance to buy a 1938 Gillette Popular? Help me find out more about this gem

All in all there only was six different heads for all Aristocrats. Most Popular razors were Rhodium plated, but then there was the budget version with nickel plating. I've got the budget version, but in good condition.

Hi,

Cool. I have wondered just how many there were. Meaning head designs and not the variations of handles and plating.

I presume that you are not counting the two Adjustable designs which were sold using the Aristocrat name. Are you counting the original Old Type based Crat in the six, or just the TTO ones?

Stan

Hi,

Cool. I have wondered just how many there were. Meaning head designs and not the variations of handles and plating.

I presume that you are not counting the two Adjustable designs which were sold using the Aristocrat name. Are you counting the original Old Type based Crat in the six, or just the TTO ones?

Stan

Punctilious...:001_tt2:

Hi,

Stan
Only the TTO ones.

Like mine...

proxy.php

:001_tt1:
Anyone else hates that guy?! :a32: :cursing: :2guns::a33:

It's on the way...

Thanks all of your help! I'll post some pictures once my Gillette Popular is here ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gillette Popular was possibly popular but never very common. And now they are very rare -- possibly as rare as the bottom dial adjustable. How often do they appear on Ebay or any site selling the vintage Gillettes? Like many of the classic Gillette DE razors, they are a work of art. A decent shaver but beautiful and fairly aggressive. The Popular requires finesse and skill to get a great shave, but using it will make you feel aristocratic and popular only among those of your fellow shavers who admire or lust after the vintage razors from yesteryear. I'll search for some photos of my collection, but am eager to see what you get once your Popular arrives.

Like mine...

proxy.php

:001_tt1:

Very nice, John!!! (@imatabor)

OP, it's a fantastic shaver. On the "aggressive" side, whatever it means. Just be careful.

And, no, they're not cheap...
I guess the Popular is OK, as long as you are into beautiful razors than shave magnificently.
Other than that they are pretty ho-hum......:001_tt2:...........:001_smile

As promised. Just received it in the mail.

Very excited to polish this one up but the doors don't open / close properly... Think the TTO mechanism is broken :-(

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

As promised. Just received it in the mail.

Very excited to polish this one up but the doors don't open / close properly... Think the TTO mechanism is broken :-(
The mechanism is probably not broken. One of the "quirks" of the Popular is that the doors are floppy and need a little assistance to put them into place for closing.

@Jake - I was surprised to hear you say that the Populars are so scarce. I must have lucked into mine as I was just getting into DE shaving. I came across mine on eBay from an Australian seller. I certainly did not pay anywhere near the price of a bottom-dial.

The mechanism is probably not broken. One of the "quirks" of the Popular is that the doors are floppy and need a little assistance to put them into place for closing.

Does your popular also behave as follows?

Opening the TTO screw does nothing to the doors:

proxy.php

But pushing the TTO screw up seems to open the doors (makes it look like a slant - I have to manually help out):

proxy.php

May I ask you to maybe send some pictures of your popular open / closed?

I didn't say the Popular is as expensive as the Bottom Dialers. They are just as scarce. I'll look for my assembly/disassembly images.

I was unable to locate the thread on my assembly/disasembly comments. But here's one image of some of my Popular collection. The heads are repairable.
proxy.php

If you are in USA send the razor to Captain Murphy!

Jake, you've been missing the blade banks - how come?
What happened to the time machine?

And finally:
proxy.php

I think these are some of the most beautiful razors Gillette made. Wish they had been more common. I'm sure they were among the most popular.

If you are in USA send the razor to Captain Murphy!

Jake, you've been missing the blade banks - how come?
What happened to the time machine?

Im not in USA... Any such services in Europe? Or do they do international repair and shipping?

Top Bottom