What's new

Chance to buy a 1938 Gillette Popular? Help me find out more about this gem

Since I was trying to get a Gillette OC TTO razor for a while now. I very randomly stumbled across one of what seems a Gillette's Popular from 1938.

I've been looking for more details on this razor but couldn't find definitive answers - l some dating back so far that the attached pictures don't work anymore.

The baseplate reads as follows:

BRIT PAT. | NO 430030
Gillette Arrow Logo | MADE IN ENGLAND

Is it worth getting? What kind of shaves will it give? I have an old Gillette manufactured old type - branded Enn Werke; comparable?What are the differences to other OC's?

What are your general thoughts on this razor?

Thanks for all the help - looking forward to post to the acquisition thread again soon [emoji1]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php

proxy.php

I believe those are rare!

Is looks suspiciously like the Gillette Sheraton/Senator. And the time frame is the same.

From what I've learned, the "specifications" of British and US are the same. When the specs changed in the US, they changed in England. The British razors are constructed a little different than US razors and tend to be heavier, but the shave the same.

My Popular is a wonderful shaver. Slightly more aggressive than mild. Which handle style is it? Mine is the Barber Pole. It has a great weight. She is the one front and center.

Crat family.jpg

I've got the British Gillette Pocular you're asking about. I do also have exactly the same head on a British Aristocrat. The Aristocrat is heavier, and even more beautiful, but otherwise they shave pretty much in the same way. That means medium aggression and extremely comfortable.

I've got the British Gillette Pocular you're asking about. I do also have exactly the same head on a British Aristocrat. The Aristocrat is heavier, and even more beautiful, but otherwise they shave pretty much in the same way. That means medium aggression and extremely comfortable.

If they have the same head - why not use the same name? Gillette had their own way with naming I guess...

I read somewhere that the Popular was Rhodium plated - is that what your popular has?

If they have the same head - why not use the same name? Gillette had their own way with naming I guess...

I read somewhere that the Popular was Rhodium plated - is that what your popular has?
All in all there only was six different heads for all Aristocrats. Most Popular razors were Rhodium plated, but then there was the budget version with nickel plating. I've got the budget version, but in good condition.

Like mine...

proxy.php

:001_tt1:

Very nice, John!!! (@imatabor)

OP, it's a fantastic shaver. On the "aggressive" side, whatever it means. Just be careful.

And, no, they're not cheap...
Wow Juan a complete set. I have very few cases let alone boxes and papers...very nice.

I only paid $16 for mine and a junk shop. It had a dropped knob but it was an easy fix.

Looks quite a bit like my '38 Sheraton, except for handle. Love the shaves I get. Have been using mine nonstop since getting it back from being replated. Get the razor; I doubt you'll regret it. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom