What's new

Cerakote Coated Razors

I have been wondering about having one of my stainless steel razors coated. I think an all black razor, or black handle and top cap with another colour base plate would be cool. Similar to anodized aluminum but for stainless.

One options I've seen is Cerakote. Just wondering if B&B'ers have experience with this, and, if so, if there are any longer-term wear on the coating.

Of course, pics are welcomed!

Sadly, Jay from Delta Echo closed up shop over a year ago. He did an amazing Gunkote job for me with some 195s.

The good news is North Shore Razors also does Gunkote. I haven’t used them myself but they get great reviews and their work looks excellent.

Depending on the coating, if it is well done, it should last quite some time. However, there can always be some loss of coating throughout time and bumps and dings. The coating will not alter the shave of a razor, from my experience.
I had a Weber PH head coated in cerakote black and there was no change to the shaves.

You want to go with Gunkote for that reason. Cerakote isn’t flexible. The popularity of Cerakote has to do with available colors but Gunkote has been catching up. Nothing stands up on the range like Gunkote, and nothing you’re going to do in your bathroom will hurt that finish.

I believe that North Shore still does Cerakote. I had a FB done a couple years ago but have since sold it so I don't have any pics. If memory serves me Delta Echo went belly up and a search showed up a company called Sherlock Razor Company.

North Shore switched to Gunkote a while back. Delta Echo had plenty of business, too much actually and Jay closed up himself. I had to wait 3 months for my 195s because he was so busy back then.

I’ve read the turnaround for North Shore is lightening fast currently.

Attachments

• A3D08E84-6F95-42B1-B63F-8D1F1AE89E63.png
    A3D08E84-6F95-42B1-B63F-8D1F1AE89E63.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 39
You want to go with Gunkote for that reason. Cerakote isn’t flexible. The popularity of Cerakote has to do with available colors but Gunkote has been catching up. Nothing stands up on the range like Gunkote, and nothing you’re going to do in your bathroom will hurt that finish.

Thanks. I'll have to take a look into Gunkote vs Cerakote. I can't imagine shaving being much wear on a coated razor, especially compared to a gun.

I had a local(ish) gunsmith lay some Cerakote on a rather ratty-looking Fasan Double Slant:

View attachment 1188427

His picture, before he sent it back. That reminds me I should crank it up again sometime soon.

O.H.

That's a beauty! Did he have to do any prep to the razor before coating? I was thinking I'd find a local gunsmith to do it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
That's a beauty! Did he have to do any prep to the razor before coating?

Thanks! Here's the before...

IMG_0418[1].JPG

I used it a couple of times before sending it off for coating. I wanted to be sure I liked it well enough to spend the money. It's an all-Zamak razor, generally in good mechanical condition but as you can see the plating was heavily pitted in the places it still had plating. the head and knob were just bare Zamak.

I easily spent as much as I would have on a razor in excellent original condition -- but I also have to say there wasn't a bidding war for this ratty old soldier.

We discussed matters first. He said he had to do some surface prep but would be careful. I'm not sure what his blasting medium was. Soda, I think.

O.H.

Here is one for you, this is how they stack up against each other with severe abuse.

I will say that Cerakote does have a better scratch test number because it is harder, but due to this hardness the finish is prone to chipping and cracking on drops/impacts. Gunkote is less hard than Cerakote but still does much better on scratch tests compared to most electroplated finishes.

On the range, Gunkote finishes last years longer. Any finish will wear out eventually, but on a razor, Gunkote is the best option compared to Cerakote.

Top Bottom