What's new

Center Punch Brass Handle

I had a quick stop at my local Harborfreight this morning while searching for open Barbershops to get a haircut (no luck there) and a brass centerpunch attracted my attention. Brought one home and put a 10-32 tap through it, it was the perfect size. It has two chambers so additional weight could be added. By itself it weighs 52.60 grams. I think it is quite nice for those old Gillette OC with cracked handles. It will probably look very nice plated. Nice Knurling.

$IMAGE_63.jpg$IMAGE_64.jpg$Center Punch.JPG

Attachments

• $IMAGE_65.jpg
    $IMAGE_65.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,936
Last edited:
How timely! I just bought a vintage Gillette OC with a cracked handle and I live near a Harbor Freight. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

Another tip.

When I tried different heads I noticed that on some the thread on the head does no go all the way to the heads base so the handle does not tighten completely. Using a countersink bit or a larger drill bit to ream the tip a bit removes some of the threads at the tip of the handle so when you tighten it back up it goes in further up on the head threads and tightens properly.

I have a New SC with a mis-matched handle that's too big to seat properly. This might be just the ticket I need for a better fitting handle.

This is such a cool idea for those of us that Love the New!

It'd be cool to see a side by side pic with your home made handle and one with one of the Gillette handles....I'm sure it is definitely longer and heavier.

Thanks for the pic, that looks Great.

I am stopping by a HB tomorrow on my way to work, so, I'll have more questions for you....:001_tongu

You were able to thread 10/32 into the existing hole, or you had to tap it before threading?

I picked on up yesterday about 5 minutes before HF closed. Now all I have to do is find someone with a tap since I don't have one hanging around in my toolbox. :ohmy:

Thanks for the pic, that looks Great.

I am stopping by a HB tomorrow on my way to work, so, I'll have more questions for you....:001_tongu

You were able to thread 10/32 into the existing hole, or you had to tap it before threading?

did not have to drill. Just the tap to create the thread.

I just did a handle today, great tip OP on removing some threads (I couldn't screw my New or an Old Type all the way down) I used an 11/64 & 3/16 to knock out 3 or 4 threads. Also sprayed it with some Plasti-Dip I had laying around.
Thanks again OP for sharing.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392162616.941305.jpg

Got it today.

FYI, the parts are reverse threaded...:laugh:

Not able to tap the threads today, maybe Thursday.

So, you knocked out a few threads?....I read that earlier......Countersink.

$ 3.45 after tax Ain't Bad!

Top Bottom