What's new

Cella - Block vs. Tub

I’ve seen many guys out there reference that Cella from the kilo block is better than the tub. Aside from the astounding value the block provides, can someone explain why it’s better than the tub? Is it simply because it’s more convenient to cut off a chunk and push it into your favorite bowl rather than load from the tiny sized jar? Or is the performance of the soap actually different and better? Thanks!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You are welcome. The funky embedded code is due to the post pre-dating B&B's last software upgrade (switch from vBulletin), but it's still easy enough to read .... and contains lots of insight.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Something new learned, I'd not realized there was a difference in performance.

I've used Cella in a rather loose rotation (only the Red Tub version) and while it performs well and easily in harder water, I've noticed it seems to go "off" in color and scent, relatively quickly when compared to other products. It still lathers up, but loses some scent and turns yellow/brown in color. And has happened twice with tubs from different vendors. This is the only croap or cream that I notice any deterioration with .. and it is treated the same as other soft products in tubs - they are closed immediately post shave.

My worry with the big brick would be it would spoil before I could use it up ..

Something new learned, I'd not realized there was a difference in performance.

I've used Cella in a rather loose rotation (only the Red Tub version) and while it performs well and easily in harder water, I've noticed it seems to go "off" in color and scent, relatively quickly when compared to other products. It still lathers up, but loses some scent and turns yellow/brown in color. And has happened twice with tubs from different vendors. This is the only croap or cream that I notice any deterioration with .. and it is treated the same as other soft products in tubs - they are closed immediately post shave.

My worry with the big brick would be it would spoil before I could use it up ..

I've had the same experience with Cella. Scent changed and color darkened. Oddly enough, the same thing eventually happened with the replacement I bought for it, Figaro red. The stuff was dirt cheap in a drugstore in Rome, and the scent was a sweet marzipan.

A gentleman over in the BST was selling four bricks this week for a great price. I can’t begin to understand how a guy comes across almost 9 pounds of shave soap unless it fell off a truck or something!

They a similar but not quite the same. The brick is cured a little differently, has a (slightly?) different ingredient ratio, and is a bit firmer. They are very similar in terms of performance with subtle differences. Of the two I prefer the brick.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
That is how I think of you, @Marco . By the way, I can't find any panforte around here; everyone seems to just carry only panetonne, which is still nice but it's not panforte.

Last edited:
I love both versions of cella. There is a difference between what comes in the tub vs what comes in the kilo block. In my experience the soap that comes in the tub is rather soft compared with the kilo. I started using the tub on December 1 2018 and by December 22 it was gone. But I do have a tendency of using a heavy hand when loading my brush

Marco, do you know Luca Dinaro personally? He seems like a real funny character.

I am not Marco and i don't make internet acquaintances, but i can tell you a couple of things about the italian youtube celebrities.

Luca Dinaro is one of the 2 biggest italian youtube shaving celebrities. And yes, he is funny and he is also a good internet teacher for wetshaving beginners.
The other celebrity, is Mauro di Lernia, who is also funny and has an impressive array of equipment. He is also known for being a proponent of the "plaster lather".
Both of them, do a kind of shaving show, rather than just a shaving review. I have watched a few of both, mainly when i was searching for reviews of products.

And as it was normal, both were approached by companies and so now both have their shaving products: Luca Dinaro has the "Captain" soap, by TFS and Mauro di Lernia the "MDL", by Extro Cosmesi. I haven't bought either of them.

3.png 4.png

1.png 2.png

Top Bottom