What's new

Cella Bio Baby!

Based on another member's review (thanks IMBW), I purchased the new "Bio" shaving cream from Cella. According to the label, its "Extra Extra Bio" which I take to mean organic, being that they use certified organic ingredients. The tube shaving cream arrived today and I used it for tonight's shave. I've never used the original Cella so I can't compare but I'll describe my experience with the new Bio version:

Lather and protection: Very creamy, dense lather and a thirsty cream- don't be afraid to use a little extra water. They seem to really have put thought into the ingredients. Its slick but not oily or greasy and very protective. My face felt smooth and nourished without having yet applied any balm.

Scent: I'm finicky about scents but really enjoy this one. Someone described this as having a "layered scent" which I understand now after having using it. At first, its light and fruity with an almost orange flower or bergamot scent- very pleasant. There website mentions "pink pepper." When you add warm water and dilute it a bit, it changes. The floral scent recedes and the predominant scent becomes more spicy/woodsy with maybe a sandalwood effect? I certainly wouldn't call it a "sandalwood scent" but I think there may be a hint of it there. The overall scent is very enjoyable; I keep smelling my wrist where some of the cream was. I can still notice it 30 minutes after shaving. Its not a strong scent, but a lasting scent.

I'm so impressed with this product that I just ordered the Cella Bio balm and splash. Hopefully the scents are close to the shaving cream.

I'm glad that Cella has decided to offer this vegan version. I don't use products with tallow in them and have avoided Cella for that reason. Now I have a new shaving cream to enjoy! I'll certainly repurchase this product and highly recommend it.

Happy Shaving!

Chris

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Based on another member's review (thanks IMBW), I purchased the new "Bio" shaving cream from Cella. According to the label, its "Extra Extra Bio" which I take to mean organic, being that they use certified organic ingredients. The tube shaving cream arrived today and I used it for tonight's shave. I've never used the original Cella so I can't compare but I'll describe my experience with the new Bio version:

Lather and protection: Very creamy, dense lather and a thirsty cream- don't be afraid to use a little extra water. They seem to really have put thought into the ingredients. Its slick but not oily or greasy and very protective. My face felt smooth and nourished without having yet applied any balm.

Scent: I'm finicky about scents but really enjoy this one. Someone described this as having a "layered scent" which I understand now after having using it. At first, its light and fruity with an almost orange flower or bergamot scent- very pleasant. There website mentions "pink pepper." When you add warm water and dilute it a bit, it changes. The floral scent recedes and the predominant scent becomes more spicy/woodsy with maybe a sandalwood effect? I certainly wouldn't call it a "sandalwood scent" but I think there may be a hint of it there. The overall scent is very enjoyable; I keep smelling my wrist where some of the cream was. I can still notice it 30 minutes after shaving. Its not a strong scent, but a lasting scent.

I'm so impressed with this product that I just ordered the Cella Bio balm and splash. Hopefully the scents are close to the shaving cream.

I'm glad that Cella has decided to offer this vegan version. I don't use products with tallow in them and have avoided Cella for that reason. Now I have a new shaving cream to enjoy! I'll certainly repurchase this product and highly recommend it.

Happy Shaving!

Chris
VERY good review my friend! I've wondered about the "Bio" and you answered a lot of my questions without my even asking.

Happy Shaving!

Chris

Spot on description !!

Great review! I received the tub version Friday, used it for the first time yesterday and was extremely impressed. Excellent slickness and cushion and the post shave was so good all I needed was a splash of Dickinsons WH to finish off the shave. I’m terrible at describing scents, but to me it reminded me somewhat of Fine Platinum, which I love. Very, very good product!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
....but to me it reminded me somewhat of Fine Platinum, which I love. Very, very good product!
Yep, I completely concur. My nose is not discerning, and my ability to describe (and understanding of fragrance-building) is pretty much nil, so I generally classify those "type" of scents as "cologne"....which I know is too crude and not helpful. I've tried several of those scent-types (Creed Aventus, Fine Platinum, and this scent that Cella has chosen for Bio), and I just don't care for them. I'm a big fan of the performance of this soap, and I'm glad so many people enjoy the scent (different strokes for different folks), but just be warned this is not the red-tub of Cella (scent-wise).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Agree with your positive assessment. :)

Tried the tub version for the first time on 6/5: "Cella Bio is absolutely wonderful soap! The positive comments that @Marco has written about Cella Bio are well deserved. Mounds of sumptuous, slick, yogurt consistency lather. Great face feel - during and post-shave. Cella Bio has definitely joined my regular soap rotation."

Great review! I received the tub version Friday, used it for the first time yesterday and was extremely impressed. Excellent slickness and cushion and the post shave was so good all I needed was a splash of Dickinsons WH to finish off the shave. I’m terrible at describing scents, but to me it reminded me somewhat of Fine Platinum, which I love. Very, very good product!

I have not tried the tube version, but the tub is fantastic. One of, if not the best creams/soaps (its a good old fashioned Italian 'croap') I've ever used. Amazing stuff really, for a fraction of the price its equally as wonderful as Aqua Di Parma, and the Cella is a better, more suble scent, and the slickness is not as 'oily' as the ADP.

And I too only need to finish the shave off with WH (Thayers) for a perfect result.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have the jar. Not sure how different the ingredients are between the jar and the tube. I agree with the “nourishing” remark. It’s almost like I don’t even need to use an aftershave after using Cella Extra Extra Bio. They really nailed it.

Might need to try the splash sometime.

My friends, two quick things for you:

1. The proper full name of this cream is Cella Extra Extra Bio.

2. Bio in Italian is the abbreviation for biologico, which means organic.

Enjoy this gem!

Great info, thanks Marco. Cella Extra Extra Organic - LOVE IT! :biggrin1:

After using this (and nothing else) for nearly two weeks now (that's about 10 shaves for me) - this stuff really does treat my skin perfectly. Even at 50 years old I'm susceptible to breakouts because of an infection I have in my pores on my head and face. My face is looking and feeling much more healthy now, and I couldn't be happier. If I never use another cream/soap I would be fine (there are other products that work for me - TOBS Organic cream and the Jermyn St soap, DRH creams are great because the scent is very mild, Haslinger soaps (tallow free) are all ok) - but this Cella is AMAZING. Unfortunately I can never try the original because of the tallow in it and the almond scent! :(

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Great info, thanks Marco. Cella Extra Extra Organic - LOVE IT! :biggrin1:

After using this (and nothing else) for nearly two weeks now (that's about 10 shaves for me) - this stuff really does treat my skin perfectly. Even at 50 years old I'm susceptible to breakouts because of an infection I have in my pores on my head and face. My face is looking and feeling much more healthy now, and I couldn't be happier. If I never use another cream/soap I would be fine (there are other products that work for me - TOBS Organic cream and the Jermyn St soap, DRH creams are great because the scent is very mild, Haslinger soaps (tallow free) are all ok) - but this Cella is AMAZING. Unfortunately I can never try the original because of the tallow in it and the almond scent! :(

:thumbup1:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Enjoy this gem!

Appreciate the clarification on the full and correct name. Cella Extra Extra Bio it is. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Enjoy this gem!

Appreciate the clarification on the full and correct name. Cella Extra Extra Bio it is. :)

Shaved with it today and experienced the same wonderful lather as the first time. :001_wub: :001_wub:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The management at the Nicky Chiny company, manufacturer of Cella, took a very wise decision: keep the much loved original Cella as it is, by maintaining the exact tallow formula it has always had since 1899, AND add a brand new vegetable, organic cream with similar performance.

With these two gems all tastes have been satisfied. :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, what is the meaning in Italian of saying "Extra Extra". Isn't one Extra sufficient?
:biggrin1:

The word Extra is repeated twice Extra Extra in order to say "extremely".

In English a similar thing would be like saying "the very best". Saying "the best" alone should be enough in most cases, but saying "the very best" means nothing else is comparable or up to that quality.

Top Bottom