What's new

Cartridge to R41 to Cut-Throat

Shave 262 and 2 on the Bengal.
Lathered with Palmolive shave stick and a boar brush.
Again on pass one wtg it felt unusual compared to the more hollow grinds which I’m used to, not as sharp feeling almost, not as musical.
Then on pass two xtg it feels sharper then on pass 3 atg it goes through everything feeling sharper and smoother again it’s pretty phenomenal on this pass. The feeling of sharpness and smoothness seems to build with each pass. Going through the hair atg on my neck like no other razor I’ve used. Still not sure it this is because of the grind or the honing method which the seller used. Either way I like it.
Had a lovely cold rinse then a nice splash of the Proraso Red aftershave. Great stuff.

Shave 265 and 5 on the Bengal.
I used Tobs Eton College cream and a boar brush.
Yesterday i was in a rush so I used my R41 and while brilliant, close and brutal it just can’t compare to my straights for smoothness and post shave feel. The straight is just so much more silky and super close and the post shave is out of this world. So today as usual after using my DE I was really looking forward to a straight razor shave.
As I was cutting wtg on pass one I felt the blade perhaps tugging slightly, and less so but still noticeable on pass 2 xtg. But pass 3 atg this slight pulling had disappeared completely and the weighty little near wedge, went through everything. I’m not sure if needs a touch up or not, or if it’s just the feel of the near wedge, I’ll see what tomorrow brings. Lovely cold rinse and a splash of Fine Snakebite which I haven’t used for a while. My shaves have been consistently brilliant lately, every single time no matter which straight I use though I’m loving this little Bengal, and today’s was no exception. The Bengal came with custom wooden scales but they’re a little loose and aren’t responding to my ball pein hammer. I’d like to change the scales I think but ive never done this before. Is it a big job? I’ve got no tools or workbench.

Shave 266 and 41 on the Friodur.
Lathered with a boar brush and Proraso Red soap.
After a week on the almost silent Bengal near wedge the big Friodur seemed to ring like a bell. It felt very sharp on pass one like I’m used to, the Bengal feels almost dull on pass one. The Friodur is big and weighty though well balanced whereas the Bengal is small and thick-set, no nonsense. Xtg the Friodur rang louder still, after 41 shaves this thing is sharp. It cuts really well on passes 3 and 4 atg where all the bbs work is done. The Bengal is at its best at this stage too it’s a little demon up close and very smooth with it. A splash of Proraso Red aftershave today finished the job.

Shave 267 and 6 on Gold Dollar A.
I was in a rush this morning so was left with 2 choices: use a DE or do my fastest ever straight razor shave.
I accepted the challenge of the straight but was admittedly a bit concerned that my attempt at a speedy shave with it could result in a few battle scars. My previous best for a full 4 pass shave was about 40mins, and I generally take 45-50. Today I had to do it in 20. I took a very fast shower then lathered up some TOBS Jermyn St cream. It was 8am. I started to work quickly down my cheeks using all of the Gold Dollars 13/16 blade to keep going and not to waste time rinsing too much.
I worked fast, completed the pass and looked down, 08.03. So far so good. A very quick re-lather then I was into pass 2. My technique held fast and coped well with the added speed. Pass complete 08.07. No mid shave strop today, straight into a re-lather and I was cutting upwards into the stubble. I was quick but careful, focussed. Pass done I looked down 8.12. I squeezed the lather from the brush for a touch up pass which I did quickly and smartly then rinsed. Done! 18 mins for the shave my quickest by miles. I brushed my teeth, dried off, splashed some Proraso Red on, cleaned the razor, palm strop, lined strop. 25mins in total and the shave is brilliant.
I was really surprised that I could knock so much time off my personal best as my shaves were routinely taking 45-50 mins. Still 2 ears, still a complete nose no holes in my face happy days.
This is the same speed I can get with my DE so I’m really happy and now I have this option when I’m in a rush.

Shave 268 and 6 on the Bengal.
Lathered with TOBS Sandalwood hard soap and a boar brush. Again in a bit of a rush so quick shower and put in the stopwatch to see where I was taking time. The blade didn’t feel all that sharp on pass one and as it’s small (5/8ths) it needs rinsing quite frequently, all of which adds to the time.
Pass one just on 5 mins. Pass 2 6mins pass 3, 7 mins pass 4, 5 mins. 22 mins in total plus about another 3 for re-lathering. So about 25 in total which is 7 mins longer than yesterday’s shave. I’m going to sharpen the Bengal on films tonight and see if it improves.

Shave 269 and first on the Bengal near wedge since honing on the Naniwa 12k,
This razor has felt a little dull during the last two shaves. It came honed up and shave ready but I wanted to re hone it and see what it was like with one of my edges. I’m pretty good now with the films, I can get a great edge every time, I’m not as good yet with this Naniwa. I’ve got some great edges from it and some just good edges so I need practice. With this in mind I honed the Bengal on the Naniwa last night. I started of with 25 laps then did a further 25, lightening and lightening the pressure as I went. Then I stropped 40 times on linen and 60 on leather. I used it this morning. I lathered with Sterling Margaritas In The Arctic and a boar brush. As soon as I started cutting I could tell it was sharper. It whistled down pass one doing a much better job than it had before. It still lacked the singing feedback of a full hollow grind but that’s to be expected. It felt great on pass two xtg cutting really close but on pass 3 and 4 I could really feel the difference. It even sounded different. Just much sharper and smoother and brilliant going against my coarse stubble. I finished up with a long cold rinse and a splash of Proraso Red. This Proraso Red is really nice soothing stuff, giving a very slight burn then a nice smooth finish. Most of the stuff I usually use burns the face off me but this is really nice and mild.

Shave 270 and 2 on the Bengal.
I lathered with a Speick shave stick and a boar. The lather exploded into life today and I got going. I was looking forward to today’s shave as yesterday’s had been so good and as soon as I started cutting I knew I was in for another great one. Since I honed it it makes a great shaving sound, raspy and smooth and it’s a great song to hear. The shave just felt really good, I stretched well, the edge was on fine form. I completed the shave and thought I’d brave the old Fine Snakebite. This stuff usually lights my face right up but today there was hardly any burn at all. Bbs absolutely everywhere and that great silky post shave feel that you only get by braving a straight. The rewards are big, you just have to walk through the fire.

Shave 271 and 10 on the ELSINE.
Lathered with Tabac soap and a boar brush.
The ELSINE as always felt very smooth on the first pass, it gives a very enjoyable shave. Pass two started well but I noticed it struggling slightly upwards on my neck compared to the newly honed Bengal I’d used yesterday. It was like this on pass 3 atg too, still sharp, but not quite as lethal as the Bengal. The shave felt smooth I got a great silky bbs though I did get a tiny cut on my chin. I can’t remember the last time I got a cut. Cold rinse and a splash of Fine Snakebite. The ELSINE still shaves great and I could go on using it but i feel it could benefit from a lick of the Naniwa 12k to knock it back to super sharp.

Shave 272 and 3 on the Suredge since I honed it on lapping films.
I have 5 Palmolive shave sticks in my cabinet which I bought in just before they were discontinued. I finished one a week or so ago so I opened a new one today.
This razor gave a beautiful shave today, it was smooth when I got it and since I re-honed it ive been able to keep it smooth. It’s nice and light with a sharp square point which is great for hitting tricky areas. It’s very hollow and makes a great little raspy ringing sound as it cuts. After the shave I had a cold rinse and a splash of Proraso Red. I’ve had a silky smooth face all day courtesy of a great little soap, a great little razor and a great little aftershave.

Shave 273 and 42 on the Friodur.
I used Proraso Red soap and a badger brush.
Haven’t used a badger for a while as they always seem a bit floppy for face lathering, even this short loft Simpsons which I used today. But where it is lovely is the amount of hot water it holds and then flushes onto the face when making the lather. But because it’s a little floppy it does leave a lot of lather on the face.
I unfolded the big 7/8ths Friodur and got cutting. It’s still silky smooth and I’d done my first 2 passes before I realised that I hadn’t even stropped it this morning. I gave it a quick 50 laps though in all honesty it was probably quite unnecessary and continued to pass 3 and 4.
I got a few little weepers on my chin but nothing too bad and once again the shave is bbs all over and my face silky smooth. I didn’t want to brave the Snakebite in the presence of the weepers so I used the Proraso Red aftershave which has a nice slightly oily quality as it goes on which then disappears leaving a great dry clean post shave feel.
The big Friodur is still going as strong as ever. I just checked my log and i last honed it May 18 which is nearly 5 months ago though I don’t use it every day, but it feels as good now as it did then. Reading my log it took a couple of tries to get it right but has held it’s edge surprisingly well since.
I strop it before each shave 50 times, then 20 mid shave before my atg passes, then 5 on the palm and 7 on linen afterwards.

Last edited:
Shave 274 and 3 on the Bengal.
I lathered with TOBS Eton College cream and a boar brush.
The bathroom was a bit hectic this morning with my 3 year old and her mother bumping into me and chattering away but I avoided any cuts and nicks. The Bengal was on fine form as it gripped then sliced the hair crisply and gave me a brilliant silky smooth bbs shave. I finished with the bright orange Floid Vigoroso which left my face cold and smooth.

Shave 275 and 3 on the Turner & Co after honing on films.
I lathered with TOBS Jermyn Street and s boar brush.
The blade didn’t feel all that sharp today. It felt ok but not smooth and sharp like I’m used to. I felt this slight dullness through every pass. That is until the shave was done. Absolutely silky bbs and here 12 hours later my face is still silky as anything. It’s strange sometimes this straight razor shaving, it throws little curveballs from time to time, little surprises. Id’ve sworn I was in for a dull shave but got one of my best.

Shave 275 and 3 on the Turner & Co after honing on films.
I lathered with TOBS Jermyn Street and s boar brush.
The blade didn’t feel all that sharp today. It felt ok but not smooth and sharp like I’m used to. I felt this slight dullness through every pass. That is until the shave was done. Absolutely silky bbs and here 12 hours later my face is still silky as anything. It’s strange sometimes this straight razor shaving, it throws little curveballs from time to time, little surprises. Id’ve sworn I was in for a dull shave but got one of my best.

That’s really the feeling you end up with using a lot of Coticules, and I especially get it using the one Thuringian I have. The blade feels like a butter knife on your face and you’d swear it’s tugging or just plain not cutting anywhere, but after 2 passes you’re full BBS and your face feels completely calm and unperturbed.

I think there are ways to get that edge feel, but the most consistent IME is to find the right Coticule. For some reason Cotis just aren’t popular right now, but they have big advantages if they cooperate well with your specific blade and beard.

The other thought I have is maybe that dull edge face feel triggers me to pull out the best technique to try and compensate for what I’m expecting to be a struggle. Maybe that ends up helping the end result as much as any honing trickery.

That’s really the feeling you end up with using a lot of Coticules, and I especially get it using the one Thuringian I have. The blade feels like a butter knife on your face and you’d swear it’s tugging or just plain not cutting anywhere, but after 2 passes you’re full BBS and your face feels completely calm and unperturbed.

I think there are ways to get that edge feel, but the most consistent IME is to find the right Coticule. For some reason Cotis just aren’t popular right now, but they have big advantages if they cooperate well with your specific blade and beard.

The other thought I have is maybe that dull edge face feel triggers me to pull out the best technique to try and compensate for what I’m expecting to be a struggle. Maybe that ends up helping the end result as much as any honing trickery.
yes I’ve had that feeling before from a coticule edge, and when you said that it reminded me of it. A friend sent me a Gold Dollar which he’d honed on a coticule for me to try and as you say it felt smooth but not all that sharp yet it was sharp and gave a few great shaves before it lost its edge.

Shave 276 and 4 on the Bengal near wedge.
I lathered with Sterling Margaritas in the Arctic and a boar brush.
I had quite a lot of stubble this morning as Id been pushed for time yesterday and did a quick 2 pass with the R41 which while close enough wasn’t bbs.
Again this morning on pass one the blade felt a bit tuggy but I stuck with it, it felt a lot better xtg on pass 2, and on pass 3 and 4 was brilliant and just went through everything, rasping along and leaving a great soft bbs. I finished with a cold rinse and a splash of Fine Snakebite which chilled my face nicely after the menthol based Sterling. I cleaned up and had a spray of Penhaligon’s English Fern cologne which smells fresh and clean and earned me a kiss on the cheek from my girl.

Shave 277 and 3 on the Gold Dollar (B) which has a Naniwa 12k edge. I lathered with Proraso Red soap and a boar brush. They may be cheap razors but I’ve always enjoyed using my 2 Gold Dollars. They’re a nice size, have a nice weight and are easy to sharpen and maintain. Mine came to me for free and both shave ready, so I can’t comment on using one straight from the factory, but these have been great and ive honed them both many times on films and welsh slate and the Naniwa and leaned a lot doing so. I’ve gone down a few wrong roads and dead ends with them but I’ve always been able to bring them back.
Today it was very smooth and gave me a great shave followed by a splash of Proraso Red, then a spray of GF Trumper Sandalwood.

Shave 278 and 4 on the Suredge with a film edge.
I lathered with Tabac soap and a boar brush.
This is a lovely light little razor and I smiled today as it glided down pass one feeling sharp and ruthless. I added a touch of water to the excellent Tabac lather in the brush and relathered for my xtg pass two. A big upwards skin stretch as the blade sang its ringing rasping song across and through the stubble, it was performing beautifully, I could tell the shave would be great.
I re-lathered, again stretching well as I cut upwards into the stubble. I was going quick and smooth, the square point just missed my ear, just missed my nose I was sailing very close to the wind and loving it. I then went for my touch up pass where I change my technique to hit all the areas which the 3 passes miss then had a great long cold rinse and a lovely splash of Proraso Red.
What a great next level shave.
I get a great top-drawer shave like this pretty much every day of my life since taking the time to learn to use and sharpen straight razors. My shaving journey started with a great DE razor in the Muhle R41 and has led me here, it’s a great place to be.

Shave 279 and 43 on the Friodur.
Lathered with Tabac soap and a boar brush.
Once again the big shiny Friodur was on top form, still no signs of slowing down though I did get a few weepers on my chin again. But the shave is so smooth and close, absolutely brilliant. Cold water and a nice splash of Proraso Red. Brilliant post shave feel.

Shave 280 and 11 on the ELSINE.
Lathered with Proraso Red and a boar.
I had plenty of time to myself this morning it being a Saturday so I took a deep breath in the steamy bathroom and starte d to build the lather on my face. The scent from the soap agitated by the brush filled my nose. I unfolded the old blade with the glinting mirrored edge, lined it up next to my ear and started to cut.The razor gripped and sliced effortlessly down with the grain, the big 7/8ths blade allowing a nice continuous motion over large areas before rinsing. The whole shave was great, very smooth and enjoyable I left the bathroom in a fine mood.

Shave 281 and 44 on the Friodur.
Today I had to be out fast so I woke at 7 and headed straight for the shower. As I got out I lathered with a Palmolive stick and a boar brush and got going.
I worked quickly and got the shower, 4 pass shave, teeth brushed and clean up done and out of the bathroom in 35 minutes which is quick for me and I got a great shave.

Top Bottom