Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I prefer cartridges but sometimes use a converter

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I only use cartridges

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I use whatever strikes the mood at fill time

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
I'm new to the game. I first use the cartridge that comes with the pen, then use a converter after it's empty. My Metro gets is fuel from a converter. My other 3 pens are still on their cartridge, but the Pilot Petit1 Mini is runnin' on fumes. I can see the cartridge is empty, just using up the ink in the feed system.

I never liked a cartridge ink I've tried, and prefer a waterproof/permanent ink. those don't come in carts. and my daily use pens don't take carts or converters. and I'm ok with that.

Thread resurrection!

I don't like the small capacity of my Pilot Metro bulb converter. I like the Noodler's Black that I have for work. So I have kept the cartridges as they emptied and plan to refill them with the blunt syringe method.

My question is: can I refill an empty cartridge in advance and keep it with me at work (upright in a small pill bottle) or do I refill as I need to?

thanks folks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thread resurrection!

I don't like the small capacity of my Pilot Metro bulb converter. I like the Noodler's Black that I have for work. So I have kept the cartridges as they emptied and plan to refill them with the blunt syringe method.

My question is: can I refill an empty cartridge in advance and keep it with me at work (upright in a small pill bottle) or do I refill as I need to?

thanks folks!
I would guess it’s ok to fill a few. Once you inject the ink in it shouldn’t leak out right? I’ve never tried this obviously. If I did I’m sure I’d make a mess.

If you want to store a refilled cartridge, you can seal it with a drop of candle wax. I just keep several empt carts, some ink bottles and a blunt syringe in my desk at work. I have gotten some odd look in the kitchen standing there with a syringe full of ink, but no-one has freaked out yet... :p

I would guess it’s ok to fill a few. Once you inject the ink in it shouldn’t leak out right? I’ve never tried this obviously. If I did I’m sure I’d make a mess.
I tried it a couple of days ago. I made a mess. I had a hard time getting the plunger to go down. And then it did…very quickly. Ink spurted back out of the cartridge. Took a few washings to get the ink blots off my hands. Fortunately, I had a paper towel on the counter top and nothing splashed onto my clothes. That was a fun day.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I tried it a couple of days ago. I made a mess. I had a hard time getting the plunger to go down. And then it did…very quickly. Ink spurted back out of the cartridge. Took a few washings to get the ink blots off my hands. Fortunately, I had a paper towel on the counter top and nothing splashed onto my clothes. That was a fun day.
This is exactly how it would have worked out if I tried it. Except I’d have ink residue on my hands for days. Glad your damage was limited.

Well the poll questions run the gamut. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I have many pens that take cartridges and I have converters for each. In my ink drawer I have many bottles of ink and a little baggie with the cartridges I have collected over the years - mostly supplied with a new pen. I simply prefer the variety of inks that I can use if bottle feeding and I’m not interested in refilling cartridges.

I can’t say I never used cartridges, but it has been at least 4 decades since I did. I remember in college always having a spare cartridge in my bag just in case. Occasionally it would get used in the middle of class. Since then, I have gotten more pens and haven’t had the need for the cartridges. When traveling, I also have a traveling inkpot.

Interested in your thoughts.
What traveling ink pot do you have?

Tom

I use a converter in my Lamy Al-Star, and would prefer to fill from a bottle if I'm at my desk at home In theory, however, it might not be a horrible idea to have some cartridges on hand "just in case". For instance, if travelling, I'd rather have a couple of cartridges than a bottle in my bag. Same goes for work.

I use a converter in my Lamy Al-Star, and would prefer to fill from a bottle if I'm at my desk at home In theory, however, it might not be a horrible idea to have some cartridges on hand "just in case". For instance, if travelling, I'd rather have a couple of cartridges than a bottle in my bag. Same goes for work.
I do like you do. If I am travelling especially by plane I will make sure my pen's converter is filled before I leave and then I take a cartridge or two with me incase I run out. Also if I feel extra paranoid, I will empty the converter before I get on the return flight.

For me the whole question is moot. No traveling fountain pens. Not a fountain pen, but had a Pilot Precise V5 explosively burp on a plane a few years ago and ruin my all time favorite shirt. Now only fly with Uniball Vision Elite pens that are marketed as airplane safe. Can’t imagine fooling around with fountain pens traveling given that I make a mess with them just sitting at my desk.

For me the whole question is moot. No traveling fountain pens. Not a fountain pen, but had a Pilot Precise V5 explosively burp on a plane a few years ago and ruin my all time favorite shirt. Now only fly with Uniball Vision Elite pens that are marketed as airplane safe. Can’t imagine fooling around with fountain pens traveling given that I make a mess with them just sitting at my desk.
Talking about ink mess on a plane. I had a gel pen. I think it was a Pilot G2 do the same and ink got all over my passport. At least it was not on any important parts. Yeah I am very careful on a plane. I do not use my fountain pen on a plane etc.

I've flown many times with a fountain pen. The trick is picking a pen that can handle the changes in cabin pressure, and not burp. Cheaper pens will inevitably fail, as will those with sacs. My go to is a Lamy 2000. Piston filler with an enclosed feed (sort of like the venerable P51), and excellent air tightness in the seal. It has worked flawlessly every time I have flown with it, from short 30 min island hops to international travel. Combined with a permanent ink, it is a terrific traveller.

I mostly write with vintage Parkers that were made before the era of cartridge/converter, so probably 90% of the time I'm filling from a bottle. I have some cartridge/converter pens that I write with, and for most of those I use a converter as well to fill from bottle. I have 5-6 pens (Parker 75s and 45s) that I use with cartridges because I'll use those to fly with, as the cartridges handle the pressurization much better.

I'm not stuck with one or the other. I will use the converter or the cartridge, whichever strikes me. However, the pen that gives me the giggles only has a plunger filler and takes no converter or cartridge.

Top Bottom