What's new

Bringing the Lamy All-Star Out of Retirement

I was a member here several years ago (I believe my name then was Donnchadh_Sempill), but life got in the way of the "B&B lifestyle". I stopped smoking pipe and went back to cigarettes. It's been a long time since I've cooked in earnest...and yes, went back to shaving with a cartridge.

But recently, I've decided to give it all another go. I'm back to smoking pipe (wrapping up Week 2 without cigarettes), and my next shave, when I get around to it, will be with the DE. I've also dug out my old fountain pen, a Lamy All-Star and the old bottle of ink I bought along with it.

This poor pen has been sitting around for a few years (maybe up to five), and it still had ink in the converter.

I expected it to be horrible to clean out, but I was pleasantly surprised. Several minutes of flushing with hot water seems to have done the trick. I filled it with ink (after a good shake), and filled a sheet of paper with scribbles. It seemed to write as well as it ever did. It's sitting on my desk inked up, waiting for me to give it a good go.

Here's my question: should I expect any issues out of this pen as a result of it laying around so long? Visually, it seems to be in good shape.

Thanks, guys!

Welcome back to B&B is in order! As with your pen. Like mentioned as long as you cleaned it out well it should be just fine. What kind of ink was in there?

Thanks for the welcome back! I hope to keep fairly active here.

I honestly do not remember what the ink is. I'll post a picture when I go back up to my desk this evening.

I spent some more time scribbling with it last night, and it all seems good. The ink seems to bleed through a little more than I remember. May need a better shake before my next fill.

That totally depends on the ink. Permanent or glitter inks, or even some of the monster sheeners would require more sophisticated approaches, but most plain inks should be water soluble, and so flush out without any drama.
I think it was just plain ink. I'll have to check the bottom later this evening when I get back to my desk.

Thanks for the welcome back! I hope to keep fairly active here.

I honestly do not remember what the ink is. I'll post a picture when I go back up to my desk this evening.

I spent some more time scribbling with it last night, and it all seems good. The ink seems to bleed through a little more than I remember. May need a better shake before my next fill.
Sounds like it is doing just fine and it sounds like the feed is at least providing sufficient ink to the nib. 👍

Sorry it took a bit to figure out the ink. There's no writing save a design on the cap and Japan on the bottom. Had to search Amazon for it. It's Pilot Namiki Standard Black.
Screenshot_20230923-023734.png

Sorry it took a bit to figure out the ink. There's no writing save a design on the cap and Japan on the bottom. Had to search Amazon for it. It's Pilot Namiki Standard Black.View attachment 1721961
If that is the ink you had in the pen I understand that your did not have any issues. It is an ink that is mild and safe. Also I understand why you had some bleeding. Pilot inks seems to do that and coupled that with a wetter pen like a lamy. Makes sense.

I like it a lot, when I have the chance to write with it. In the past, I've used some no-name FPs from gift sets...nothing high-end...so not much to compare it to. Also, I haven't had much luck getting myself into a habit of journaling, so it's not like I have a lot of hours behind it.

I can say that I like the looks of it. It's very comfortable in the hand and it has enough weight that you know you're holding something. It seems like it would be quite durable as a "work pen" and it didn't break the bank.

I like it a lot, when I have the chance to write with it. In the past, I've used some no-name FPs from gift sets...nothing high-end...so not much to compare it to. Also, I haven't had much luck getting myself into a habit of journaling, so it's not like I have a lot of hours behind it.

I can say that I like the looks of it. It's very comfortable in the hand and it has enough weight that you know you're holding something. It seems like it would be quite durable as a "work pen" and it didn't break the bank.
I looked at a Lamy AL-Star and it is only my to buy list after looking at it. I ended up buying a TWSBI Go, but only because it met my purpose for the pen better. Lamy makes a great pen.

Top Bottom