Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I prefer cartridges but sometimes use a converter

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I only use cartridges

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I use whatever strikes the mood at fill time

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
I like the variety of inks you can get with a converter, even if I don't own a ton of them, of course I still have time to clooect, not that I am exactly young, but based on comments on this thread some of you have used fountain pens longer than I have been alive
Actually the number of colors that is available in converters are much more limited than in bottles. Unfortunately that means you end up with a bunch of bottles. Yes ink AD is very real and it is a super deep pit.

I refill cartridges and use converters depending on what I have for a given pen. But my inks in all are black, from one of the bottles I have.

Actually the number of colors that is available in converters are much more limited than in bottles. Unfortunately that means you end up with a bunch of bottles. Yes ink AD is very real and it is a super deep pit.
The converter uses the bottle ink, and I have a decent collection already, but I am sure more will be coming, though shaving stuff is probably my focus for the next little bit and not ink

There are over 700 inks for use in converters, plunger fills, eye dropper fillers, and etc. I don't really know how many but I saw a shop on YT that had over that many. That is a lot of choices.

The converter uses the bottle ink, and I have a decent collection already, but I am sure more will be coming, though shaving stuff is probably my focus for the next little bit and not ink
See this is what it is like to get old. I read cartridge and not converter in your original post. Sorry for that. Just had a senior moment.

There are over 700 inks for use in converters, plunger fills, eye dropper fillers, and etc. I don't really know how many but I saw a shop on YT that had over that many. That is a lot of choices.
I think the lady that runs the mountain of ink website has tested well over 2000 different fountain pen inks. Great site to check out an ink before buying BTW. Yes it is a bit overwhelming the number of inks.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
That is not correct. Cartridges are limited in color choices. You fill the converter with any ink from a bottle. That's what I did for years for such pens that take either, but most of my pens are Pelikan piston fillers.

New, unused cartridges are quite limited in the number of colors of ink. You can rinse a cartridge and then using a blunt tipped needle and a syringe you can refill and reuse a cartridge with any of the bottled inks. It works quite well.

In cartridges I have red, blue, black, blue-black, green, and brown. They are all Pilot cartridges and that is all they offer. I only have two colors of bottled ink, but three in my cart.

That is not correct. Cartridges are limited in color choices. You fill the converter with any ink from a bottle. That's what I did for years for such pens that take either, but most of my pens are Pelikan piston fillers.
Rudy, I hate that you stopped making pens. A pen made by you would have been a work of art.

Last edited:
Top Bottom