What's new

Captain's Choice North - A Review

I have used the Captain's Bay Rum soap and the creams. It's a matter of preference for soaps versus creams. The Bay Rum soap is a softer soap with an amazing Bay Rum scent. Performance is top notch. So is the cream. Personally, my preference is creams, but my soap collection is steadily grows as I discover great soaps.
To name a few favorite soaps (for mostly Spring/Summer):
Maggards Orange Menthol & Lilac
ML's Paradise Frost & The Kraken
L&L Southern Paradise
PAA's Honeysuckle
RazoRock XX
Waiting in the wings for Fall/Winter is Mamma Bear's Falling Leaves and B&M's Taiga (Balsam/Cedar/Pine)
I just bought (from B_S_T) QED Wild Rose. Used it today and the soap/scent is amazing, but cannot be had anymore.
Mikey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have used the Captain's Bay Rum soap and the creams. It's a matter of preference for soaps versus creams. The Bay Rum soap is a softer soap with an amazing Bay Rum scent. Performance is top notch. So is the cream. Personally, my preference is creams, but my soap collection is steadily grows as I discover great soaps.

Thanks for the reply.

Of the Bay Rum soap and cream, do you find the performance the same or are there any differences between the two? Having only used so few soaps and creams I'm trying to understand the differences and why someone might prefer one over the other.

You say you prefer creams, I'm curious why?

Thanks for the reply.

Of the Bay Rum soap and cream, do you find the performance the same or are there any differences between the two? Having only used so few soaps and creams I'm trying to understand the differences and why someone might prefer one over the other.

You say you prefer creams, I'm curious why?
I think, for me, they lather more easily and to me seem to have more slickness (the better creams). Maybe I need to gain more experience in using soaps (load time, water, and lathering time.) I saw a video on how to lather The Kraken and Stirling soaps. I learned that I was way to short, time wise, in loading and bowl lathering to get a really explosive lather. That's why I prefer softer soaps, and I like everyone I use. Easier for me to get a great lather. In the fall I'm trying Mamma bear's Fall Leaves, a hard glycerin soap. I'll see how that goes (load and lather a looong time. LOL.

I use T&H, CF, C&E, AoS, CC, SC, and Maca Root as my favorite creams. Of my soaps, I prefer the softer, Tallow based soaps and I do very well with those. See my earlier post for my favorite soaps. Oh, and add QED Wild Rose to that list. Bought it on the B-S-T forum last week. It's a little harder soap but as far as a Rose scent & performance it's unbeatable. Don't mind working to get a good lather with this one. Unfortunately it's now extinct. So my other Rose is T&H Rose cream. Bottom line, I have nothing against good, softer soaps and I use quite a few. YMMV.
Mikey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think, for me, they lather more easily and to me seem to have more slickness (the better creams). Maybe I need to gain more experience in using soaps (load time, water, and lathering time.) I saw a video on how to lather The Kraken and Stirling soaps. I learned that I was way to short, time wise, in loading and bowl lathering to get a really explosive lather. That's why I prefer softer soaps, and I like everyone I use. Easier for me to get a great lather. In the fall I'm trying Mamma bear's Fall Leaves, a hard glycerin soap. I'll see how that goes (load and lather a looong time. LOL.

I use T&H, CF, C&E, AoS, CC, SC, and Maca Root as my favorite creams. Of my soaps, I prefer the softer, Tallow based soaps and I do very well with those. See my earlier post for my favorite soaps. Oh, and add QED Wild Rose to that list. Bought it on the B-S-T forum last week. It's a little harder soap but as far as a Rose scent & performance it's unbeatable. Don't mind working to get a good lather with this one. Unfortunately it's now extinct. So my other Rose is T&H Rose cream. Bottom line, I have nothing against good, softer soaps and I use quite a few. YMMV.
Mikey

Thanks for the clarity.

Your experience seems to mirror mine. I found this Captain's Choice cream extremely easy to lather and it took very little water. I also found it much slicker than anything else I have used.

With that in mind for my last shave with a Stirling soap, I loaded a little more than I normally would and kept the lather at the same consistency as I normally do, and was rewarded with a lather very nearly of the same slickness as the Captain's Choice. I now have 12 different Stirling samples and other than the single Glacial I have, I expect the performance to be universal.

I am much more curious about shave creams now, but was unsure why someone may prefer a cream over a soap. Ease of use is as good a reason as any! lol.

I would enjoy a nice Rose scent sometimes, but I dont have one. I've read that many Rose scents arent accurate and outside of Trumpers, I'm not sure I've read of an accurate Rose scent.

Thanks for the clarity.

Your experience seems to mirror mine. I found this Captain's Choice cream extremely easy to lather and it took very little water. I also found it much slicker than anything else I have used.

With that in mind for my last shave with a Stirling soap, I loaded a little more than I normally would and kept the lather at the same consistency as I normally do, and was rewarded with a lather very nearly of the same slickness as the Captain's Choice. I now have 12 different Stirling samples and other than the single Glacial I have, I expect the performance to be universal.

I am much more curious about shave creams now, but was unsure why someone may prefer a cream over a soap. Ease of use is as good a reason as any! lol.

I would enjoy a nice Rose scent sometimes, but I dont have one. I've read that many Rose scents arent accurate and outside of Trumpers, I'm not sure I've read of an accurate Rose scent.
I have a tube of T&H Rose cream. Very good, but being discontinued (only available in tubes.). I have researched and
Maybe grab a tube of the T&H, while they last. It's a really nice Rose cream. Not cheap, though.
read a lot on this forum and have narrowed it down to two cream I will consider:
TOBS Rose Cream (get most of the ++'s, I think.
Vulfix Luxury English Rose Cream. Came across this one in a tread and it looks really good, but got mixed reviews.

I'm a little concerned that some B&B members mentioned that both Trumper and DR Harris can stain you brush. I have no experience with either, so I can't say for sure, but I'm not going to chance it, unless I use only the same brush for those creams.
I'm set as I just bought a tub of QED Wild Roses soap on the B-S-T and got really lucky as this soap is noe extinct. It's a single scent of pure Rose extract oil and it's amazing, performance and scent. Smells like you are in a Rose garden.
Good luck with your quest!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have a tube of T&H Rose cream. Very good, but being discontinued (only available in tubes.). I have researched and
Maybe grab a tube of the T&H, while they last. It's a really nice Rose cream. Not cheap, though.
read a lot on this forum and have narrowed it down to two cream I will consider:
TOBS Rose Cream (get most of the ++'s, I think.
Vulfix Luxury English Rose Cream. Came across this one in a tread and it looks really good, but got mixed reviews.

I'm a little concerned that some B&B members mentioned that both Trumper and DR Harris can stain you brush. I have no experience with either, so I can't say for sure, but I'm not going to chance it, unless I use only the same brush for those creams.
I'm set as I just bought a tub of QED Wild Roses soap on the B-S-T and got really lucky as this soap is noe extinct. It's a single scent of pure Rose extract oil and it's amazing, performance and scent. Smells like you are in a Rose garden.
Good luck with your quest!

Thanks for the insight.

I hadnt read of any soaps or creams staining bristles. I'll have to look into that.

Top Bottom