What's new

Can't get irritation free shave with Gillette Tech.

1. Better prep.
2. Assure that your lather is optimal.
3. Try to maintain an optimal razor angle.
4. NO pressure.
I completely agree! It took me over a year to discover it was the pressure that was causing face irritation and nicks and weepers. It took me even longer to realize a couple of hot water washes before shaving makes a big difference. I have only very recently tried a steeper angle, but with a fresh blade a shallow angle will work and is the safest. I prefer lather on the wetter side, if the lather sticks to the blade with a quick rinse (and without loosening the razor head) the efficiency of the shave suffers.

It is getting better. I am still struggling with the length of the handle, but the irritation is much less than before. It isn't gone though. And I have to pay more attention to detail than I do with other razors.
I am toying with the idea of trading it for a MJ90.
I do like the de89 style head and the handle on that looks perfect. I have used the de89 several times with success.

My 2 favorite razors are a Henson AL13 and a pre-war Gillette Tech. I'm not a fan of the post-war as I struggle to find the angle for BBS. However, the pre-war Gillette Tech does require the right angle (but it's got a bigger window than the post-war) and no pressure. Good luck as you continue to learn your technique with the Tech.

My 2 favorite razors are a Henson AL13 and a pre-war Gillette Tech. I'm not a fan of the post-war as I struggle to find the angle for BBS. However, the pre-war Gillette Tech does require the right angle (but it's got a bigger window than the post-war) and no pressure. Good luck as you continue to learn your technique with the Tech.
That is interesting. I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between the two. Pre and post.

That is interesting. I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between the two. Pre and post.
I wouldn’t have thought so either but after buying the post-war I just didn’t enjoy it as much because I couldn’t find the angle and just wasn’t drawn to it as much. It’s a fine razor. I love the fat handle. Just not for me.

I’ll probably BST it.

I would like a second razor, and I want it to be SS or a vintage or something kinda cool. Can I defend my position with logic? Probably not.
Keep an eye out for vintage Gillette: Old Type, Goodwill, New Long or Short Comb, '40's Super Speed, Slim Adjustable or even a Super Adjustable.
I just finishing refurbishing a #160 Goodwill, and am working on a New Short Comb - both are new favorites for closeness and ease of use.
There's a $12 Gillette 1940's Milord over on Etsy.com that would shave nicely, and with an optional Backroads Gold replate would be a showpiece on your countertop. It's essentially a gold Super Speed by design.

Any special things to watch for in a pre war tech? What year do you recommend?

Any special things to watch for in a pre war tech? What year do you recommend?
Gillette Techs didn't get date codes until around 1950. You have to go by the shape of the slots, either triangle-shaped for pre-war or oblong for post-war (sometimes called NDC for No Date Code).

I think the most important thing is condition. You can find Techs with intact plating and almost new appearance if you are careful. Techs were very inexpensive and made in huge quantity. A lot of them were not taken care of, and they show plating loss.

I would suggest an all-brass Tech with nickel plating to start with. Fat handles and ball-end handles each have their fans. The bakelite handles are a nice change of pace (very lightweight).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got red bumps from the soaps I was using.. not the razor. Of course, we are all different. I went to either unscented soaps/creams or very lightly scented ones... My dermatologist agreed with this strategy. She also prescribed Metro Gel... I'm red bump free now.

I got red bumps from the soaps I was using.. not the razor. Of course, we are all different. I went to either unscented soaps/creams or very lightly scented ones... My dermatologist agreed with this strategy. She also prescribed Metro Gel... I'm red bump free now.
I am trying to find a soap that doesn't give me bumps. What do you use?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am trying to find a soap that doesn't give me bumps. What do you use?
Canada shaving soap... I got mine from Amazon prime.. free shipping. I'll take a look to see if they have it back in stock.. hang on... Boo hiss.. still out of stock.

I use these three with no issues as well: Baume.be cream, Acca Kappa Barbershop soap, Phoenix Scentsless soap. All either lightly scented or zero scent.

If I had to choose just one of these 4, I'd definitely choose the Canada Shaving Soap. You have to scrape some into a bowl.... or lather from their very full container. It's a very hard soap, but they fill that container beyond the top. It's an amazing product but pretty expensive depending on your location due to shipping costs.

Canada shaving soap... I got mine from Amazon prime.. free shipping. I'll take a look to see if they have it back in stock.. hang on... Boo hiss.. still out of stock.

I use these three with no issues as well: Baume.be cream, Acca Kappa Barbershop soap, Phoenix Scentsless soap. All either lightly scented or zero scent.

If I had to choose just one of these 4, I'd definitely choose the Canada Shaving Soap. You have to scrape some into a bowl.... or lather from their very full container. It's a very hard soap, but they fill that container beyond the top. It's an amazing product but pretty expensive depending on your location due to shipping costs.
Thanks for the info. I'll will be looking for it to be in stock.

my question is why havent you used a gillette blade with it like a gillette blue. to me those are the most comfortable blades around. im kind of a sticler for using gillette blades with a gillette safety razor my brain tells me the shave is better that way

@ElwoodP I would try a Henson razor and call it a day. If you have sensitive skin using a soap or cream requiring a brush is not the best idea in the world, nor is using anything with alcohol after. The two best brushless cream I have used are Jack Black Beard Lube and Kiehl’s Ultimate Brushless. Both companies make outstanding products.

Top Bottom