What's new

Can't get irritation free shave with Gillette Tech.

Before you give up on a Tech, try using a tube cream with it. (I say this because for me, getting shave later from a soap that's slick and protective enough is quite a challenge.)

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but why don't you go back to the setup that works for you for a while (or forever)?

You've paid for the Tech and you're going to use it no matter what it does to your face?

Personally, I'd put it away for a few months and then try again when you're more sure of your technique.

Short of that, you need to change at least one thing you're doing now, because it isn't working. I'd use the Persona blade as that seems like the least likely culprit (although it could be). I'd use less pressure and try a different shaving angle, maybe steeper on one side and more shallow on the other. Less pressure is always a good idea unless you start to drop the razor in the sink.

If you do what you did you'll get what you got.

Good luck.
I would like a second razor, and I want it to be SS or a vintage or something kinda cool. Can I defend my position with logic? Probably not.

The Baili 131 is a closer clone to the Gillette Tech (a 1965 or 1966 Tech, if memory serves). The BD191 takes some aspects of the Tech but, as far as I know, doesn't have a direct counterpart. This thread may be of some help: Thread 'The Tech Clone Wars' The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/

Which Gillette Tech do you own? My preferred Techs are from the 1940s and 1950s.

The blades I prefer in my Techs are Feather and Kai.

Use a steep angle, as King C. Gillette taught us.

Pinaud soap is okay - I use it as my travel soap. How are you building your lather? Do you face lather or bowl lather?
I face lather. Though I may be doing it wrong.

Before you give up on a Tech, try using a tube cream with it. (I say this because for me, getting shave later from a soap that's slick and protective enough is quite a challenge.)
Like Palmolive? What do you recommend?

The Baili 131 is a closer clone to the Gillette Tech (a 1965 or 1966 Tech, if memory serves). The BD191 takes some aspects of the Tech but, as far as I know, doesn't have a direct counterpart. This thread may be of some help: Thread 'The Tech Clone Wars' The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/

Which Gillette Tech do you own? My preferred Techs are from the 1940s and 1950s.

Pinaud soap is okay - I use it as my travel soap. How are you building your lather? Do you face lather or bowl lather

Pinaud soap is okay - I use it as my travel soap. How are you building your lather? Do you face lather or bowl lather?
I just purchased a 1956 Tech. I lather on the face. I don't have a lot of equipment and I don't have a lot of money to spend. That limits me at this point.

Are Persona Platinum the same as Persona blue?
I have the platinum with the blue label. I was calling them Persona blue because of the color label.

I have used the following blades:
Persona blue
Shark chrome
Derby premium
I use Pinaud Clubman or Creamo
Synthetic brush or badger

I am new to wet shaving, 6 weeks or so.
I had achieved a perfect irritation free shave with Baili bd191 (a tech clone) and Persona blades.
The tech isn't as comfortable but I think I'm not accustomed to feeling the blade. My face has red dots and feels irritated after shaving.

Any suggestions?
I have a Tech as well and I have used it like 3 times. I found it uncomfortable on my face and in my hand. The last time I tried using a steep angle and a larger handle and it was the best shave of the three but it wasn't a great shave. Many people say it is mild and awesome but in my case I found neither to be true.

I am new to wet shaving, 6 weeks or so.
I had achieved a perfect irritation free shave with Baili bd191 (a tech clone) and Persona blades.
The tech isn't as comfortable but I think I'm not accustomed to feeling the blade. My face has red dots and feels irritated after shaving.

Any suggestions?
(As others have suggested) I think you're shaving too shallow (i.e. riding the cap).

Check out THIS POST, in particular the paragraph immediately following the photo. I hope that helps.

I'm shocked! I don't think I could hurt myself with a Tech if I tried. Use a steeper angle. Don't use a lot of pressure. If you use too much pressure and shallow angle, you could get the skin bunching up in front of the blade.

I found sharper blades work best. For example, Perma-Sharp Super, 7 O'clock Yellow, Feather, etc. Gillette Silver Blue and Personna Med Prep are OK, too.

I have been riding the top cap and blade with very little safety bar. I thought this was the way.
I shaved tonight off the bar. It was tricky to maintain but it felt very nice. I used a Wilkinson Sword. I still have the red dots from last night, but I didn't get any new ones tonight. I hope it becomes a little more automatic to keep the angle. But it made all the difference. Such a small change with such results. The videos on YouTube teach you to shave off the cap.
That worked ok for the Baili, but now I'm going to try shaving of the bar with it also.
Thank you guys for all the advice. I think the tech at least has a fighting chance now.

All are excellent suggestions.

Since the only new variant causing your problems is the razor, make sure the safety bar is not bent (when dropped), the gap should be the same on 4 corners.

Get another different TTO razor they are so cheap.

Or try a 3 piece cheap razor (one of those TLC (double open comb) from Razorback or Yaqi).....

And change to all those great suggestions given above , before spending more on razors.....

Gillette blades are gooood

BTW even two or three same brand (vintage) razors will often shave different..... (60 yrs of abuse)....

Last edited:
I have been riding the top cap and blade with very little safety bar. I thought this was the way.
...The videos on YouTube teach you to shave off the cap.
That worked ok for the Baili, but now I'm going to try shaving of the bar with it also...

Riding the cap is common advice, but it's not always the best idea.

See, the problem is that the Tech has a narrow effective angle. If you ride the cap, you reduce the blade exposure. That means the blade won't cut anything unless you start applying pressure.

With the Tech, it's better to go the other way. You are better off to start with the bar on the face, then tilt the handle up until you feel the blade. That point is one extreme of the effective angle. Somewhere between that point and the neutral angle where the guard and cap are both contacting the face evenly is the sweet spot. You don't need a lot of pressure in this range of angles and that should help reduce irritation a great deal.

I am thinking of getting a blade sampler pack.
What blades should I look for?
I'm not convinced that sharper is always better for me. Not at this point in my learning anyway. But I would like to know which blades are the sharp ones, which are the smooth ones, and which offer a mixture. What is it that makes a blade smooth? The coating or is it just not being sharp that allows it to be smooth? These are the type of questions I have this morning.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am thinking of getting a blade sampler pack.
What blades should I look for?
I'm not convinced that sharper is always better for me. Not at this point in my learning anyway. But I would like to know which blades are the sharp ones, which are the smooth ones, and which offer a mixture. What is it that makes a blade smooth? The coating or is it just not being sharp that allows it to be smooth? These are the type of questions I have this morning.
Hi @ElwoodP

It sounds like you are starting to get your tech angles figured out, even though they are considered mild razors, steep is definitely the way to go. Use the guard like the instructions say!
Tech4Ways.jpg

For blades in a tech, I like to go with sharp, like a Feather or Nacet. I do find Gillette Platinum blades are smoother for me, and use them in most of my razors. Best to get a sampler pack, as everyone's skin and whiskers are different, what blades work for me might not work for you.
Lots of gents love Astra SP blades, I hate them. Same with BIC and Derby.
At last count there are over 180 different blades to choose from, and about a thousand soaps.
I always recommend Cremo for new shavers.
The red dots you are getting is something new wet shavers almost always get around the 6-8 week point as your face is adjusting to your new style of shaving. They will go away.

As always, try to use as little pressure as you need to get the whiskers removed, and listen to the razor cutting.

~doug~

So I am the recipient of a 1940s (I believe) era gold Gillette Tech, thanks to a generous PIF from @Chef455. I have only used it once (this morning), but I have some irritation on a couple of trouble spots on my neck. The Tech seems to need a more shallow angle than some of my other razors. (I like steep, I guess.) I would need some practice to get proficient in using the Tech. Cool vintage tool, though!

Why do you think you need to ‘feel the blade’?

If you are better suited to so called mild razors then there are excellent options - Henson is a name now (just get the mild and stop worrying) or you could splash out on the excellent Tatara Masamune - google ‘sharpologist best mild razors’ and you’ll get those two and an $8 or less Dorco platic DE razor to persuade you… and get a stick of Arko for a couple of bucks or so and a half decent brush… and Osma Alum block… and you’ll be fine.

I found your post a bit odd, since I find my Techs to provide some of the most comfortable + satisfying shaves of any razors I own, and have since early on in my wet shaving* journey. Then again, shaving is perhaps the perfect example of a skill where taste is hugely important.

-Z

* I've always found way in which we use the term "wet shaving" to be odd. Unless it's an electric razor, and not even all of those, isn't all shaving wet shaving? Believe me, I've tried dry shaving w/a cartridge razor even for quick touch-ups, and it's not a pretty sight!

Top Bottom