What's new

Can't get irritation free shave with Gillette Tech.

I have used the following blades:
Persona blue
Shark chrome
Derby premium
I use Pinaud Clubman or Creamo
Synthetic brush or badger

I am new to wet shaving, 6 weeks or so.
I had achieved a perfect irritation free shave with Baili bd191 (a tech clone) and Persona blades.
The tech isn't as comfortable but I think I'm not accustomed to feeling the blade. My face has red dots and feels irritated after shaving.

Any suggestions?

Persona blue
Shark chrome
Derby premium

I had achieved a perfect irritation free shave with Baili bd191 (a tech clone) and Persona blades.
The tech isn't as comfortable but I think I'm not accustomed to feeling the blade. My face has red dots and feels irritated after shaving.

Any suggestions?
ElwoodP,

I’m new here also, but have learned much from the wisdom of the members here. Assuming nothing else has changed but the razor, my first question would be: “How many passes with the new Gillette Tech to finish your shave vs. the Baili? Most of my skin irritation is a result of too many passes.

Curly

ElwoodP,

I’m new here also, but have learned much from the wisdom of the members here. Assuming nothing else has changed but the razor, my first question would be: “How many passes with the new Gillette Tech to finish your shave vs. the Baili? Most of my skin irritation is a result of too many passes.

Curly
I get irritation on the first pass with the Gillette. With the Baili, I was doing two and three pass shaves for a couple of weeks. However, at first I got irritation with the Baili, but it was my first razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Gillette Golden Tech and I find it has a small window for proper angle, it is not my favorite razor for sure. I have lots of experience with different razors and brands and to put it simple the Tech is a challenging razor. There are different razors out there that work easier than the tech and give just a good a shave. You could try riding the bar(steep angle) that some folks use when shaving with this razor and its more enjoyable they claim. 4th point of the ad is indicating steep approach shaving to take advantage of the serrated safety bar.
1655432743419.jpeg

Razor angle 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have a Gillette Golden Tech and I find it has a small window for proper angle, it is not my favorite razor for sure. I have lots of experience with different razors and brands and to put it simple the Tech is a challenging razor. There are different razors out there that work easier than the tech and give just a good a shave. You could try riding the bar(steep angle) that some folks use when shaving with this razor and its more enjoyable they claim. 4th point of the ad is indicating steep approach shaving to take advantage of the serrated safety bar.
View attachment 1473522

View attachment 1473524

Have some great shaves!
Thank you for illustrating the angle. I have been mildly confused about which was which.

View attachment 1473522

View attachment 1473524

Have some great shaves!
Is the Mamba easier?

Is the Mamba easier?
The Mamba has been my daily razor (well, the 3 times a week I shave) since I purchased it in 2018.

Best razor out there. 1-2 pass max for me. Zero irritation, not aggressive at all. I can whip it around without any issues or worries.

Here is an old post of mine from another Mamba thread. When I shave daily, I do 1 pass. But I've been shaving every other day lately and do a 2 pass max with it.

@Timeclo

It took me years to come to this technique. I was a 4 pass shaver, then 3 and finally settled on a 2 pass (WTG/ATG) for a few years and really enjoyed it.

Once I decided to stop chasing a BBS, my shaves got soooo much more enjoyable and actually better quality, not to mention quicker.

When I finally went to a 1 pass shave I was amazed at how quick and easy a shave can be. 100% acceptable shave, no one would even notice it wasn't BBS, unless they rubbed my face ATG, which I don't let people do as a general rule. And not chasing a BBS daily and giving your face rest time on the weekend, holidays, vacation, I find benefitial. This has been my method for a few years now.

More time for other stuff now too. I'm one of the few on here who don't enjoy shaving, consider it a chore and would gladly do just about anything else than take time to shave.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@ElwoodP, I could have had the same problem as you so I went directly to traditional straight razor shaving, but be warned:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Welcome aboard!

Some suggestions that may help:
1. Better prep.
2. Assure that your lather is optimal.
3. Try to maintain an optimal razor angle.
4. NO pressure.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!
This. Especially #4…. No pressure.

Plus all of those blades you mentioned have been know to give me some irritation. Especially the Personna Lab Blue. Try a smoother blade like an Astra SP and it may help as well.

Good luck in your journey.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

Any suggestions?

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but why don't you go back to the setup that works for you for a while (or forever)?

You've paid for the Tech and you're going to use it no matter what it does to your face?

Personally, I'd put it away for a few months and then try again when you're more sure of your technique.

Short of that, you need to change at least one thing you're doing now, because it isn't working. I'd use the Persona blade as that seems like the least likely culprit (although it could be). I'd use less pressure and try a different shaving angle, maybe steeper on one side and more shallow on the other. Less pressure is always a good idea unless you start to drop the razor in the sink.

If you do what you did you'll get what you got.

Good luck.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Welcome aboard!

Some suggestions that may help:
1. Better prep.
2. Assure that your lather is optimal.
3. Try to maintain an optimal razor angle.
4. NO pressure.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!

All good suggestions and I'll second the Better prep by saying sometimes if your skin is continually irritated if you'll use some aloe vera or a moisturizer every day for a while until it heals up that may help. Sometimes the irritation can be a result of dry skin and using something like aloe works really well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Is the Mamba easier?
I do not have a RR Mamba , I would buy the Razorock SLOC for learning hands down. One of the best razors for Newbies and Seasoned shavers. It is mild > tame mid range and has a easy window angle to find and hold & gives a smooth shave. If you nick yourself with the RR SLOC I would suggest your technique needs a little more refining. I have bought 3 and have gifted 2 for beginners and have not heard anyone complain about them. You will be happy with it and they look cool and work great, there is a some blade tap over hang and that is not really a negative unless you head shave around the ears is what they would say IMO. Also it comes with a good Stainless steel handle. Don't worry about the Zamak head, mine is as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago and for around $ 20 US today it is a good deal IMO. If you want to buy the same head Yaqi makes one also called the Mellon head but you would have to wait 3-4 weeks to receive it and you would have to buy a handle for it if you do not have one. Not sure if the tech handle fits it because it is not metric.
Razorock SLOC 2017 (2).jpg
Razorock SLOC Razor 2017 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Eben Stone

Staff member
The tech isn't as comfortable but I think I'm not accustomed to feeling the blade.
Wait. What? You can feel the blade in a Gillette tech? I must have nerve damage.

Does the razor glide smoothly over your skin without tugging the skin at all? If no, then most likely you're using way too much pressure, or the consistency of your lather isn't providing enough slickness.

Persona blue
Shark chrome
Derby premium

Any suggestions?
I have no experience of Pinaud Clubman but I personally don't rate Creamo at all.

Are you using a fresh blade? I prefer a good inexpensive blade, like the Astra SP, but replace it after 3 full shaves.

I think the hype about angle is overrated, especially with a Tech. You should be able to feel when it's cutting properly and when it's not.

What Tech are you using? Any chance of a photo of it?

I do not have a RR Mamba , I would buy the Razorock SLOC for learning hands down. One of the best razors for Newbies and Seasoned shavers. It is mild > tame mid range and has a easy window angle to find and hold & gives a smooth shave. If you nick yourself with the RR SLOC I would suggest your technique needs a little more refining. I have bought 3 and have gifted 2 for beginners and have not heard anyone complain about them. You will be happy with it and they look cool and work great, there is a some blade tap over hang and that is not really a negative unless you head shave around the ears is what they would say IMO. Also it comes with a good Stainless steel handle. Don't worry about the Zamak head, mine is as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago and for around $ 20 US today it is a good deal IMO. If you want to buy the same head Yaqi makes one also called the Mellon head but you would have to wait 3-4 weeks to receive it and you would have to buy a handle for it if you do not have one. Not sure if the tech handle fits it because it is not metric.
View attachment 1473779 View attachment 1473780
Have some great shaves!
@ElwoodP I second this recommendation. I've had the Tech and given up on it multiple times as it caused me irritation. I have the Yaqi version of the SLOC and it took me a while to get up the courage to use it. Once I did I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, I'm selling mine as I'm looking to add another razor to my den and I'm on a 1 in - 1 out rotation or my RAD will get out of control! If you are interested, below is the BST for it . Hope you find something that you're happy with soon... keep working on it and you'll get the hang of it!

WTB - Seeking Lupo .58 SS (Buy or Trade) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/seeking-lupo-58-ss-buy-or-trade.625786/

You might need a milder razor. I have much experience with several years of techs and they are not the delicate ballerinas they are often claimed to be.

The Karve Straight Bar with a B plate is way smoother than a Tech as far as I’m concerned. And a cheapie Gillette Sensor2 twin cart disposable (with no lube strip or pivot mechanism) is even smoother and effective if you can believe it…

Wait. What? You can feel the blade in a Gillette tech? I must have nerve damage.

Does the razor glide smoothly over your skin without tugging the skin at all? If no, then most likely you're using way too much pressure, or the consistency of your lather isn't providing enough slickness.
This is what I'm wondering also! The razor feels a little draggy and scraps a lot. I thought I was buying good soap with the Pinaud.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is what I'm wondering also! The razor feels a little draggy and scraps a lot. I thought I was buying good soap with the Pinaud.
The Baili 131 is a closer clone to the Gillette Tech (a 1965 or 1966 Tech, if memory serves). The BD191 takes some aspects of the Tech but, as far as I know, doesn't have a direct counterpart. This thread may be of some help: Thread 'The Tech Clone Wars' The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/

Which Gillette Tech do you own? My preferred Techs are from the 1940s and 1950s.

The blades I prefer in my Techs are Feather and Kai.

Use a steep angle, as King C. Gillette taught us.

Pinaud soap is okay - I use it as my travel soap. How are you building your lather? Do you face lather or bowl lather?

Top Bottom