What's new

Canadian Novaculite

S.G. of 3.0? That has something other than novaculite in it then. Straight novaculite is basically pure silica, the S.G. can't be higher than about 2.65. I'll be interested to hear how it works.

Hopefully today will be the day I get this baby flat. It’s eaten two packs of 220wet/dry so far but the end is in sight. I have almost taken it to the belt sander more than once but decided against it. This thing is testing my patience.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hopefully today will be the day I get this baby flat. It’s eaten two packs of 220wet/dry so far but the end is in sight. I have almost taken it to the belt sander more than once but decided against it. This thing is testing my patience.

By the sound of it you may never need to lap the stone again though lol

All I can offer is appreciation. Curious to see how it works.

Get some Silicon Carbide lose grit and some glass I went with 400, 600, and 1200 grit. as i found out on my Ark

Get some Silicon Carbide lose grit and some glass I went with 400, 600, and 1200 grit. as i found out on my Ark
Unfortunately I don’t have access to SIC where I’m at. Off to the hardware store for some more wet/dry tomorrow.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Unfortunately I don’t have access to SIC where I’m at. Off to the hardware store for some more wet/dry tomorrow.

From somebody who has been there, take a time out and get some sic. A good source is Silicon Carbide, Got Grit for sic. I bought one pound of the courser grits and 1/2 pound of the finer grits. I have lapped four large hard arks and have have more then half left for more. You only need to use a small amount, 1/4 teaspoon until it wears out. I use a large piece of granite countertop for lapping. No matter what you use, it will be a workout.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
That definitely sounds like a stone to consider. Please report back once you get some razors honed on it.

That definitely sounds like a stone to consider. Please report back once you get some razors honed on it.
I’m about 3/4 if the way there. I have a feeling once it’s finished it will be very very nice. I have 2 oz of each, 90x, 180x, 280x, 400x and 600x SIC powder in the way. This should finally get the job done. I’ll update next weekend when I’m home.

Not tbe most even spine but very good edge on my Wade and butcher razor.
I’m following closely. I’m super interested in how the edges turn out on this hard as all get out rock!

Attachments

• 1511846808116-645239906.jpg
    1511846808116-645239906.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 1511846994466185745253.jpg
    1511846994466185745253.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 1511847028905489738439.jpg
    1511847028905489738439.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 1511847086767-1695204862.jpg
    1511847086767-1695204862.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
Well I finally got this thing flat, well nearly flat. There is still a small corner that is low but I can easily use it to hone on. I will continue to work on it during the holidays to get it to where I want it.

I did about 50 x strokes on it with water only and while it didn’t remove any of the previous scratches, it certainly did polish the edge very nicely. That was with the stone finished on 90x sic and dressed with the matching dressing stone.

It said in the comments when I bought the stone to use the rubber to raise a slurry, I can say that this is not going to work unless you use a diamond cart or have more patience that a zen master. That said the rubber polishes the stone very nicely.

Once completely flat I will finish it to 600x sic and go from there. So far I believe I do have a wonderful stone and a nice addition to my collection. I will update as things progress and I get more time to test the stone.

So I finally had a chance to put a blade to this stone and I will say that it did produce a nice polished edge. I went to the stone with water only after I was finished on my Frankonian and it didn’t seem to do much at all so I added a bit dish soap. This helped it out a bit, but decided to pop a drop of oil on the stone. This really seemed to help polish the edge nicely. Keep in mind the stone has only been lapped to 90x sic and smoothed out with the rubber. Next I’m going to dress the stone to 600x sic and go from there. I will keep updating as I go.

Top Bottom