What's new

Canadian Eclipse Red Ring Pass Around

brucered

System Generated
I recently acquired a Red Ring Eclipse and had it sent to the UK for a repair and minor touch ups on the finish. It is back and ready for use and on it's way to a few "by invitation" B&B members to give this rare beauty a trial run.

Each of them will keep the razor for a week or two and put it through their routine and give feedback as to how it feels and shaves.

My intention was to let a few members try it out as it's a rare razor and many will not get a chance to own or see one. I was lucky enough to find it locally and want to pass on my gratitude to the members of the B&B community for helping me find a quality vendor to handle the repair (Dave @ RestoredRazors.com).

This thread is set up for them to give honest feedback on the razor and let us know how it really performs and shaves. Their reviews will be unbiased and honest, they did not pay anything for the razor, gain nothing or loose anything for saying it's the "Best Razor Ever" or saying "Why would anyone want to shave with this".

I am starting off by sending it out to 3-4 members (each will keep for a couple weeks) and may consider more in the future, depending on how this little "pass around" goes.

Please do not PM me asking for the razor at this time, it was sent to a few select members to start and may or may not continue after this little pass around.

I used the razor for 3 days before sending it off to the 1st participant. My shaves were all very smooth, irritation free and near BBS. I found I liked the razor on a near closed (tightened all the way) setting and got great shaves using my normal 3 pass method (***, XTG, ATG). Not sure I'd pay the top dollar price tag they fetch for a daily use razor, but I can clearly see why collectors like these razors. It is build very solid, has unique head (it's a cross between an OC and Straight Bar), has nice heft, inscription on handle is ultra classy and the motif on the head is also a touch of class. Now if only I could get my hands on one of the Red Ring cases...

Hope to see the other reviewers post their comments once the razor arrives.

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been saving up stubble so I can shave as soon as I get it... I think I even have one SI left here to put to good use too

Bruce,

I'm also in Canada but I have one myself, so I'm not interested. Just wanted to reiterated what the others have said. Very generous of you. A true gentleman shaver :)

The people in this community never cease to amaze me with their open attitudes and generosity.

Not sure what happened but there seems to be some sort of razor with a red ring around its base here today... which is good cause I really need Tpbm shave.... more to come later on this evening

Ill drop some pics in tomorrow, got running around helping my dad do some stuff before his winter retreat to florida on wednesday, had a hot shower and shaved with the little red ring tonight,.. it was impressive very smooth removed 5 days worth of growth for me in two passes with a little touch up,... I have some areas that some of my other areas leave a better job with,.. but not quite asd smooth, but i also used a perma sharp blade i have never tried before so ill toss in something more familiar next round to get more detailed feeling for what the razor is doing

I like the weight of it a well as the balance, the open tooth kind of design to it has it shave closer to a open comb then a safety bar which i like quite a bit,... no nicks weepers irritation or the like
it does do a great job, if it were easily available just after tonights shave i would probably run right out and get one depending on cost of course

As i said though i got home late and need to get to bed here, so tomorrow night ill answer any questions get some pictures and add a little more to what i have said here, but i wanted to get my initial thoughts out before i went to bed

So far i like this very much !

Bruce,

Very generous of you to offer such a rare razor for a pass around!

James / syngent,

Thanks for posting your first shaving impression! There were a couple of red rings that were up on the bay recently but both of them went way beyond my snipe few hours before the auction ended and I did not want to increase my max bid. In the end both the razors sold for close to 200 USD each!!!

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
@james....glad it arrived safe and you got a chance to use it. your 1st shave was kind of like mine with it, underhwhelmed.

my next few shaves were incredibly good with it. it definetely has the cool factor going for it and is built very well.

hope your next few shaves were as good as my last few with it, before i sent it on it's way. looking forward to hearing more thoughts in the new few days/week

I wouldnt say underwhelmed, it felt great but I do have stubble coming back up again... after a few of my known great blades I'll see, but it left my face in good enough shape I should be able to shave again tonight

Well had a chance to go see dad last night before he left to Florida for the winter so second shave will be tonight when I get home... I have some sandpaper to throw at this guy tonight too... will be a good test for its smoothness

Wow thats a very nice idea Bruce, I cant wait to hear everybody's opinion on the razor, I have one on the way from a fellow member I cant wait to shave with.

$2012-11-19 14.43.22.jpg
Tonight is my second night out with it, and also a second day shave for me,... not usually a nice one as my stubble is like sandpaper, made sure i did some good prep work hot shower, cleanse, and soem other stuff i do,... loaded a super max platinum tonight and did a single with the grain with some touch ups,... all that was really needed and i could feel anymore would cause trouble for my skin,.. but i will say this, i cant shave on this day with many razors, again more then i am accustom to leaving behind left, but still a great shave non the less

i would say its on the aggressive side of mild, but still a mild shaver it was smooth for me again but i would have had to do some buffing to really get some areas

ill give it a few days growth till im at a comfortable spot with my face and see what my usual blades do with that when i can push things a bit more, But im liking this little guy,.. its not over the top but it does what it does very well

$2012-11-22 01.05.46.jpg

Top Bottom