What's new

Can someone describe(give an opinion) the "Persona Blue" blades?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I find them a little sharper and a little smoother than Astras - with slightly better longevity.

I find Feathers a tiny bit sharper, but considerably less forgiving. Also the Feathers are considerably more expensive - especially when factoring in the better Blue longevity.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/271565-Blind-test-5-Feather-vs-Personna-Med-Prep

Many here would argue that there is no difference between the Med Preps and the Blues.

I'm not one of them, but I think this blind test is worth a look.

I've found that in some razors like the EJ DE89 I couldn't tell the difference between a Lab and a Med Prep blade. In these instances definitely go with the Labs. In other razors I can definitely tell that the Med Prep blades are superior. Someone put them under a microscope a while ago and they are definitely not the same blade.

That being said the Lab blades are very good and an excellent value at their current Amazon price of about $11 for 100. They are quite sharp (for me not as sharp as a Feather blade) and also very smooth which is a great combination to have in a blade. I'd recommend them over the Astra SP blades every time as they seem both sharper and smoother to me.

Are these the ones that they sell at Sally's?

Because so far they have been the worst blade i have tried.

Just ordered a 100 last week and I'll give them a run.
if no good , I will trade them, sell them, PIF them or give
them away.
I suspect they will be fine.

I find them a little sharper and a little smoother than Astras - with slightly better longevity.

I find Feathers a tiny bit sharper, but considerably less forgiving. Also the Feathers are considerably more expensive - especially when factoring in the better Blue longevity.

This exactly mirrors my experience with the Personna Super, Astra Platinum and Feather blades.

That's what I call Personna Barbers.

Then that means that i have not tried the real personna blues? these must be inferior blades compared the real blues, because i think i am the only one that has said (in this thread) that these arrow blades are terrible.

I started by DE shave journey with Blues and I still like them very much; however, the Israeli Personnas (~$19 for 120) are a much more comfortable blade, IMHO. Not a hint of irritation, even after 3 passes, and the weepies are all but a thing of the past. I did find a way to smooth out the Blues - so to speak - by running them once through a cork before the first use. That seemed to take off any rough spots.

Cheers,

Rick

I'm beginning to believe that Personna only makes one blade and what people describe as the "lab" blues are the exact same blade that is rebranded in the chain stores. I already read in a different post a quote from Personna explaining that the blues are the exact same as the med preps, but that the med preps go through extra cleaning for hospital use.

I'm beginning to believe that Personna only makes one blade and what people describe as the "lab" blues are the exact same blade that is rebranded in the chain stores. I already read in a different post a quote from Personna explaining that the blues are the exact same as the med preps, but that the med preps go through extra cleaning for hospital use.

Note that the Blues and Meds are both manufactured in the ASR plant in the USA. Personna also manufacturers the "Israeli Personnas/Crystals" and "Red Personnas" in Israel, and they are most definitely different blades than the Blues/Meds. Personna also makes generic and OEM blades (e.g., CVS, Walgreens, etc.). These blades, too, are different, and I do not know where they are produced.

I have no idea why accurate American Safety Razor / Personna information is so hard to obtain. I guess its just one of the annoying quirks of wet shaving.

In any event, I find that the Blues are sharp, smooth and long-lasting, and my preferred everyday blade (my other favorite is the Super-Max Super Platinum). Additionally, I feel no discernible difference between the Blues and the Meds.

Top Bottom