What's new

Can a synthetic brush cause irritation?

Can a brush or cream cause the red spots of irritation?
I ask because sometimes it seems I have red spots starting just before the cream covers my face. And my shaves are very smooth. They don't feel like I am irritating my skin at all. But when I rinse, I have red spots all over.
I don't have allergies that I know of.
My synthetic brush is a $4.99 from Amaz.
I just can't get rid of the spots.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Try the same cream with brush you have that didn't give you spots, and try the same brush with a cream you have that didn't give you spots. That will give you the answer.
I wouldn't expect a lot out of a 5 dollar brush though.
Depending upon its country of manufacture, you may have no idea what those bristles are actually made of.

Seems unlikely that it's the brush. With a cheap brush they're hardly likely to use silver tip badger bristles and claim they're synthetic. I can quite believe that a shaving cream might cause a reaction, though.

I have been experimenting with several soaps and creams. I guess I'll have to go back to the Creamo and start over.

I have an Aqua Velva after shave balm (cream) they gets my skin irritated when used after a shave with Proraso red shave cream. Doesn't happen when mixed with any other shaving cream. I guess something between the two don't mix. So it can be a host of things. Do what @luvmysuper said and I'd also check other products used such as your after shave. Something might be reacting to something else or maybe something (on its own) might be causing your issue.

True.
I am looking at things other than my shaving routine also. Just in case...
I was hoping someone would say, "that exact thing happened to me and I fixed it with Oreos".
Oh well..

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Seems unlikely that it's the brush. With a cheap brush they're hardly likely to use silver tip badger bristles and claim they're synthetic. I can quite believe that a shaving cream might cause a reaction, though.
I'm not suggesting that badger hair was substituted. Nope. I'd be happy if that were the case.
But if you don't know what the "synthetic" material is because the manufacturer is dishonest, who can say.

Who would expect:

Fake eggs

recycled cooking oil from the sewer

Fake food seasoning

Fake rice

Fake honey

Fake baby formula

Recycled 50 year old frozen meat

I'm not suggesting that badger hair was substituted. Nope. I'd be happy if that were the case.
But if you don't know what the "synthetic" material is because the manufacturer is dishonest, who can say.

Who would expect:

Fake eggs

recycled cooking oil from the sewer

Fake food seasoning

Fake rice

Fake honey

Fake baby formula

Recycled 50 year old frozen meat
I think you've reaffirmed my decision to avoid Chinese made products at all costs!

Maybe I'll look for a nicer synthetic brush. Just in case.
Any budget friendly recommendations?
Razorock brushes are my favorite synthetics and are of fantastic quality. And they're cheap!
Even better than my synthetic Simpsons!
My favorite is the Plissoft Disruptor.
Here are all of them:

If you go to Groomatorium, they have a section that says "Mega sale". In that section they've got a couple of them on sale for super cheap.

Any budget friendly recommendations?
The Yaqi Fatory Store on Aliexpress will put their defect handle brushes up for sale for sale every so often. They will also put some brushes for half off every few months---you can then get a timberwolf for about $8 and it's a very good brush.

Edit: I've never tried a Razorock brush, but I keep seeing that they're good. I'd take a look at LRod's suggestion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think you've reaffirmed my decision to avoid Chinese made products at all costs!
There are legit quality products from China. It's all in the QA demands, and the process checks. That often doesn't translate to cheap, which is a major factor in selection.
There are some good synthetic brushes being produced at very reasonable prices including Chinese made.
Buy from a seller who cares about his reputation and not one that doesn't care one iota if you never buy from them again.

There are legit quality products from China. It's all in the QA demands, and the process checks. That often doesn't translate to cheap, which is a major factor in selection.
There are some good synthetic brushes being produced at very reasonable prices including Chinese made.
Buy from a seller who cares about his reputation and not one that doesn't care one iota if you never buy from them again.
I guess you're right. I do have a Yaqi synthetic that I bought direct from them and it's fine. Regardless, I tend to try buying stuff that's made elsewhere and not from there (when able).
And reading stuff like that just blows my mind!

The Yaqi Fatory Store on Aliexpress will put their defect handle brushes up for sale for sale every so often. They will also put some brushes for half off every few months---you can then get a timberwolf for about $8 and it's a very good brush.

Edit: I've never tried a Razorock brush, but I keep seeing that they're good. I'd take a look at LRod's suggestion.
Your suggestion is good too. I have one of those defect Yaqi brushes from the factory store. I think I paid like $6 for it. (Couldn't say no to that price). I bought it when I purchased the Yaqi slant agressive. I kept the brush but got rid of the razor. I can't seem to find any defects though except the fact that it has no logo. Works well!
The Razorock brushes are unbeatable for the price. Quality is A-1 and they're made in Canada.

Top Bottom