What's new

Can a DE blade in a shavette give as good a straight razor shave as a Straight?

You can get a shave every bit as good as you can get with a DE, but you can as well with a regular straight razor. IMHO a shavette is an experts tool... They are very demanding, and totally unforgiving. With a regular straight you might be able to get away with the occasional faux pas =)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The quality of shave from someone else is dependant more on the skill of the shaver than the implement used IMO.

The quality of shave from someone else is dependant more on the skill of the shaver than the implement used IMO.
I agree with this. You can get a great shave from a shavette but if your barber isn't very skilled you probably won't be happy at all with the result.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A shavette is certainly capable of as close a shave as a straight. Maybe not as comfortable, though. As others have said, it is mostly the hand that wields the tool, more than the tool itself, that determines the outcome.

I have tried both and in my opinion the shavette is more prone to nicking due to the square edges of the blade. However good barbers will compensate for this and will ensure the blade is maintained at the right angles throughout the shave. Good prep will also make a big difference.

I have been using DE for about 10 years and just switched to using a shavette. Haven't tried a straight, didn't want to bother with all the honing and stropping and stuff. Have to say I really like using the shavette.

Also, I will say that I get a better shave with the shavette. But not because the shavette is any better. Basically I find it much easier to do cleanup for the random stray hairs. I could never get that much precision with my Merkur slant.

I wanted to start a new topic, but figured this is relevant enough. Is there a way to properly communicate to a barber how to shave your face? I have gotten shaves from various barbers with a shavette and it always feels like my face is being skinned like a potato and I end up with massive amounts of ingrown hairs. It seems most of them use the same technique from what I have come across. So my question is, is there something to communicate about your face? Are some people's faces just not cut out (pun intended) for straight razor shaving?

Ask the barber to not shave against the grain and advise that you're very prone to ingrowns. A good barber can go with the grain and across the grain to give you a nice, close shave. It may or may not be a full blown BBS, but it should be a good shave nonetheless.

DON'T go to a barbershop!

99% of all barbershop shave stories here on B&B are dissapointments. The only thing the guys like is the hot towels. Are hot towels worth $50?

Buy a shavette for $20, learn how to use it, make your own damn hot towels and enjoy shaving for the rest of your life.

DON'T go to a barbershop!

99% of all barbershop shave stories here on B&B are dissapointments. The only thing the guys like is the hot towels. Are hot towels worth $50?

Buy a shavette for $20, learn how to use it, make your own damn hot towels and enjoy shaving for the rest of your life.

Or buy a honed GD 66 for $20 & a Poor Man strop kit for $25. It is worth it.

So, my hair guy gave me a cut two days ago and a shave. This guy has given me two other shaves and is the better of any person that has given me a shave. He mostly stayed with the grain as I told him and after the shave he said to me, "You, my friend have the most sensitive skin I have ever come across, it is impossible not to irritate your skin." Hmm, never thought about it, but there you have it. So yeah, it is two days later, face full of ingrowns. I think I am just not cut out for it.

The shaves I've had were in a word ,,, lousy. Could have done much better myself. The only positive thing about the shave was,,,, well she ( the barber) was pretty hot . The hot towels , massage etc made it worth it. I can always shave myself any day......

Yeah I would suggest getting you own shavette from a local beauty/barber supply shop like sally's. If you don't like it then no problem. You won't even be close to the expense of a barber shave.

Nice post. I've been using a DE for a couple years. Tried a shavette, just on the cheeks. Nicked. Its me of course. I found it scary. I'll cool out and try it again.

Well, I guess my intention to going to my hair guy to get a shavette shave has never been to get a "better" shave than using my DE, but rather just enjoy the experience of getting a shave at the barber. I like the feel of it and enjoy the old-timey aspect of it, but it just never seems to work.

Top Bottom