SOTD

View attachment 1090135 :001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Duke 1 in Pure
Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: RazoRock GC84 with custom resin handle
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (16)
ASL: Bakewell Tart Aftershave Treat

Another lovely shave. :cornut:

The "Duke" is a very nice little brush. I love the scrub but not the scritch. I guess buying Pure instead of Best was false economy. :001_rolle

I'd be interested in Best.

The Pure looks pretty cool.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I duuno, Jim was asking my about my Omega 618........

I've got nothing against brushes with knots 23 mm or 24 mm. I have several of the Yaqi and Stirling 24 mm two bands and like them just fine.

MightyMidget.0-Rings.640.6-18.JPG

I also sometimes use my Mighty Midget or my Mixed Midget. Both are pretty small. I even occasionally consider buying for myself a Wee Scot!

It's true that I'm a fan of bigger knots, but that has its limits. To a degree it really depends on the brush and the particular knot. I've used a couple of brushes with knots I find unwieldy, but mostly I do well with large knots and find them fun to use and not a bother in any sense. I wonder if a brush like the Wee Scot might be too dainty.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't know anything much about Simpson brushes, having none of them, but I like to read about their knots.

1587562042017.png

I think Jarrod (this was copied from Superior Shave) is a big fan of Simpson brushes. As usual he has an interesting opinion.

4-13-20.Steve'sVulfix.FatipOCSlant.Vitos.640.JPG

I'm still test driving this Vulfix. Link. The knot is silvertip, and identical to Simpson's Super Badger. It certainly has "presence." I don't mean to be saying anything negative about the feel of the knot, but it is nowhere near as soft feeling on my skin as my Zenith Manchurians nor is it as soft as my Zenith silvertip and my Maseto silvertips. Again, that's not a knock on the knot's feel; more it's a comment on the knot's presence and how it strikes me as atypical for a silvertip.

Obviously I don't really know anything about Simpson brushes. I know Vulfix owns Simpson. I know Jarrod says the Vulfix hairs are identical to those of Simpson's Super Badger, but perhaps they feel totally different set deeper in the handle (as Simpson does).

Here's what Jarrod says about the one Simpson he sells in Pure. I think he's not a fan.

I've also been looking around at Zenith Pure and Zenith Best. I can find a brush or two in their Best, and I know they list brushes in Pure. However, I can't find a Pure for sale. Not sure I'd buy one if I found it. I've gotten very picky about handles and sizes and such and prone to not buying everything I put in the cart.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
SOTD

SOTD-GC84-V-G­_2020-04-22.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 18/47 Silvertip D01
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (17)

An excellent shave. :cornut:

I'm back in love with my tiny Shavemac. It's definitely the most wonderful brush I possess in every way (barring the fact that I prefer the LOOK of two bands to three bands).

My evening shave was definitely a sweet one. Marzipan lather, Bakewell Tart ASL, and a post-shave Coke. :sorcerer:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
SOTD

View attachment 1090608 :001_wub:

Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (17)

An excellent shave. :cornut:

I'm back in love with my tiny Shavemac. It's definitely the most wonderful brush I possess in every way (barring the fact that I prefer the LOOK of two bands to three bands).

My evening shave was definitely a sweet one. Marzipan lather, Bakewell Tart ASL, and a post-shave Coke. :sorcerer:

I can barely smell the scent of Vitos Red even when I try hard. I'm fine with the scent when I catch it, but mostly it just smells like nothing to me.

How do you like the performance of the Vitos, Cal? To me, it's one of the best soaps I've used it terms of its performance during the shave. Plus, it doesn't seem to dry my skin (which is huge for me; many soaps I otherwise like dry my skin). It also doesn't seem to clog the drains in my old house (many artisans stop up my pipes after a while using them). I have a 1000 ml block somewhere between Connaught and here; it's been in transit since March 23rd.

I'm using the Red almost all the time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I can barely smell the scent of Vitos Red even when I try hard.
I have a keen sense of smell and enjoy the pleasant Vitos Red aroma throughout the shave. Maybe that's why the SV Felce Aromatica was just TOO MUCH for me but you seem to enjoy it. :001_unsur
How do you like the performance of the Vitos, Cal?
I've always liked its performance. But seeing your pics on a regular basis put me back onto it. And now numerous shaves in (Fixed style) I'm simply loving it.
So thank you Jim, I appreciate your prompting (although that probably wasn't your intention). :biggrin:
I'm using the Red almost all the time.
ditto :punk:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Pardon me, folks.

Are youse gents implying Vitos Extra Super Coco and Vitos Extra Super Rosso+ are the same, sudsy animal?

My mind’s eye pictured Extra Super Coco as Susan Darnell’s Promethean gift to mortals mere and Extra Super Rosso+ as some formulation accessible only to a select few.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pardon me, folks.

Are youse gents implying Vitos Extra Super Coco and Vitos Extra Super Rosso+ are the same, sudsy animal?

My mind’s eye pictured Extra Super Coco as Susan Darnell’s Promethean gift to mortals mere and Extra Super Rosso+ as some formulation accessible only to a select few.

Vitos %22Red%22 4-1-20. 380.jpg

This ^ is a picture of the one I have as sold by Connaught. I call it Vitos Red because Cal does (picked the name up from him I did).

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

Mine as purchased in the 100 ml amount sold by Connaught had the above ^ label.

I first heard of Vitos Extra Super Rosso+ until minutes ago, but have apparently been using it regularly. Trust me, it's a treat.

The catalogue and her website are interesting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

:facep: Didn't you guys even look at page 6 in the catalog?

1587661953146.png

Then Google translate, then my translation from Googledegook to English:

1587662188943.png

Are we on the same page now gents? (pun not intended) :001_rolle

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I've switched from Vitos Extra Scrappy Coco to

Vitos Extra Super Rosso+

One in the same according page 7 of Ms. Darnell’s .pdf file as shared by @Cal Though more suavely continental stayed as you did.

Are we on the same page now gents? (pun not intended)

Certainly. We see “The Red” listed as either Vitos Extra Super Rosso+ or Vitos Extra Super Coco. And your translate.google.com of the .pdf file confirms my hand-typed research of the same, two words in that the Italian “ROSSO+” and the English “RED+” have identical meanings.

I hope the only confusion stems from referring to “Extra Super Coco” as “Extra Scrappy Coco,” though it’s less confusing than “glycerinated bread dough - red” and it can be resolved now:

In the 2008 cinematic tour de force; “You Don’t Mess With the Zohan;” Zohan’s professional name as an American hair dresser was “Scrappy Coco” (based on the names of two dogs he saw in kennels in an airplane’s cargo area) and his desire was to make all of his hairdressing clients feel ‘silky smooth.’ The goal of Vitos Extra Super Coco is identical albeit whisker-focused.

SOTD

SOTD-GC84-V-R­_2020-04-23.jpg

Soap: Vitos Rosso+
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (18)

Another excellent shave. :cornut: Could I be on a lifetime Fixed Four? Nah, Lo Storto's in transit.

SOTD

SOTD-GC84-V-B­_2020-04-24.jpg

Soap: Vitos Rosso+
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (19)
ASL: Proraso Red

A very pleasant shave. :cornut:

As much as I've been enjoying the Bakewell Tart Aftershave Treat, I had a sudden longing for my beloved Proraso Red ASL... FABULOUS! The problem with watering down the Stirling Splash to get the scent acceptable to my nose is that I'm watering down all the other ingredients too.
Ah, the struggles us detail freaks and perfectionists go through. :crazy:

Top Bottom