What's new

Magpul Hunter Stocks

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Does anyone own a rifle with a Magpul hunter stock? I took my Rem. 700 out today for the first time in years to get it zeroed in for deer season. Shooting it made me remember how much I hate the factory stock. This is a hunting rifle, not a long range tack driver, so I don't need a $600 stock. I like that the Hunter has an aluminum bedding block and the options for accessories including adding Magpul's detachable box magazine system. Cost is under $300 (barely). Other stocks that I see in the same-ish price points would be some of the B&C products, Boyd's laminated, and Hogue overmolded which honestly I've pretty much ruled out already.

As is with the factory stock and factory ammo I was easily getting 4 shot groups within 1.5 inches at 100yds shooting off of bags on a very unsteady table. Not tack driver groups but definitely deer killer groups. I'm hoping to tighten these groups up a little with a new stock and hand loaded ammo.

Any other brands I should look at? Any reason I shouldn't get the Magpul?

Last edited:
I have it on my 10/22 TD (Backpacker, same design), and love the feel. You get everything you need for a reasonable price, with lots of add-on options. The pillar bedding is more than adequate, but if you wanted to go whole hog full glass-bedding is easy with the skeletonized inner structure.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have it on my 10/22 TD (Backpacker, same design), and love the feel. You get everything you need for a reasonable price, with lots of add-on options. The pillar bedding is more than adequate, but if you wanted to go whole hog full glass-bedding is easy with the skeletonized inner structure.
Thanks. I’m looking at the Backpacker for my 10/22 TD as well.

Thanks. I’m looking at the Backpacker for my 10/22 TD as well.
When I first got it, Hogue was the only aftermarket option. I drilled the stock and forend, and used bronze tubular bushings to create my own pillars. Magpul was so much easier!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Does anyone own a rifle with a Magpul hunter stock? I took my Rem. 700 out today for the first time in years to get it zeroed in for deer season. Shooting it made me remember how much I hate the factory stock. This is a hunting rifle, not a long range tack driver, so I don't need a $600 stock. I like that the Hunter has an aluminum bedding block and the options for accessories including adding Magpul's detachable box magazine system. Cost is under $300 (barely). Other stocks that I see in the same-ish price points would be some of the B&C products, Boyd's laminated, and Hogue overmolded which honestly I've pretty much ruled out already.

As is with the factory stock and factory ammo I was easily getting 4 shot groups within 1.5 inches at 100yds shooting off of bags on a very unsteady table. Not tack driver groups but definitely deer killer groups. I'm hoping to tighten these groups up a little with a new stock and hand loaded ammo.

Any other brands I should look at? Any reason I shouldn't get the Magpul?

I'll probably be switching out to the Hunter stock myself on my 6.5 Ruger American.

2C5DDE5A-D956-42C6-9640-0957E89D1DDA.jpeg

Great stock for the price.

Here's an opinion based on having owned Magpul, Hogue, McMillan, Richards Microfit and Boyd's aftermarket stocks, buy a Boyd's.
Hogue is heavy and feels weird.
McMillan is great but is horribly expensive.
Richards Microfit is good but can get pricey (check their site they have great sales on occasion). If I remember right the one I had was their Classic in laminate, I liked it but didn't like the gun I put it on.
Magpul does the job but feels cheap.
I have had quite a few Boyd's and now have the Pro Varmint on a Tony Kidd 10/22 and like it. I've had their Coyote Tan and Nutmeg laminates on bolt guns and both are pretty in person. The tactical versions are pretty heavy and bulky feeling but the sporter ones are comfy for a hunting rifle.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'd look for a walnut take-off factory stock on eBay and consider getting it hydro dipped. If you want to save money, you can hydro dip it with spray paint at home for a few bucks. Granite or crackle rattle can is another DIY option.
Does the hydro dip offer any water repellency? Hunting down in Texas I rarely had to worry about rain and literally never snow on opening day. Here in Indiana we’re expecting a rain/snow mix this year. I’m leaning towards a synthetic stock for the added weather protection.

For the most durable hydro dipped finish, whether it be a professionally applied film or a home rattle can job, I would apply clear afterwards. Some of the guys I shoot benchrest with have their stocks cleared with an automotive clear coat. They drop them off at a body shop and have the painter give them a few coats while he's painting a car.

I have never had a problem hunting with a wood stock gun foul weather. One of my 700 BDLs has probably spent more hunting days in the rain than the dry. Never had an issue.

I don't hunt, but have been shooting in every type of weather for various yuks & grins.

Laminate woods are generally pretty moisture safe.

But. I find wood to be heavy, generally more expensive & less tolerant of overall hard use than poly.

Just my bias- my firearms are stainless, nitride + polycoat, polymer furniture. Blued & wood is a pain in the rear (to me). If you do the upkeep, things are pretty even, across the board. I'm just too tired for the annual wipe down for blued & checking the wood for evidence of moisture retention.

OkieStubble

I don't hunt, but have been shooting in every type of weather for various yuks & grins.

Laminate woods are generally pretty moisture safe.

But. I find wood to be heavy, generally more expensive & less tolerant of overall hard use than poly.

Just my bias- my firearms are stainless, nitride + polycoat, polymer furniture. Blued & wood is a pain in the rear (to me). If you do the upkeep, things are pretty even, across the board. I'm just too tired for the annual wipe down for blued & checking the wood for evidence of moisture retention.

A man after my own heart. ;)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Well now I screwed up and started looking at HS precision stocks. I’ll probably end up going with one of their PSS010 stocks in woodland camo.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I know nothing about Magpul stocks so can't help there. Way back in 1988, I bought a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock for my Remington 700 .243 and I really like it. The shape pretty much matches factory wood stocks of that era. The color is like a flat or dull moss green. I think I paid under $200 at the time, but obviously prices are much higher now. The stock is light, attractive and very durable. Very easy to carry on long trek's. Fit and finish is very high quality. Still have the gun & stock.

Later, I bought a cheaper composite stock in black, but now I can't recall the maker.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I know nothing about Magpul stocks so can't help there. Way back in 1988, I bought a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock for my Remington 700 .243 and I really like it. The shape pretty much matches factory wood stocks of that era. The color is like a flat or dull moss green. I think I paid under $200 at the time, but obviously prices are much higher now. The stock is light, attractive and very durable. Very easy to carry on long trek's. Fit and finish is very high quality. Still have the gun & stock.

Later, I bought a cheaper composite stock in black, but now I can't recall the maker.

Good luck with your search.
Any pics? :)

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Here she is minus scope. As you can see, it's a lefty, which were kind of hard to come by.

20221116_102535.jpg

The finish is kind of a rough 'wrinkle' texture which makes for non-slip grip and non-reflective.

Someday, I may get the steel cerakoted.

.243 Winchester may no longer be as popular as the trendy new calibers like 6.5 CM, but ammo is ubiquitous and cheap. It's all I need for Kansas whitetails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom