What's new

Magpul Hunter Stocks

We have a local company here that makes stocks Manners Composite stocks)but they are expensive they are right across the street from GA Precision you can spend a bundle on that block

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Well now I screwed up and started looking at HS precision stocks. I’ll probably end up going with one of their PSS010 stocks in woodland camo.

H&S Precision looks like very fine composite stocks. :)

@Whisky Sorry for me getting this thread so far off original topic. Guess I got too carried away.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Here she is minus scope. As you can see, it's a lefty, which were kind of hard to come by.

View attachment 1557593

The finish is kind of a rough 'wrinkle' texture which makes for non-slip grip and non-reflective.

Someday, I may get the steel cerakoted.

.243 Winchester may no longer be as popular as the trendy new calibers like 6.5 CM, but ammo is ubiquitous and cheap. It's all I need for Kansas whitetails.

Yeah, that’s nice!

OkieStubble

Does anyone own a rifle with a Magpul hunter stock? I took my Rem. 700 out today for the first time in years to get it zeroed in for deer season. Shooting it made me remember how much I hate the factory stock. This is a hunting rifle, not a long range tack driver, so I don't need a $600 stock. I like that the Hunter has an aluminum bedding block and the options for accessories including adding Magpul's detachable box magazine system. Cost is under $300 (barely). Other stocks that I see in the same-ish price points would be some of the B&C products, Boyd's laminated, and Hogue overmolded which honestly I've pretty much ruled out already.

As is with the factory stock and factory ammo I was easily getting 4 shot groups within 1.5 inches at 100yds shooting off of bags on a very unsteady table. Not tack driver groups but definitely deer killer groups. I'm hoping to tighten these groups up a little with a new stock and hand loaded ammo.

Any other brands I should look at? Any reason I shouldn't get the Magpul?

I get that MagPul is reasonably priced equipment, but have you seen a negative review on the Hunter stock?
I haven’t. And I have read lots of reviews. :)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This is what I ended up going with. I think I’m going to be happy.
C6001E25-4C93-4696-9629-BB0A342DEF9F.png
I got the grey/black splatter pattern which should be a good base color for the camo paint job I’m going to do on it. Lost of greys around here during hunting season and not a lot of greens.

OkieStubble

This is what I ended up going with. I think I’m going to be happy.
View attachment 1572767
I got the grey/black splatter pattern which should be a good base color for the camo paint job I’m going to do on it. Lost of greys around here during hunting season and not a lot of greens.

What did you pay for it? Hope you post pics when you get the rifle put together.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
HS Precision is good stuff. Pics when it’s done. :)
Dropped the receiver into the stock today. It’ll stay like this for a while, too cold to paint anything here for the next 2-3 months. Once the stock is painted and back on I’m going to pull the scope, align/lap the rings, and then put it all back together. The stock stock was literally a hollow piece of plastic.
602F3513-1838-4194-AF7B-940F3F66E0E0.jpeg
Closeup of the texture. It’s very grippy. C7C37F02-0118-41CC-86CB-8BD8678B3BFD.jpeg
The pic doesn’t really show it well but the barrel is perfectly centered in the barrel channel. I can easily slide a piece of card stock all the way up the barrel.
D1951789-22AB-4DFA-ADED-F88255DA77C8.jpeg
Unfortunately with the cold weather I’ll probably have to wait until spring to really stretch it out to 3-400yds. I may be able to get out to 100yds if we get a few days of warm weather.

OkieStubble

Dropped the receiver into the stock today. It’ll stay like this for a while, too cold to paint anything here for the next 2-3 months. Once the stock is painted and back on I’m going to pull the scope, align/lap the rings, and then put it all back together. The stock stock was literally a hollow piece of plastic.
View attachment 1574324
Closeup of the texture. It’s very grippy. View attachment 1574322
The pic doesn’t really show it well but the barrel is perfectly centered in the barrel channel. I can easily slide a piece of card stock all the way up the barrel.
View attachment 1574323
Unfortunately with the cold weather I’ll probably have to wait until spring to really stretch it out to 3-400yds. I may be able to get out to 100yds if we get a few days of warm weather.

Yeah, that looks really nice! What did you pay for it again? I might need to change my mind about the MHS for my Ruger 6.5. :)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Yeah, that looks really nice! What did you pay for it again? I might need to change my mind about the MHS for my Ruger 6.5. :)
It was $326 with Tax. The 25% off coupon that opticsplanet sent me was what sealed the deal.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Was it like a membership discount or just a general online offer?
I just got one of those we haven’t seen you for a while and we’re sorry if we did something to drive you away here’s a 25% off coupon code type email. Basically, you haven’t spent any money here for a while here’s something to help you do that. I was surprised that the code worked for the stock and that they had one in stock. I’ve found that overall opticsplanet has better prices on a lot of things the other well known shooting stores carry, but their inventories are usually much lower. They’ll list a price but rarely have the item in stock.

OkieStubble

I just got one of those we haven’t seen you for a while and we’re sorry if we did something to drive you away here’s a 25% off coupon code type email. Basically, you haven’t spent any money here for a while here’s something to help you do that. I was surprised that the code worked for the stock and that they had one in stock. I’ve found that overall opticsplanet has better prices on a lot of things the other well known shooting stores carry, but their inventories are usually much lower. They’ll list a price but rarely have the item in stock.

Putting me on back order is like hitting Superman over the head with kryptonite. I get really sick and just want to die! :)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
30-06. I originally bought the rifle solely for the action. My intent was to turn it into an old school 30-06 long range target rifle, but then a .338RUM fell into my lap. The ‘06 is now going to be strictly a hunting rifle.

Top Bottom