What's new

Calling all VINTAGE SIMPSONS - Hear Ye Hear Ye

Legion

Staff member
What is it?!?!

No idea. I sent the picture to Vulfix/Simpsons a while ago, and whoever responded to my email was not sure. They did send me some new decals, though, so that was nice of them. The one in the old brochure is a pretty close match, so I'm gonna date mine to the 30's. The top and bottom seem to be catalin, and the middle looks like translucent Bakelite. It looks like dark amber in real life. Really nice. Says Best badger on one side of the handle, and Yorkminster on the other.

I don't think it has ever been used. The only wear is to the decal, I guess from just being in a draw for 80 years...

Does anybody have a contact email for Garry Young? He is the only person I can think of who might be able to identify it.

Last edited:
Simpson 101 Pure Badger.

Attachments

• $101 pure.jpg
    $101 pure.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 937
Simpson AS2M Restoration TGN 20 mm finest two band ,knot set in 47mm.

Attachments

• $AS2M.jpg
    $AS2M.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 803
Here's another one ...

On one said it says "AS3 Best Badger" and on the other side it says "Made expressly for Abraham & Straus." The remnants of "Simpson" is visible just below the "AS3."

~23mm diameter knot, ~57.5mm tall handle, ~36mm diameter handle, 68 grams in weight.

$IMG_4398.jpg

Close up of one side:
$IMG_4399.jpg

Close up of other side:
$IMG_4400.jpg

For comparison, L-R: Case, Berkeley AS3, Colonel
$IMG_4402.jpg

For comparison, L-R: Wee Scot, BB3, Berkeley AS2M, AS3
$IMG_4403.jpg

Thanks to all those that submitted. I stumbled across this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Keep them coming!!

Here's a Simpson W3 to add to the list. It looks a little different than the W3L that appeared earlier in the thread (post #46).

Approximate measurements:
Handle height: ~48mm
Knot diameter (where bristles enter the handle): ~19mm
Diameter of base of handle: ~35mm

Side shot:
$IMG_4448.jpg

Close up of imprint:
$IMG_4449.jpg

Comparison shot (L-R): Case, Berkeley, W3, Colonel
$IMG_4451.jpg

Comparison Shot (L-R): Wee Scot, Berkeley, BB3, W3, AS2M, AS3
$IMG_4452.jpg

Here is what appears to be a Simpson Case, but it doesn't say "Case" on it. There have been a couple Cases that have shown up already in this thread (posts 21, 22, 33) and this one appears closest to the second one in post 33. It is a tiny bit smaller than the current production Case, but the shape and styling are very close.

It isn't in the best shape as it has some surface cracking, but I just could past it up.

The approximate measurements are as follows:
-Handle height: ~41mm
-Base diameter: ~30mm
-Knot diameter at opening: ~18mm.

And some pictures ...

Side profile:
$IMG_4510.jpg

Comparison (L-R): Current Case, vintage "Case"?"
$IMG_4512.jpg

Comparison (L-R): vintage case (?); Current Case, Berkeley, Harvard 2, PJ1
$IMG_4513.jpg

Comparison (L-R): Wee Scot; vintage Case (?); BB3; W3; AS2M; AS3
$IMG_4514.jpg

I suspect this beauty is a simpson,but I really wish they would start making those beautiful butterscotch handles again,they really have a lot of eye appeal..

Attachments

• $hhh.jpg
    $hhh.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 669
  • $hhhh.jpg
    $hhhh.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 662
  • $hhhhhh.jpg
    $hhhhhh.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 657
Hiya,

I believe this is a rebranded Simpsons, which has been in my rotation for over two years now. Found this what looked to be NIB brush at an estate sale. Originally sold by Marshall Fields stores located in Chicago. Very nice brush that just doesn't drop any hairs, even after hundreds of shaves.

Hope you enjoy the pics,
Martin

Attachments

• $marshall fieds 003.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 638
  • $mf in black003 (Small).jpg
    $mf in black003 (Small).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 649
  • $marshall fields 2.jpg
    $marshall fields 2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
I suspect this beauty is a simpson,but I really wish they would start making those beautiful butterscotch handles again,they really have a lot of eye appeal..

I have a BB.22 and been told it was made by Rooney for Brook Bros. looks identical to yours.

Simpsons did make brushes for BB though.

Top Bottom