What's new

Calling all New SC users; which variation do you have?

Just received a New SC with a different base plate and cap than my other one. The SC baseplate with deeper recesses (for the squared-corner top cap) shaves at a noticeably shallower angle than the other. Initially I assumed it was the square-corner top cap changing the blade angle, but after mixing the square-tabbed cap one with the thicker base plate, I confirmed that it was indeed the base plate affecting the blade angle.

New SC.jpeg

Before realizing this, I shaved with the deep-recessed base plate and the square-tabbed top cap today. Was very surprised when several areas that normally were left BBS with the other base plate were seemingly left untouched by the blade! Other than that, the areas that I did manage to shave seemed pretty identical. Tomorrow I will shave with a steeper angle and see if I can notice any more differences.

If you've used both, which do you prefer? What angle do you shave at and with which variation?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've got both, pretty much the same. Maybe the gold one is smoother, I'm not sure nor am I in love with either. They're both later (reissue numbers, post 1932-33).

full

Personally, I much prefer a favorite long comb head of mine that I use a lot on a Tech handle.

full

Just received a New SC with a different base plate and cap than my other one. The SC baseplate with deeper recesses (for the squared-corner top cap) shaves at a noticeably shallower angle than the other. Initially I assumed it was the square-corner top cap changing the blade angle, but after mixing the square-tabbed cap one with the thicker base plate, I confirmed that it was indeed the base plate affecting the blade angle.

View attachment 1649186

Before realizing this, I shaved with the deep-recessed base plate and the square-tabbed top cap today. Was very surprised when several areas that normally were left BBS with the other base plate were seemingly left untouched by the blade! Other than that, the areas that I did manage to shave seemed pretty identical. Tomorrow I will shave with a steeper angle and see if I can notice any more differences.

If you've used both, which do you prefer? What angle do you shave at and with which variation?
Mine is like the one on the left. But from what I see yours has a bit of positive exposure. Mine has negative exposure and I can't get a BBS.
Like @nemo I much prefer 2 of the 3 NEW long combs I have. Brilliant shaves!

Mine is like the one on the left. But from what I see yours has a bit of positive exposure. Mine has negative exposure and I can't get a BBS.
Like @nemo I much prefer 2 of the 3 NEW long combs I have. Brilliant shaves!
I highly recommend you try the base plate/top cap on the right! I have not tried the LC, but I have owned one and I compared the blade angle/exposure. They seem very similar, except the SC has drastically improved blade rigidity (tested by using a pen and pushing down on the blade) which, for me, has made a huge difference in minimizing potential irritation when shaving ATG on my neck.

I recently figured out after getting nicks using a shallow angle that a steeper angle is the optimal angle for these vintage Gillettes. Have you found the same? For me, the issues I was having came from not engaging the comb at all, resulting in the skin in front of the blade not being stretched at all. They always say “as shallow as possible” but forget to tell you what the comb is there for!

I highly recommend you try the base plate/top cap on the right! I have not tried the LC, but I have owned one and I compared the blade angle/exposure. They seem very similar, except the SC has drastically improved blade rigidity (tested by using a pen and pushing down on the blade) which, for me, has made a huge difference in minimizing potential irritation when shaving ATG on my neck.

I recently figured out after getting nicks using a shallow angle that a steeper angle is the optimal angle for these vintage Gillettes. Have you found the same? For me, the issues I was having came from not engaging the comb at all, resulting in the skin in front of the blade not being stretched at all. They always say “as shallow as possible” but forget to tell you what the comb is there for!
I am in the opposite camp. I much prefer razors with less clamping and a chattery blade. Get less nicks and irritation with them. Hence the preference for the NEW LC.
Certainly, those NEWs are better used with steep angle.

I think I have the one on the right.

But to be more precise,
the one I have shaves less closely than any of my other Gillettes.

Top Bottom