What's new

Cake build up

So I have been at this a few months now, and I haven't noticed any of my pipes developing a cake build up. Is this something that takes years to achieve, or am I doing something wrong?

I am assuming it takes a while to build, and will build depending on how often a pipe is used, but i was just curious if it was me or if its just a natural process that takes time. Thanks!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
So I have been at this a few months now, and I haven't noticed any of my pipes developing a cake build up. Is this something that takes years to achieve, or am I doing something wrong?

I am assuming it takes a while to build, and will build depending on how often a pipe is used, but i was just curious if it was me or if its just a natural process that takes time. Thanks!

‘Baking’ or ‘making’ a cake, on a briar, if done right, generally takes at least a few dozen smokes. Sometimes, as many as 50 bowls might be needed. It’s a process, and not one to be rushed. A cooler burning tobacco is usually preferred for that purpose. So you’re correct.

What happens with enthusiasts is sometimes they acquire so many pipes, cake making gets problematic. For the gentleman with 40 or 50 (or more) pipes, unless he is a voracious smoker, making a cake on all of them could take years.

The other thing, more with novice pipers, is too aggressively cleaning the chamber. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I use my spoon as an ongoing pipe knife, to keep a cake under control. But a novice too aggressively spooning out their pipe sometimes drags out the burgeoning cake that is trying to form.

So unless you have one of those situations going on, just give it time, and a few dozen smokes. The cake will come. Don’t rush it along, avoid hot-burning fills, and try to run some half bowls early on if you find an uneven cake forming. (usually higher in the chamber).

Happy puffs!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In my opinion, cake just happens. Moreso with some tobaccos than others. I don't try for it, and the most noticeable difference I've found about a pipe having cake, is that it holds less tobacco :001_tongu Every so often, I'll dig in with the spoon on the pipe tool, or even take a pocket knife to it. My most used object as a pipe tool is a woodscrew, which also makes for a decent rasp for shifting stubborn stuff. I don't remove it completely, just de-coke it to get the capacity back. In my experience, my cobs and aromatic pipes seem to cake up the most.

Please note, I'm not precious about my pipes, and my comments above may have pipe collectors seriously cringing or even screaming at their screens :biggrin1: I take no responsibility for coffee soiled keyboards, or smashed screens resulting from this post 🤣

My experience with tons of pipes is that it's a combo of the type of tobacco you smoke, the pipes personality and how often to smoke the pipe. I've mentioned here before that I have a Radice (nicest pipe I own), I've had it for 16 years now, that pipe will not build a cake.

One thing if you are wanting protection on the walls of the pipe (it's a personal preference only thing) an old timer tobacconist told me two great ways. First is to only smoke a half bowl for the first 10 or so bowls, then 3/4 for around 10 bowls then smoke full bowls. That works but it's tedious. The other option I've had great success with is heating up a little bit of honey and water to make it more pliable but still sticky. Use your finger or a pipe cleaner and coat the walls of the pipe. That will have a thin layer of ash build up on the walls (even with using a pipe cleaner to clean the pipe after use) and that seems to speed up the cake process. At least is most cases it did for me (minus one picky Radice).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My experience with tons of pipes is that it's a combo of the type of tobacco you smoke, the pipes personality and how often to smoke the pipe.

I think this makes a big difference. The pipes of mine that have caked, have typically been pipes I've smoked a few consecutive bowls in before it's been "rested". With most of my pipes, if I smoke a bowl of something, it doesn't get smoked again till it's aired out. In the meantime, if I want to keep smoking the same tobacco (which I only have one dedicated pipe for), I'd grab a cob or other sacrificial pipe I'm less concerned about. The pipes that get consecutive smokes without resting, generate more cake than pipes that smoke the same number of bowls, but are rested afte

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'm going to perhaps counter a point here.

I fold a pipe cleaner in half and clean the bowl after each smoke...sometimes multiple. If a particular blend leaves a lot of mess in the bowl (usually black Cavendish heavy and especially goopy blends) I'll actually wipe it out with wet paper towel. These practices slow cake formation, but also ensure that it is even and uniform. Some codgers would discourage a person from doing this during the break in process. Personally, I have had zero issues using this method and would recommend it.

As I said, others will disagree...to each their own.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm going to perhaps counter a point here.

I fold a pipe cleaner in half and clean the bowl after each smoke...sometimes multiple. If a particular blend leaves a lot of mess in the bowl (usually black Cavendish heavy and especially goopy blends) I'll actually wipe it out with wet paper towel. These practices slow cake formation, but also ensure that it is even and uniform. Some codgers would discourage a person from doing this during the break in process. Personally, I have had zero issues using this method and would recommend it.

As I said, others will disagree...to each their own.

You’re basically doing it right. A regular pipe cleaner or a strip of PT shouldn’t bother a cake. The former is the traditional way to swab out a wet chamber and sweep out those last dottle bits. And the latter (sans water) is great for wiping down a meer, where you don’t want much buildup of anything. As far as the H2O, I’m not sure it’s going to do much to lift the tars and resins. But I don’t think it will do any harm to a cob or briar.

It’s the ditchdiggers with the spoons and the brush cleaners that do their pipes no favors here. While they can merely impair a briar or cob, they can genuinely damage a meer.

As someone else may have mentioned, before factory chamber coatings became broadly fashionable, a common trick to assist in settling in a new pipe was to lightly swab them with a little honey. One major US pipemaker marketed the method as its brand name.

You’re basically doing it right. A regular pipe cleaner or a strip of PT shouldn’t bother a cake. The former is the traditional way to swab out a wet chamber and sweep out those last dottle bits. And the latter (sans water) is great for wiping down a meer, where you don’t want much buildup of anything. As far as the H2O, I’m not sure it’s going to do much to lift the tars and resins. But I don’t think it will do any harm to a cob or briar.

It’s the ditchdiggers with the spoons and the brush cleaners that do their pipes no favors here. While they can merely impair a briar or cob, they can genuinely damage a meer.

As someone else may have mentioned, before factory chamber coatings became broadly fashionable, a common trick to assist in settling in a new pipe was to lightly swab them with a little honey. One major US pipemaker marketed the method as its brand name.

See i think this may be my problem. I usually fold the pipe cleaner in half and dip it in whiskey and swab the bowl. Maybe i am breaking down the cake before it even has a chance to form

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
See i think this may be my problem. I usually fold the pipe cleaner in half and dip it in whiskey and swab the bowl. Maybe i am breaking down the cake before it even has a chance to form

No worries. Whiskey and other typical sweetener fluids shouldn’t harm a cake.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
It won't harm the cake in all likelihood, but it is overkill in my opinion if your doing it every bowl. I do an Everclear deep clean every 2-3 months depending on how often I smoke a particular pipe.

It won't harm the cake in all likelihood, but it is overkill in my opinion if your doing it every bowl. I do an Everclear deep clean every 2-3 months depending on how often I smoke a particular pipe.

Maybe i will back off on the swabbing then and just use a dry pipe cleaner. Is it still good to use liquor to clean the stem and shank after each smoke?

Maybe i will back off on the swabbing then and just use a dry pipe cleaner. Is it still good to use liquor to clean the stem and shank after each smoke?
Only if you think it taste funny on the next smoke and you don't.

I run a pipe cleaner through the stem, fold it in half and pipe out the chamber. Take a new pipe cleaner and out it in the stem to the bowl and leave it there until I load it up.

Once a year I go through and use some obsidian oil on the stems or a little magic eraser then obsidian oil if they need it.

But if the whiskey down the stem works for you, why change it?

Top Bottom