What's new

Any tips for post-shave removal of ‘crème/gunk’ build-up on the blade?

I’ve only been doing this type of shaving for ~4 months and after each shave I have just held the (very) loosened razor under a faucet stream until I remove all of the gunk from the blade (usually just the underside of the blade). I have been using proraso pre-shave and either shave cream or soap, and maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the build up is taking longer for the water to remove.

I’ve been avoiding completely taking the razor apart and holding the blade under the water to minimize slips/cuts, but are there any other tips to try rather than just waiting for the water to ultimately clear it off? I don’t think you’re supposed to get something to wipe off the blade with but I really have no idea.

Thanks!
Mike

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Running hot water. There may be a trace of mung remaining, but, it there is, it is very slight.

I change blades every three shaves, rotating my razor at every blade change. I disassemble, clean, and alcohol rinse the used razor at that time.

Yea I think you're doing it right. If you don't want to remove the blade, rinsing is the only real option you have. High temp and high water pressure help speed things along. The only other thought is that you could add more water to your shave soap so it's easier to rinse off. Don't add enough to ruin your lather, but a drier lather is going to cake up on you more and make rinsing harder.

It bugs me, so I usually take the razor apart. I use a very soft synthetic brush as an auxiliary tool when shaving. So, just a couple of swipes on the blade surface with the soft synthetic brush and rinse. Takes just a few seconds.

I have a sink full of hot water, and I swish the razor every couple strokes to get the soap and the fur bits out.
I do a last swish, and put it under hot water hitting the underside.
I hope you meant shave soap in your post. I've shaved with regular soap while camping, and it doesn't let go.

I'm sure there are all sorts of kooky things you could use to bring it back to cleaner than new condition after each shave: air compressor, ultra sonic cleaner, super suction vacuum.

I just rinse the entire razor head, with blade installed and let any gunk pile up until I replace the blade and shave away.

The only time I touch the blade is to throw it out or put a new one in.

I just randomly found a small plastic shirt collar stay and that looks like it’ll be perfect for wiping out any large amounts of goo that running water won’t take care of. I’ll definitely take the advice about making sure the shaving soap has ample amounts of water as well.

Mike

If the lather isn't rinsing off the razor easily, you might not have enough water in the lather. Mine rinses off with little to no effort every time. Otherwise, yeah...just rinse with hot water till its all gone. You shouldn't even have to loosen the razor. Maybe taking a small bowl to swish the razor head around in first before rinsing under the faucet might help.

It definitely sounds like my lather isn’t wet enough. I’ll give it a go with more water in the mix the next time I shaveZ

Thanks everyone.

My Blade
My blade is a GEM PTFE SS single edge. I have gotten comfortable touching the blade. I am careful.

Cleaning after my shave. Takes about 10-15 seconds total.
1. Run under water. Temp not a variable.
2. I use a small brush from my old trimmer and wipe down both sides
3. I use one spray of alcohol on each side of blade. I let sit until done applying Alum Block
4. I wipe down each side very carefully. I palm strop or strop on my towel.
5. Like new. Dries quickly.

I place in a small plastic container for safe keeping until next use.

I do take my razor apart. I clean with small drop of hand sanitizer. I then spray razor with alcohol. I let it sit and then wipe clean. I store it apart. I don’t reassemble until next shave.

OP, you did not state the type of razor you use. 3 pc. TTO. ? I understand TTO’s are safer and easier to handle blade. I think over time you will learn and become more comfortable and confident with safely handling a razor blade.

Sounds like you have two choices.
1. Keep the blade in the razor until time to change it out.
2. Come up with a similar routine like mine or a routine suggested by others.

Whatever routine you decide, you have to be comfortable with it. Handle blade the same way every time to prevent accidents.

Touching blades is part of shaving. Have some Alum and a band aid close by. Remember to apply pressure and elevate. We all learn from our experiences.

Don’t let this distract you from enjoying your shaves. Happy shaves.

I rinse the KCG razor, slightly opened, with very hot water from my teapot; then I put it in the brown pill bottle and swish the rubbing alcohol around. A quick way to clean it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I swish in a mug of water that's had a pinch of citric acid to it. That works far better than tap water for me, and has significantly reduced the build up from each shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If the lather isn't rinsing off the razor easily, you might not have enough water in the lather. Mine rinses off with little to no effort every time. Otherwise, yeah...just rinse with hot water till its all gone. You shouldn't even have to loosen the razor. Maybe taking a small bowl to swish the razor head around in first before rinsing under the faucet might help.
This was my first thought. People like everything from thin/wet lather to making Santa's beard, but you might want to experiment with a little more water in your lather. You might very well like the added slickness.

I have a sink full of hot water, and I swish the razor every couple strokes to get the soap and the fur bits out.
I do a last swish, and put it under hot water hitting the underside.
I do the same and no build up or gunk when I change the blade averaging around 6 uses each blade. I do not open or loosen razor until it's time to change.

Ok - I just tried it today with more water and that solved it. I noticed that the lather actually looked better too and went on easier from the second it started going on my face. Almost zero build up when rinsing between the various passes. It couldn’t have been more night and day from before.

This forum is fantastic. Thank you everyone!

Mike

It definitely sounds like my lather isn’t wet enough. I’ll give it a go with more water in the mix the next time I shaveZ

Thanks everyone.

If the lather falls off your razor, it’s probably too wet. Won’t rinse off easily with low pressure, too dry.

Straight users prefer a wetter lather prioritizing slickness over cushion from volume. As your technique improves/evolves, it is probably worth experimenting with to find your happy place

I’ve only been doing this type of shaving for ~4 months and after each shave I have just held the (very) loosened razor under a faucet stream until I remove all of the gunk from the blade (usually just the underside of the blade). I have been using proraso pre-shave and either shave cream or soap, and maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the build up is taking longer for the water to remove.

I’ve been avoiding completely taking the razor apart and holding the blade under the water to minimize slips/cuts, but are there any other tips to try rather than just waiting for the water to ultimately clear it off? I don’t think you’re supposed to get something to wipe off the blade with but I really have no idea.

Thanks!
Mike
I leave my blades in the razor until they are done. All I do is rinse in very hot water after each shave. This removes any residue from the business ends of my blades. While there is some build up on the blade inside the razor it does not effect shaving performance. My razors get a thorough cleaning with each blade change.

P.S. Think of all the shaving system cartridge users out there. This is really all they are able to do and it works for the life of the cartridge.

Top Bottom