What's new

Cake build up

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Maybe i will back off on the swabbing then and just use a dry pipe cleaner. Is it still good to use liquor to clean the stem and shank after each smoke?
I wouldn't use liquor on the pipe cleaner to clean the stem and shank after each smoke. One of the things you're trying to accomplish by passing a pipe cleaner down the stem and shank after each smoke is to absorb any moisture and dry it out. Running a wet pipe cleaner down the stem and shank defeats this purpose and is unnecessary. If you really feel like you need to swab it out with liquor, maybe do that at most weekly or monthly depending on how often you smoke, or just save it for when the pipe starts to taste bad, which will be a long time if you clean it well with dry pipe cleaners after each smoke and let it rest between smokes.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Maybe i will back off on the swabbing then and just use a dry pipe cleaner. Is it still good to use liquor to clean the stem and shank after each smoke?

It’s a strictly personal preference. Some keep their pipes like a bus station toilet, others like a surgical theater. Whatever keeps your pipes tasting comfortable and right to you is the standard. That may be guided by what you smoke in it, and how you smoke it.

The purpose of these things is to keep the pipe sweet, or to sweeten one that has gotten sour, by lifting out more stubborn tar and resin residues. Some pipers puff away happily through those deposits, lingering complimentary reminders of the pipe’s assigned blend. Others insist on a virgin pipe experience every time.

It’s up to you where you are between those two. As long as it doesn’t harm the pipe, there’s no right or wrong regimen.

It won’t hurt anything to swab it with booze every time. If you like how the pipe behaves on the next smoke, then who is anyone to care?

But past a point, there are other uses for all that booze ... 🙄

But past a point, there are other uses for all that booze ... 🙄

Funny you should mention that. Next week will mark a year that I have been dry. St Pattys day to be exact.

Long story short a relative who is only a few years older than me was starting to have liver issues, and although he did drink more than i did, I wasn't that far behind. It scared me enough that i quit. That and it was starting to affect my marriage.

I was able to find other hobbies to help deal with my stress, such as hand tool woodworking, blacksmithing, straight razor shaving, and now the occasional pipe. All these hobbies help me slow down and focus at the end of a busy day at the office.

I wouldn't use liquor on the pipe cleaner to clean the stem and shank after each smoke. One of the things you're trying to accomplish by passing a pipe cleaner down the stem and shank after each smoke is to absorb any moisture and dry it out. Running a wet pipe cleaner down the stem and shank defeats this purpose and is unnecessary. If you really feel like you need to swab it out with liquor, maybe do that at most weekly or monthly depending on how often you smoke, or just save it for when the pipe starts to taste bad, which will be a long time if you clean it well with dry pipe cleaners after each smoke and let it rest between smokes.

Thanks for the advice! I am going to try backing off the wet cleaning and see what that does. Someone suggested leaving a dry pipe cleaner in until the next smoke and i may try that too!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Thanks for the advice! I am going to try backing off the wet cleaning and see what that does. Someone suggested leaving a dry pipe cleaner in until the next smoke and i may try that too!
All good things to try and see how they fit into your routine.

Top Bottom