What's new

C&E Sandlewood and New Razor

Hi All,

I tried C&E Sandlewood shave soap today and I used a new razor with it. I have some questions for the group after I give you the 411 on my routine.
1. put a little hot water on soap in bowl
2. warm up towel
3. wash face and put warm towel on face for about a minute
4. load brush w/soap and begin wiping lather in a separate bowl
5. put more warm water on face
6. put lather on face
7. shave
8. repeat steps 6 and 7 a second time

Now, I used a "classicshaving.com" razor called "Deluxe Vintage Safety Razor." This razor is much heavier than the traditional Merkur Classic Safety Razor I normally use-- I just wanted to try an off brand.

Ok, so I did my routine, and my shave wasn't as close as with my Merkur. I can still see little hairs under my chin and nose. And, I got a little razor burn as well. My AOS sensitive skin unscented after shave balm burned a little, so did my T&H Grafton after shave balm.

Was this the soap or the razor?

Also, I looked at the blade area of both razors. The only real difference between the two was that on the classic shaving razor, the bar in front of the razor blade seemed a longer distance between the razor and the bar than on the Merkur. If that makes any since.

I don't really know the technical terms. I think I may have heard that bar called a "comb." Because I know both of these razors are "close combed" razors.

I personally cannot use this soap. The lather for me is not very slick.

But I haven't used that razor either, so it would be difficult for me to say.

Generally, a razor with a larger gap between the bar and the blade will have a tendency to shave closer. However, if a little too much pressure is applied while shaving, you will remove a microscopic layer of skin, exposing the nerves beneath. :eek: Also, remember that sometimes different blades perform differently in different razors. I've never tried that particular soap.

-Clarke

I personally cannot use this soap. The lather for me is not very slick.

But I haven't used that razor either, so it would be difficult for me to say.

You know, I've shaved with Col Conk, and it seems a little slicker than the C&E. I'm a little more of a cream man than a soap man. I have some Almond TOBS that is very fluffy and slick. But, in my short experience, it seems that creams give a little more cushion. Maybe I should try this new razor with a cream tomorrow?

Or, maybe I just have a sensitive face and should stick to my Merkur.

Top Bottom