What's new

Buying Vintage Razors.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A $9 USD razor somehow ends up being $50 CAD. I've let so many razors pass by because of this, and it just kills me.

I recently sent a razor (5.4oz box) to British Columbia for $9.50 USD First Class International. Work with the seller, $24.95 is the Priority price.

I recently sent a razor (5.4oz box) to British Columbia for $9.50 USD First Class International. Work with the seller, $24.95 is the Priority price.
Good idea. I never considered that. Just shot a few messages to sellers of items in my watch-list who's items I would buy if not for the exorbitant shipping costs. We'll see how it works out.

Just shot a few messages to sellers of items in my watch-list who's items I would buy if not for the exorbitant shipping costs.
I do this for every razor that is listed at more than US$9.50 to Canada. I'd day half the Sellers are reasonable and happy to comply.

BTW I tried using the word "exorbitant" and one seller went postal and reported my to eBay for harassment. What a tool.

I did something similar. Went into a shop that I frequent and after finding nothing I asked the owner about vintage safety razors.He told me he had one he had put up for someone and wasn't sure if they ever came back to get it. After digging around he pulled out a box with a new old stock 1956 super speed still in the original box with original blades and instructions still sealed in plastic. He said I could have it for $8.

Great! I am (vicariously) happy with that story!!!

Got my first response:

"International I only ship thru the eBay global shipping program."

... That's a shame. BIN price of $13. Shipping is $22.

I've found a few locally--it is much harder but much more exciting when you find something. My favorite finds were an Old Spice mug and a couple of really nice Gillette's. Although, for every story I read on hear about someone find a steal for $10 or less, I've seen some in antique shops that were way over priced (i.e. rusty, chipped straight razors that are beyond repair listed at $80 or bent Schick Injectors for $30...)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Got my first response:

"International I only ship thru the eBay global shipping program."

... That's a shame. BIN price of $13. Shipping is $22.

Thats whats happened to me as well. I have had a few sellers offer a better rate, but for the most part, in my own experience, most tend to stay within the eBay shipping guidelines.

It can make for a longer wait, but you can find deals. Oddly, usually Buy It Now prices, low enough to offset the shipping cost.

I should have this razor in the mail this week.

Vintage Gillette Safety Razor | eBay

Deals can be found, just be patient, and dont hesitate when you find what you like. Someone else WILL buy it!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
"International I only ship thru the eBay global shipping program."... That's a shame ... Shipping is $22.

In a couple of weeks you will be able to post a WTB in the Buy-Sell-Trade.
B&B members will be more forgiving. :badger:

Bought these for myself:
2 Vintage 1950's Gillette Razors Brass | eBay (1950's ehhhhh? Looks like an old and some kind of new to me. Anybody know exactly what I bought here? LOL)

...and this for my better half:
VINTAGE LADY GILLETTE BLUE STARBURST T-2 | eBay

Got no deals on shipping, but all things considered still not bad for "the bay" prices I guess.

Once I can post in the BST I'm going to start begging for OC Aristocrats, one US gold and a silver/rhodium brit. That'll leave one open spot on my razor rack for a Timeless, and then I'll hit the brakes hard on DE-RAD... and probably jump right into collecting straights. Hahaha. Going to have to space out the last few purchases so as not to anger the wife though. :wink:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Bought these for myself:
2 Vintage 1950's Gillette Razors Brass | eBay (1950's ehhhhh? Looks like an old and some kind of new to me. Anybody know exactly what I bought here? LOL)

...and this for my better half:
VINTAGE LADY GILLETTE BLUE STARBURST T-2 | eBay

Got no deals on shipping, but all things considered still not bad for "the bay" prices I guess.

Once I can post in the BST I'm going to start begging for OC Aristocrats, one US gold and a silver/rhodium brit. That'll leave one open spot on my razor rack for a Timeless, and then I'll hit the brakes hard on DE-RAD... and probably jump right into collecting straights. Hahaha. Going to have to space out the last few purchases so as not to anger the wife though. :wink:

This was my previous buy two weeks ago. Needless to say I dove on it as soon as I saw it!

LOT 3 safety razors Gillette all walking.....low price..see details-photos | eBay

I have yet to see a nice OLD type for a good price, but I havent been looking very hard lately. I need to slow down haha. If I had seen that pair though, I may have bought them. They look like an OLD type and a NEW LC. Both in seemingly very nice condition and should clean up really well.

The Lady Gillette is a very mild razor. I think of mine as a long handled TTO Tech. I rarely use it though. My NEW SC is the standout of the razors I do own so far.

This was my previous buy two weeks ago. Needless to say I dove on it as soon as I saw it!

LOT 3 safety razors Gillette all walking.....low price..see details-photos | eBay

I have yet to see a nice OLD type for a good price, but I havent been looking very hard lately. I need to slow down haha. If I had seen that pair though, I may have bought them. They look like an OLD type and a NEW LC. Both in seemingly very nice condition and should clean up really well.

The Lady Gillette is a very mild razor. I think of mine as a long handled TTO Tech. I rarely use it though. My NEW SC is the standout of the razors I do own so far.

That was a heck of a score you got there!

I figured the lady gillette would be nice for my wife. She started DE shaving with my tech but the handle was too short for her. Got her a Krona which she uses now that is hanging in the shower, but I thought she might like something with a bit more pizzazz to keep on the display rack. I only wish I could find a champagne one though, because I am positive she would prefer that to blue. I'm sure she'll appreciate the thought either way though, especially since she doesn't yet know the champagne one exists. Haha

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think there are three different colours, possibly four. Blue is by far the most common though. Just make sure the TTO knob is closed tightly! Yours is a T2, mines a T1.

Thanks, and as I said, the deals do pop up, just be ready to jump when you see them!

International I only ship thru the eBay global shipping program."
I love the eBay GSP. Twice the price and twice the wait time. It makes sense for high-ticket items where the seller needs protection, but not for something that costs less than the shipping itself.

I think there are three different colours, possibly four. Blue is by far the most common though. Just make sure the TTO knob is closed tightly! Yours is a T2, mines a T1.

Thanks, and as I said, the deals do pop up, just be ready to jump when you see them!
Blue, Champagne, and Pink, I believe. She generally isn't a fan of pink, but she likes gold and has shown interest in some of the gold plated razors I've looked at in the past, so one of the champagne ones would really have suited her best. Only saw one for sale recently and the condition was just too poor to even consider buying for her. I'm sure she'll appreciate the blue one for now though... and if I keep buying razors for her I feel less bad about buying more for myself!

I love the eBay GSP. Twice the price and twice the wait time. It makes sense for high-ticket items where the seller needs protection, but not for something that costs less than the shipping itself.
Yeah, the GSP is a deterrent more than anything. At the very least they should give you the option of choosing less expensive shipping methods, as opposed to USPS Priority for everything. Every razor I've bought off of ebay has cost more for shipping than the item itself, and it really grinds my gears.

Tell me about it!
While I understand using the eBay GSP for big/expansive purchases I see no reason to use it on a $20 - 30 razor. :thumbdown

I was surprised to pick up this pocket edition on Ebay for $20 with free shipping.
20170705_141849_resized.jpg
20170705_144643_resized.jpg
20170705_142019_resized.jpg
20170709_222655_resized.jpg

I was surprised to pick up this pocket edition on Ebay for $20 with free shipping.
Nice score. The Gillette Pocket Editions that look like plain ball-end Old Types often go unnoticed because there's a lot less demand for them.

The ornate bsolid-handled ABC versions always fetch the big bucks.

Top Bottom