What's new

Buying Vintage Razors.

Recently, I told myself I was no longer going to buy vintage razors online. Purchases are going to be limited to antique shops, yard sales, garage, sales, flea markets, etc. I really want to see the item in person, so to speak.

Plus, I think it'll be a bit more fun.:)

Thanks to the B&B, I now have a better idea of what to look for and understand the pricing, to boot!

It definitely will... if you are lucky. I am not....:001_unsur

I anxioulsy wait for the day I get into an antique shop, have a look, ask for razors, repeat the quesrion and explain it to the old lady behind the counter, 'oh, those old things... my father used them..', and find and immaculate 1903 Gillette made by King C. himself... for a fiver....

:lol1:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Yes, I feel better,too, if I see it in person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They're out there, you just have to be patient and keep looking. Over the last couple of years, I've found over 200 locally. Also, you have to ask, I went into a place once and asked the guy behind the counter, he pulled out a box that he just got, it had a Toggle marked $2. I also found a 1918 Bulldog for $10 and like new Barbasol for $6. Good luck, the hunt is a lot of fun.

There is hundreds of razor types you will never find locally. Never.
Why would you want to limit yourself to only SS, Fatboys, Slims...

Go online or go home!

Go online or go home!

I still do all of my purchasing online. But I look for sellers who have taken the time to photograph with at least a little bit of effort. I still can't understand why people post photos that look like they were taken at midnight with no nearby light sources. Or the folks still using a 0.3 megapixel camera from 1990. A $50 smartphone can take some acceptable pictures these days, so I don't know what people are thinking when they post one or two tiny blurry pictures and think people want to spend $75 on their Gillette Tech. /rant

However, if I did travel more or have access to more places to hunt offline, I would give it a go.

Antique stores and flea markets, estate sales still have treasures. Members have made some impressive scores. I believe the 2.00 Toggle, 5.00 red dot Fatboy, and 10.00 double ring would be welcomed by most.

Well, those are exceptions rather than rules. One of a hundreds of thousands wetshavers found a $2.00 Toggle.
Who cares?

I love hearing about the wild finds. I have not been so lucky though. If you are walking in a field and trip over a bucket of old coins, isn't that a better story to tell than outbidding everyone else for a bucket of old coins online?

They are most definitely out there, even if you don't find any in the shop, yard sale etc.. ALWAYS ask the vendors if they know where or who has any. I just found a vintage SS this way. It's much nicer finding them in the wild but I still do some shopping online but I set limits for used vintage razors and I really only collect Gillette. I don't like to pay above $25 for any razor but there are exceptions. The hunt is fun though and much more of a rush for sure. There's not much fun in winning an auction and having a postman hand you a box.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I find a lot of razors at the local flea market. True that most are run of the mill Techs, Super Speeds, Slims. But I have found a few beauties. Got a cased Aristocrat for $10. Found quite a few really nice NEWs. A few travel sets. A Ranger Tech. One time I got 5 GEMs in great shape for $5 total. So they are out there. And the hunt is most of the fun! Still waiting for that $2 Toggle though.

One thing I found out from talking to flea market operators: Many routinely throw out old razors over health issues. Even now that they have collector value, some are afraid of contamination from miniscule amounts of blood or tissue. If the gov ever gets involved they will regulate vintage razors out of the market as hazardous from possible contamination.

Many a razor I have bought had clear signs of dried blood on them. They all get a prolonged bath in Barbicide. ((( Be aware though that differing metals soaking in Barbicide and in contact can create an electrochemical reaction leading to corrosion and staining. Learned that the hard way. )))

But I look for sellers who have taken the time to photograph with at least a little bit of effort.
All that makes sense, except you're missing out on the BEST deals. I have scored a Streamline, Aristocrat #66, open-comb Damaskeene, Schick Type F, NEW RFB, and NEW Deluxe for less than 10% of the going rate because the pictures were so bad that nobody noticed what they were.

All great points, folks.

Yes, I can go up to Ebay very easily and bid on a razor. I've done that and have a few very nice vintage razors. Plus, I've learned about vintage safety razors simply by contacting the sellers.

Time to see what falls into my lap.:) It happened with a vintage Barbacide jar. I could easily have purchased one on Amazon. But the local antique store had one in wonderful shape and at a very good price.

I bought locally, saw the item firsthand, got what I wanted, and took it home the same day.

Sometimes, it's just fun to get out and look around. You never know what you may find.:)

When I come across a nice razor, I'l be sure to post. Might be a bit of wait, though.:) But, that's part of the fun.:)

Shopping locally certainly lets you examine an item better than photos can. I have bought three razors on line with damaged blade stops, two bought by accident. Two potentially repairable for utility grade razors but the design of the third makes repair impossible in my judgement. Personal examination could have made the problems obvious.

Top Bottom