What's new

Buying Vintage Razors.

Okay, full disclosure here.

I needed to pay a credit card bill and saw that I could allow for an extra 20 bucks in the payment. Ebay came back with a hit an a vintage Gillette travel razor and case that appears to be unused, in brand new condition. If not brand new, like-new.

Okay, bidding was at $9.99. One bid. No one else saw it. So, I punched in a bid for 20 bucks in the last minute and got it for $19.00.

So, yeah, I went back on my promise to myself. Apologies to all.

Here is what I won.:)

Vintage Gillette Travel Tech Razor - Blade - Case - Austria Leather 1965 Unused

Okay. NOW I limit myself to only local antique shops, yard sales, etc.:001_302:

Hoo boy. Am I embarrassed.:07:

This is why it isn't good to limit yourself. When great deals pop up, you just have to take advantage, regardless of the source.

All that makes sense, except you're missing out on the BEST deals. I have scored a Streamline, Aristocrat #66, open-comb Damaskeene, Schick Type F, NEW RFB, and NEW Deluxe for less than 10% of the going rate because the pictures were so bad that nobody noticed what they were.

I agree with that too. Though I will admit I'm no expert on razors either, and the older they get, the less I would recognize in bad pictures. Except for a couple of early SuperSpeeds and Techs, my collection is late 60's up through modern gear.

I'm the same way - so far. I bought a nice SS Flare Tip online once, good price and customer service, but I felt like I cheated, like I didn't put in the leg work. Now, that's not any kind of judgment against those who do like buying online. That's just me. I've only been collecting vintage Gillettes for about 9 months, so I'm still finding things in the wild that I don't already have. And, it's quality time spent with my wife, who loves collecting vintage Pyrex cookware.

I have had to branch out lately. I started only collecting Gillette DEs, but as it became harder to find things I didn't already have, then I started collecting GEM/ER/Star type SEs (still don't have any Stars), and then a few weeks ago, I bought my first Schick injector razor, along with 3 more this past week while on vacation. I'm now picking up any safety razor that I don't already have, regardless of type or manufacturer. But, I'm still only buying things in person.

A $2 Toggle would blow my mind! Late last year, I found one in an antique store for $45, and that was a steal. That's also the most I've spent on any one razor. That same day, I picked up a 1922 New Improved Tuckaway, and a '46/'47 Aristocrat for just under $14 each, and all 3 were virtually flawless.
IMG_20161124_210941463.jpg

Maybe after a couple more years, I'll branch out and start buying online. I'm still optimistic that I'll come across a Single Ring or Double Ring at some unbelievable price in an antique store, estate/yard sale, or flea market.

But to everyone here, whether you buy online or in person, I wish us all the best of luck in finding the perfect pieces to add to our collections!

I live in the NYC area and even if i could find some vintage razors they would be at "NYC Hipster" prices! So no thanks i'll stick to my online purchases from reputable sellers that post hi res pictures. I had that problem a few years back when i was looking for some vintage motorcycle leather jackets. I found some really crappy condition jackets in NYC thrift stores offered at hundreds of dollars. In the end i found a couple cool Vanson and Schott jackets from the 60s in great condition for half the price on Ebay.

This is why it isn't good to limit yourself. When great deals pop up, you just have to take advantage, regardless of the source.

Yes, I agree.:) Still, finding something at a local flea market/antique shop and paying cash for it is refreshing.

Okay, I'll do both. But I'll try to emphasize the antique store/yard sale/garage sale/flea market.:)

O.k. So you guys think you have it tough?

On this side of the pond (Europe) I am yet to find a single vintage razor in any antique shops, swapmeets or fairs... Keep asking but have lost faith that anything is outthere.

So all hail the existence of Ebay, even with all offered razors being in the US with added shipping costs and serious customs charges. I recently bought a NEW SC for 40 dollars, paid 22.50 in shipping and will now pay at least an extra 40 dollars in customs and fees. Seriously, no kidding. And I have paid similar dues for all the beautiful 12 vintage razors in my collection (except 1 which somehow escaped customs). So go figure ....;)

Last edited:
O.k. So you guys think you have it tough?

On this side of the pond (Europe) I am yet to find a single vintage razor in any antique shops, swapmeets or fairs... Keep asking but have lost faith that anything is outthere.

So all hail the existence of Ebay, even with all offered razors being in the US with added shipping costs and serious customs charges. I recently bought a NEW SC for 40 dollars, paid 22.50 in shipping and will now pay at least an extra 40 dollars in customs and fees. Seriously, no kidding. And I have paid similar dues for all the beautiful 12 vintage razors in my collection (except 1 which somehow escaped customs). So go figure ....;)

All depends on your shaving and collecting interests. I like a lot of the European SE wedge blade razors and find many offered from European sellers. I have bought things like Henckels Rapide and CV Heljestrand wedge blade safety razors from both sides of the Atlantic. Others in this category seem to be commoner from Europe.

I agree with both sides of this conversation, although I've never bought a razor on line, that doesn't mean I wouldn't, I just haven't. I've been very lucky but I've also spent a lot of time in antique shops and flea markets. Two or three times a month my wife and I load up a couple of the dogs and hit as many as we can. Most of them around here are dog friendly and they really enjoy the outing. I know I'll probably never find an Aristocrat made in England (which I would really like) but I've found just about every razor Gillette made in the US and most of them are in excellent to mint condition. Words can't describe the rush the that I got when I found a perfect Officers Military set, a Combo set with a like new Single ring, ABC set that looks like it's never been used, or the $2 Toggle. To be honest I think it's more about the feeling than the razor, well, I do enjoy the razors also. So whichever path you chose, or both for that matter, just have fun with it, life's too short.

Here's a picture that's about a year old of some of my findings.

2016-11-29 20.12.47.jpg

I really envy you guys who find amazing deals at flea markets, estate sales, and antique shops. The only prices I ever see just make me laugh. "Gem razor! Antique! $75." That sort of thing. Bad luck I guess.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Okay, full disclosure here.

I needed to pay a credit card bill and saw that I could allow for an extra 20 bucks in the payment. Ebay came back with a hit an a vintage Gillette travel razor and case that appears to be unused, in brand new condition. If not brand new, like-new.

Okay, bidding was at $9.99. One bid. No one else saw it. So, I punched in a bid for 20 bucks in the last minute and got it for $19.00.

So, yeah, I went back on my promise to myself. Apologies to all.

Hoo boy. Am I embarrassed.:07:

On that set you won. For me in Canada this is the killer and why it's so difficult finding good deals on Ebay: Shipping: US $24.95 (approx. C $33.13) The shipping to Canada just kills most buys.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One thing I found out from talking to flea market operators: Many routinely throw out old razors over health issues. Even now that they have collector value, some are afraid of contamination from miniscule amounts of blood or tissue. If the gov ever gets involved they will regulate vintage razors out of the market as hazardous from possible contamination.

Many a razor I have bought had clear signs of dried blood on them. They all get a prolonged bath in Barbicide. ((( Be aware though that differing metals soaking in Barbicide and in contact can create an electrochemical reaction leading to corrosion and staining. Learned that the hard way. )))

I went on a hunt all over town this past spring. Salvation Army, Goodwill, Value Village and even a few smaller independently run "Thrift Stores". The Salvation Army, Goodwill and Value Village stores all gave me the same answer: "If we get any in, we're not allowed to put them out for sale unless they are in 'cased, new and unused' condition because of liability issues over health concerns." The manager of the Goodwill store, the main store downtown here told me: "When we do get any razors like that in, they get tossed into a pail and shipped to the head office in Toronto to go for scrap because we're not allowed to put them out for sale due to health reasons."

One older guy that has run a Thrift Store here for over 20 years hasnt even had any come in. He said he's been watching for them but hasnt seen any and he could sell a dozen a day if he had them.

The largest flea market here has a lot of vendors every weekend and I had a pretty good look around there and talked to the few vendors that did have wet shaving supplies. Chinese versions were all I saw with the odd brush and tuck of blades and maybe a soap or two, and for the most part they just shook their heads and walked away. There has been no vintage gear, whatsoever, that I've seen at all in a retail setting in the city I'm in.

I am in Phoenix. Havent run across too much stuff in the antique store. I was lucky to find a Super speed for a good price. Other than that I find over priced crap or nothing.

Doesnt help when the guy from Razor Emporium and the goofy guy with the Captains hat live here as well LOL

The Salvation Army, Goodwill and Value Village stores all gave me the same answer: "If we get any in, we're not allowed to put them out for sale unless they are in 'cased, new and unused' condition because of liability issues over health concerns." The manager of the Goodwill store, the main store downtown here told me: "When we do get any razors like that in, they get tossed into a pail and shipped to the head office in Toronto to go for scrap because we're not allowed to put them out for sale due to health reasons."

That's just horrible! I hope they don't start doing that here in America. I haven't found anything in my local Goodwill store, but a lot of the GW stores across the country sell their vintage razors online at shopgoodwill dot com. It's a lot like the 'bay - you have to bid on what you want and hope you get it.

On that set you won

Thank you!:) There were a few similar offerings on Ebay. Because it was listed as being unused or nearly unused, I thought I'd take a chance.:)

I stopped by three local antique stores yesterday and came across a few vintage razors, but nothing really raced my motor. More stores out there.:)

I wonder if the good flea market (etc.) shopping for razors is regional. I live in Las Vegas where there isn't much of a flea market culture, so I almost never find anything interesting at even close to a reasonable price. Interesting that @Houdini5150 has the same experience in Phoenix. There weren't that many people in Phoenix or Las Vegas, relatively speaking, during the heyday of vintage razors.

I wonder if the good flea market (etc.) shopping for razors is regional. I live in Las Vegas where there isn't much of a flea market culture, so I almost never find anything interesting at even close to a reasonable price. Interesting that @Houdini5150 has the same experience in Phoenix. There weren't that many people in Phoenix or Las Vegas, relatively speaking, during the heyday of vintage razors.

I'm sure it is somewhat regional, I live in the middle the Ozark and they love there flea markets around here. I have at least 30 within 45 minuets from my house. As a mater of fact, I stopped by a few on the way home today and found some pretty nice razors. I'll post them later in the acquisition thread after I take some pics.

In late August, 1917, my grandfather's company captured a number of German prisoners. They were Wurttembergers. My granddad and his mates got talking to one of them who, before the war, had worked in Birmingham as a barber and spoke good English. After showing each other family photos and suchlike, my granddad swapped a tin of cigarettes, some boiled sweets, and a scarf for a German razor and a pocket knife. I have the razor to this day and it still keeps as keen an edge as it did in 1917, though I don't use it very often and mostly for special occasions. The POW, he later heard, was much in demand by British officers and NCOs because of his barbering skills.

It definitely will... if you are lucky. I am not....:001_unsur

I anxioulsy wait for the day I get into an antique shop, have a look, ask for razors, repeat the quesrion and explain it to the old lady behind the counter, 'oh, those old things... my father used them..', and find and immaculate 1903 Gillette made by King C. himself... for a fiver....

:lol1:
I did something similar. Went into a shop that I frequent and after finding nothing I asked the owner about vintage safety razors.He told me he had one he had put up for someone and wasn't sure if they ever came back to get it. After digging around he pulled out a box with a new old stock 1956 super speed still in the original box with original blades and instructions still sealed in plastic. He said I could have it for $8.

On that set you won. For me in Canada this is the killer and why it's so difficult finding good deals on Ebay: Shipping: US $24.95 (approx. C $33.13) The shipping to Canada just kills most buys.
This, 100%. A $9 USD razor somehow ends up being $50 CAD. I've let so many razors pass by because of this, and it just kills me.

Then there are the craigslist clowns trying to charge $200 for something worth maybe $10-20.

*sigh*

Top Bottom