What's new

Buying a Feather SS - should I get theJapanese style or the traditional stake razor ?

Hello Forum !

This is my first ever æost here, as I have never tried a straight razor in my life - and since I never will spend time on honing I KNOW that Feather SS will be my first venture into the world of straight razors.......

I've decided to start my venture by purchasing the new more forgiving designed SS version of the Feather - but now have to decide whether to get the black SS traditional razor or the black rubber handles Japanese style SS version ?

I can't test it, so have to blind buy and will use my favorite shop for this www.shaving.ie

The black SS Feather is €115 and the black Japanese SS style cost €130.

What to get ?

FYI the most aggressive razor I own is the Mühle R41 Grande, I started wetshaving in 1990, and started DE shaving in 2011 august last year.......

This really is going to come down to personal preference. I prefer the Japanese style and didn't find it difficult at all to master as far as hand position and technique.

To me, there are a few objective observations about the Japanese style that make it superior. The handle is made of rubber, which is grippy. The traditional version is plastic and kinda slick. It is also quite lightweight. I prefer the tiny bit of added heft of the Japanese style.

With a Japanese straight you also dont have the handle sticking up blocking your vision while you are shaving, like with a traditional straight. You get used to it with the traditional, but its an advantage of the Japanese style out of the box.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like the non-folding style as well. As you get more into them you can always get the DX folding with the Teakwood handles. :) Then you have one of each!

Thanks to all you shave heads for your answers - this helps me a lot and make my decision 'safer' :001_smile

I'll go for the black rubber handled Japanese style Feather SS then........
Just bought the Feather AS-1 DE with stand and R41 Grande DE with stand 1 months ago, and now regret I didn't go for the Feather SS right away, I knew it called my name anyways :w00t:

I have thick & course beard - the Feather AS DE do not remove more than 20% in 3 passes with proper pre shave routines down to the last detail (hot shower, pre shave Proraso, how water on stubbles)
The R41 Grande is very nice and I like it, but might as well use a Feather SS Japanese style razor for the ultimate in closeness of shave then......

I will buy 3 sets of blades for the Japanese style SS - 20 of the Pro guard blades, 20 of the Sensitive skin blades and 20 of the Professional blades. Will avoid the Super Professional blades until I get more comfortable and have better muscle memory with the new Feather SS.....

What do you think of that ?

BTW Do you all stretch your skin when you use the Feather Japanese SS razor ?
I see some prefer to stretch, others just use it like a DE without stretching the skin, other than maybe a bit on the jaw area.....

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would pass on the guards, tho they come with them. I would just get one pack of blades and use them. After a while they all feel the same. Although the Kai Milds are a different animal althogether, IMO.

Do they sell the Kai Mild Pink?

I have only tried the Feather blades. I need to get some Kai blades to compare. The Pro-Guard blades are fine - don't let the name fool you, though, they are just as sharp and can nick you if you don't do your part. The Guard blades are the Pro blade with a wire diffuser. You get 15 when you could get 20 for less money.

If you've used an R41 then the Feather should be in the same ball park but without all the fussy part about what blade to use.

You won't have much of a problem mowing down the beard with the Feather. If you are buying blades, then you might think about buying the Super Pro blades and substituting for one of the other models. Once you do a few shaves, the Super Pro blades aren't that big a deal from a scary sharp context - but they are a great blade and last a good while. They are sharp and have more edge exposed but if your beard is tough, they will do the job. I still shave almost the exact same way if I'm using the Guard or the Super Pro. If you can use the R41 and not get nicked - then the same care of consideration with the Feather will go a long way.

The Supers are also made of thicker metal and are therefore stiffer. Which you may prefer if you have a tough beard.

Attachments

• $Feather SS.jpg
    $Feather SS.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 130

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You guys need to PM Telly. He may only have a few, so better get a move on there pilgrim!

Top Bottom