What's new

Buy Used Shoes/Boots - Yes or No?

I draw the line for used clothing when it comes to shoes/boots, socks and underwear. just grosses me out thinking about someone else's stinky body parts having touched these items

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes:

proxy.php

No:

proxy.php

Never thought of buying used shoes until I went into a shoe repair shop and saw the selection of shoes for sale. It seems a lot of folks forget about their shoes. So after so many days/months the owner by law has the right to sell them. I cannot believe some of the bargains I've picked up from dress to casual shoes.

On the question of sanitation I've had no problems. Also if you have questions or concerns just put the shoes in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer overnight. That will kill most if not all of the nasties.

Absolutely yes I will and do when I can. We go to a lot of estate sales for my wife's business and when I see a closet of shoes that might fit me, I try them on. It's cheaper then cheap and they don't need them anymore.

In the distant past, I've picked up great bargains in used/returned hiking boots from REI, but last time I looked, they really jacked up the prices on them.

-jim

ive never done it but im not against the idea.
thing about buying used online is that you cant generally return them if they dont fit.
if they dont fit, you're out of luck. so make sure you have a good idea of what you're getting.

ive never done it but im not against the idea.
thing about buying used online is that you cant generally return them if they dont fit.
if they dont fit, you're out of luck. so make sure you have a good idea of what you're getting.

My method; go to AE store at the mall, try on the sizes that interest me, confirm fit and then search eBay for lightly used pair of shoes.

why not? would you buy used pants? do you know what people are capable of doing in pants? your feet would shudder at the thought!!

I draw the line at buying any used clothing. On the other hand I can see where people on a limited budget would do well to purchase gently used articles.

I recently picked up some Allen Edmonds Hillcrest for $60 off of ebay. The look almost new except the bottoms had a bit of wear. They hadn't been broken in for the other owner yet so they were definitely a steal.

I have bought plenty of gently worn high end shoes off eBay and I havent been disappointed yet. The key decision point for me is the condition of the soles and heels - as long as there is a photo showing minimal wear, I will bid. I would not purchase any that have been resoled or have had the heels replaced, as those shoes have too many miles for me to take a chance on.

I tend to stick with Allen Edmonds because I know that when the time comes the recrafting services will return to me a practically new pair of shoes - esp with the hot cork footbed being replaced. I figure that if I buy a gently worn pair of high quality shoes and I recraft within 2 - 3 yrs, I am still below the original $350 purchase price.

This is exactly how I feel. Coincidentally, as I type this I'm wearing a pair of AE walnut strands that I got slightly used off Ebay.

Never had luck with it, myself - though I have no qualms about selling them, as many people do seem to have success with purchasing used footwear.

I would stick with high end brands & would not buy if heels & soles were not original. I also would not buy any brands that I did not own because of size difference between mfg.

I would stick with high end brands & would not buy if heels & soles were not original.

This is especially important for Allen Edmonds as they will not recraft a pair of their shoes if others have worked on them. I personally have had good luck with used high quality shoes, but I only purchase them online if there are many pictures and a return policy and they are a high quality shoe.

I don't care to discuss the specifics of my personal finances, but I will say that I do not consider myself to have an overly limited clothing budget, and I have no qualms about buying a used Harris Tweed sport coat for $11 like I did today. No damage, no smell, in like-new condition. It doesn't bother me one whit that another man enjoyed it before me, or that his heirs did not want it when he passed on, it's still a hell of a nice coat for about 1/100th of the original price :)

- Randy

Legion

Staff member
I would, and have, but only when they were in new or near new condition. I don't want to buy too much boot sweat.

Absolutely yes I will and do when I can. We go to a lot of estate sales for my wife's business and when I see a closet of shoes that might fit me, I try them on. It's cheaper then cheap and they don't need them anymore.

In the distant past, I've picked up great bargains in used/returned hiking boots from REI, but last time I looked, they really jacked up the prices on them.

-jim
I don't buy used shoes anymore, after about 2500 paces I found myself getting judgemental of the previous owner.:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom