What's new

Pet peeve - shopping for Wide shoes

After a lifetime of foot pain, a few years a snowboard boot tech in Bear Valley CA of all places explained to me how my feet are actually shaped and why I was buying the completely wrong shoes basically my whole life.

Learning that I need not just a Wide, but a 3E width shoe (on the right, my left foot is noticeably smaller and narrower) has made a night and day difference. The problem now is that I'm almost completely shut out of buying shoes in person, the number of retail stores that carry anything but "average' width shoes is near zero - even including outdoors and sports stores. It's not much better online, most brands only make a single width and I often end up on the "I've got diabetes and don't care what my shoes look like as long as they have velcro straps" websites after a couple levels of googling. It's impossible on most websites to even specify width when doing searches.

And don't get me started on technical shoes... the number of clipless bike shoes or trail running shoes that come in non-standard widths is surprisingly low. I've got $1000 of Amazon orders in various stages of shipping to me right now, hoping that I'll get 1 pair that fits right and can return the other 8 or so.

First world problems, I know :)

I share your pain. I've been a 3E my whole life and don't even look online for shoes anymore since there is no "standard" 3 E size. I have to try on the shoes first and more than half the time they are too tight. New Balance was the only sneakers I' wore for about 20 yrs. They were a life saver before I discovered Skechers to have some options. I used to shop at Florsheim stores but they've closed all their retail stores in NYC. I now wear SAS shoes which are great. I am over 60 so the style isn't as important. A site you should check out is Hitchcock Shoes in MA which specializes in wide sizes. I've never bought from them but they have wide sizes that I never knew existed in popular brands.

If you are looking for wide, SPD, clipless, MTB type shoes, I use a previous generation of these for my 2E wide feet. Louis Garneau Gravel

Most comfortable cycling shoe I have used in 30+y of using clipless and I don't have to compensate length for fitment on width.

For for trail running or even trail walking shoes, Altra can't be beat. I trail run 5k about 4-5x a week with my dog using Superior 4.5 and have a pair of newer 5 waiting for spring. One of the widest shoes, out of the box, I have event seen.

For serious hiking, I use Oboz. Super wide and well built. These are my go to for camping, canoeing, fishing in river bank, spring/fall mud walks with the dog.

PXL_20230313_155554387.jpg

PXL_20230313_155932478.jpg

PXL_20230313_160357415.jpg

Last edited:
After a lifetime of foot pain, a few years a snowboard boot tech in Bear Valley CA of all places explained to me how my feet are actually shaped and why I was buying the completely wrong shoes basically my whole life.

Learning that I need not just a Wide, but a 3E width shoe (on the right, my left foot is noticeably smaller and narrower) has made a night and day difference. The problem now is that I'm almost completely shut out of buying shoes in person, the number of retail stores that carry anything but "average' width shoes is near zero - even including outdoors and sports stores. It's not much better online, most brands only make a single width and I often end up on the "I've got diabetes and don't care what my shoes look like as long as they have velcro straps" websites after a couple levels of googling. It's impossible on most websites to even specify width when doing searches.

And don't get me started on technical shoes... the number of clipless bike shoes or trail running shoes that come in non-standard widths is surprisingly low. I've got $1000 of Amazon orders in various stages of shipping to me right now, hoping that I'll get 1 pair that fits right and can return the other 8 or so.

Lake cycling offers a variety of widths. If you're looking for clipless shoes. They are excellent quality, and they have a variety of models.

Not really sure if you're looking for recommendations, but that jumped out at me when I read your post.

And look at barefoot styles. Keen tends toward wide shoes as well (never owned any).

Not sure how good any of them would be to fit a 3E, but they have wide toe boxes as a design feature

Eben Stone

Staff member
From my brief research, it seems people's foot and toe shape are based on their ancestry, and there are only 5-10 basic shapes (depending on which site you land on), but most shoe brands try to make a one shape fits all nonsense. I have "Roman" shaped feet, like Fred Flintstone.

I've had problems with my shoes feeling like they're smashing my toes, even with a full size up and 4E width. For many years I was buying whatever running/athletic shoes you can get at Big-5. Nike. Adidas. New Balance. Etc. All garbage.

Then I discovered Altra shoes. They are shaped like my feet and I get the normal size for my feet and normal width. They have many trail running styles to choose from.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For dress shoes I love Aldens. My favorite purveyor is Shoemart. Yes, they cost a mortgage payment, but they will last thirty years or more.

Same problem for me, when you find a wide shoe (for me 13 4E) that has a wide toe box, they stop making. About a year ago I found Keen Newport sandles/shoes, they have a wide toe box, no need for special width. I wear them everywhere, everyday, walking, around the house, business. Have 2 more pair in the closet as back ups.

Same problem for me, when you find a wide shoe (for me 13 4E) that has a wide toe box, they stop making. About a year ago I found Keen Newport sandles/shoes, they have a wide toe box, no need for special width. I wear them everywhere, everyday, walking, around the house, business. Have 2 more pair in the closet as back ups.
These Newports look too casual for me. Any other Keens models with wide toe box?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A friend of mine had the exact same problem: very wide feet (in his case also combined with a tall arch) and almost no possibility to find the right shoes. At the end he decided to have two pair of shoes entirely custom made by an expert shoes artisan from a top brand (not sure if it was Edward Green). Needless to say it was expensive. But, at least he ended up having two pair of shoes of the highest quality that fitted perfectly and comfortably.

I struggle as well, but have a unique foot shape: narrow heel and wide toe box. I can't offer any suggestions for biking shoes, but I'm really liking the Lem's and Altra's I've got.

I have worn Clarks shoes for years and wore out one style made in India 10-1/2 wide, which I loved. Instead of going to one of the stores I ordered from Macys online as only they had my exact replacement. The shoes arrived but now made in Bangladesh and more like a 10-1/2 regular.

I have worn Clarks shoes for years and wore out one style made in India 10-1/2 wide, which I loved. Instead of going to one of the stores I ordered from Macys online as only they had my exact replacement. The shoes arrived but now made in Bangladesh and more like a 10-1/2 regular.
That has happened to me several times over the years. I had a pair of Florsheim shoes (dress type) that I had worn for years. I bought same size and style and they were tighter and barely wearable. I've alse found New Balance sneakers snugger than in the past.

You might try these: All Men’s Shoes | Samuel Hubbard® - https://samuelhubbard.com/collections/mens-shoes-all?pf_opt_width=Extra+Wide

I buy the regular wide shoes (probably have 10 pairs). They have a great return policy, excellent customer service, etc. You can also download a template to trace your feet to check the size before you order.
Good luck.
I also own several Hubbard wide shoes. They are very nice and now offer resoling. See below link. Being able to get the Vibram soles replaced instead of breaking in new leather is a huge plus for me.

New balance 990s go up to extra wide. Allen Edmonds offers most styles in 3E as an option. Many English shoemakers offer a “G” width that is close to 3E US. Whites boots custom are based on an outline of your foot so as wide as needed. Much as I like Alden, the number of styles and availability in even regular E wide is so limited that I have only ever found one pair that fit well enough to justify the cost. Same applies to a few other high end brands.

Think needing extra anything in shoe size be it length, or width, your sol. Few brands caster to large sizes, or wide sizes. Thank goodness I am 11, or 11.5 Normal Width, I can get all kinds of good running shoes under & buck for two pair delivered.

Top Bottom