What's new

Butterscotch

There's some yellow in there on the working surface. You should enjoy that ark, it was my main ark for finishing razors for the last 9 years. Probably half the wedges I honed in that time went across it. It's a really really nice stone. I think it may be one of the solid color label use sperm oil pikes just missing said label going by the box. I just finally dealt with lapping the replacement and couldn't justify keeping it.

There's some yellow in there on the working surface. You should enjoy that ark, it was my main ark for finishing razors for the last 9 years. Probably half the wedges I honed in that time went across it. It's a really really nice stone. I think it may be one of the solid color label use sperm oil pikes just missing said label going by the box. I just finally dealt with lapping the replacement and couldn't justify keeping it.
Thanks for selling it to me Sir! I am quite excited, and am looking forward to it!

You must have acquired some replacement to let this one go! I hope that you have a great week, and thanks again!

Vr

Matt

Thanks for selling it to me Sir! I am quite excited, and am looking forward to it!

You must have acquired some replacement to let this one go! I hope that you have a great week, and thanks again!

Vr

Matt

One of those cloudy gray ones like you get in the reversible sets a lot of the time. Some of the best material they ever put out. (yeah, I stalled a long time to set it up...)

One of those cloudy gray ones like you get in the reversible sets a lot of the time. Some of the best material they ever put out. (yeah, I stalled a long time to set it up...)
Congrats on that one! I have a buddy that has one in the reversible set, and he swears it will never leave…though his is a little darker…almost blue-black-translucent! He loves it!

I have one of those on the giant norton combo I have.

Congrats on that one! I have a buddy that has one in the reversible set, and he swears it will never leave…though his is a little darker…almost blue-black-translucent! He loves it!
I've got a 4.5 x 5.5 landing pad from Dan's that is that cloudy grey color. It seems faster than the more white ones I've got. It'll kick swarf quick but it's every bit as fine as my Nortons.

I’ve personally got two butterbars, with one of the two being truly incredible. The first in the photos is a 6x2x1 (suspected old Norton). Very beautiful.

And the show stopper, the most impressive translucent butterscotch I’ve ever seen… anywhere. 8x2x1 Pike that can appear as translucent (white), butterscotch, or black-black/butterscotch depending on lighting and orientation. The bottom base is a layer of pure gold looking stone(I’ll update with a pic of bottom later). It’s such a beautiful stone I sometimes just pull it out to look at it and stuff, lol. Oh, and it’s in the original labeled wooden Pike box that is near mint. A unicorn.

(The last photo should be grouped with the first two as it’s same stone. Please ignore the surgical black twin in the other photos.)
DF500BCB-BD44-4F3C-8E26-C36E0201B6B8.jpeg
64EF7CAB-379E-4348-A8CB-DCD960ECACDD.jpeg
2B3483B9-3EFF-451A-BBF4-80A2F870CC30.jpeg
E4BCEE23-5026-4DC1-9E45-DE4DEE6491FC.jpeg
02C0D586-7075-4432-AECC-03684CAD1D55.jpeg
CE1BC1F2-3CA3-42B6-906D-E6B196D31613.jpeg
7305DE44-3313-48E5-8366-C64247FD414E.jpeg

duke762

Rose to the occasion
A lot of the time, my withered, color blind eyes don't even pick up the Scotchiness of a stone unless the lights just right and a very pronounced color. This is even worse when I have the stone in hand......Well it looked Scotchy when I bought it......

Here's one that arrived today, once again thanks to @rideon66 who flagged it to me on UK ebay. Really lovely old 6x2" that was being sold as a Washita, still glued into its Pike/Norton box.

Very happy about this, as I've only had one 'butterscotch' translucent before, and that was a little 5x1" that I sold cos someone I like on KKF wanted it.

IMG-8651.jpg

IMG-8661.jpg

Nice.

Don’t do anything to, just try a razor on it first, likely if it was as well used and cared for as it appears, it may have a nice burnished finish already.

Ah, I did have to clean it up a bit and flatten slightly before taking those pics. Not much thankfully, so it didn't take long at all, but it wasn't quite flat enough for good razor use I didn't think. Then finished the surface to 600 WnD, which is what those pictures show.

Looking forward to giving it a go in a bit. The 600 finish does certainly feel really quite fine and smooth to the touch, it may be that I prefer it slightly lower. Vamos a ver...

Ah, I did have to clean it up a bit and flatten slightly before taking those pics. Not much thankfully, so it didn't take long at all, but it wasn't quite flat enough for good razor use I didn't think. Then finished the surface to 600 WnD, which is what those pictures show.

Looking forward to giving it a go in a bit. The 600 finish does certainly feel really quite fine and smooth to the touch, it may be that I prefer it slightly lower. Vamos a ver...
I think 400-600# finish is just about perfect for a hard ark. They'll still finish really fine but are a little faster.

I almost forgot, I’m not very knowledgeable on dating stuff based off labels or whatever, so I was wondering if anybody might be able to do this based off of the box and label? I am almost positive. It’s the original, at least that’s what the person who sold it to me said. I am the third owner of this, the person I got it from, bought it from one of the children of the original owner after he passed away.
D1DEEADE-083B-42BA-8B23-8D32696CD405.jpeg

They were using that style in the 30s and 40s then I think they switched to the bear branded wood box with the small norton logo and then eventually they went to that very industrial blue and silver triangle paper box, then the orange white paper box, then what we have now. I may be missing some.

I almost forgot, I’m not very knowledgeable on dating stuff based off labels or whatever, so I was wondering if anybody might be able to do this based off of the box and label? I am almost positive. It’s the original, at least that’s what the person who sold it to me said. I am the third owner of this, the person I got it from, bought it from one of the children of the original owner after he passed away. View attachment 1671270
I really like the green labeled ones I've got.

Top Bottom