What's new

Butterscotch

Over the years, I've heard reference to the butterscotch translucent Arkansas being a respected item. Anyone have one who can post a shot here? I'd appreciate it.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Good Lord I want one. Sorry, no pics. As far as I know butterscotch's are hard Arkies that some how react to light and yellow with age.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Alan I'm out of town, but when I get back on Sunday I'll post some pics of mine.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Here is an appetizer until David can pull one of the stones out of his incredible collection. This was a flea market find a few years ago and I was lucky to get it. The stone has several things going for it. It came in a tramp art style wooden case, it's dated inside September 1897 and it is a incredible stone. It measures 7 x 2 inches. The stone took several days of lapping to get out the dish, but I was rewarded with a great finisher. It is smooth as glass and as hard as a diamond. The last two Picts are reflections.

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

Here is my butterscotch, pictured on top of my large black Arkie. I found it at a flea market for $5. It has a small chip on one corner, but it is of no consequence when using the stone. Probably my best finisher, but I doubt that there will be any difference between it and a black Arkie after some age and use.

BlackTransArk.JPG

David

Here is an appetizer until David can pull one of the stones out of his incredible collection. This was a flea market find a few years ago and I was lucky to get it. The stone has several things going for it. It came in a tramp art style wooden case, it's dated inside September 1897 and it is a incredible stone. It measures 7 x 2 inches. The stone took several days of lapping to get out the dish, but I was rewarded with a great finisher. It is smooth as glass and as hard as a diamond. The last two Picts are reflections.

View attachment 783633

View attachment 783632

View attachment 783631

View attachment 783630

View attachment 783629
That is one of the prettiest Translucent Arks I've ever seen, Tim. The box and date make it that much cooler.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
That is one of the prettiest Translucent Arks I've ever seen, Tim. The box and date make it that much cooler.

Thanks for the kind words. What is prettier than the stone are the edges that it puts out after a few hundred laps.

Thanks guys, for the appetizers, which were delicious while waiting for David to serve up the entree.

Tim, I'm wondering about those inclusions. Do they affect honing in any way?

Regards,

Alan

P.S., I have a couple I think may be butterscotch. I can post pix of them when I have more time on Sunday.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks guys, for the appetizers, which were delicious while waiting for David to serve up the entree.
Tim, I'm wondering about those inclusions. Do they affect honing in any way?
Regards,
Alan
P.S., I have a couple I think may be butterscotch. I can post pix of them when I have more time on Sunday.

They can be seen but not felt. The inclusions are not toxic and have no effect on the steel.

I like stones that size, but it looks like a typical whitish translucent to me (as does Beadog's now that I look at it again). My understanding is that butterscotch translucents should be yellow-brown, or butterscotch colored. Not that I have a Callard & Bowsers handy as a reference...

David

IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
Here's mine. The pics are not great, but it's the best I can do at the moment. First pic is the butterscotch stone next to my coveted Norton Hard Arkansas.
Next is the butterscotch stone with your typical Pike hard ark on top for color reference. Then a side view.

David

IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
And here's the big 10x3 vintage trans with the stamps on the ends. For the most part it's your typical translucent Arkansas, but one side shows a strong brown color.

Those stones look awesome. They look like candy so I think I'll pass on buying one though. No point in making myself hungry every time that I hone a razor. :001_cool:

That indeed is the entree, David! Thanks for posting the pix, which are quite good. Given time tomorrow, I'll try to post one or two pix of the two translucents I have that may be butterscotch, next to a Norton hard Ark and a more recent production piece by way of comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom