What's new

Butane Lighter tricks?

I just recently got this lighter. It's a Jetline Lacardo butane lighter with soft flame and built in pipe tools. It's a really solid little lighter and I love having the tamper built in with the lighter (no more fumbling between a bic lighter & tool).

$lighters_-_jet_line_-_lacardo_pipe_soft_flame_black_4-11.jpg

That said, I am still figuring out what I am doing when it comes to filling the lighter. I am basically holding the lighter upside down and inserting the butane can and holding it for 5 - 10 seconds. It's usually frosty at that point and I usually stop there. The fill only lasts about a day of smoking, maybe half way into the second day and it runs out. I don't know if this is a normal time between refills or not...

Am I filling it enough? Should I hold it into place longer than 5-10 seconds when filling? Or maybe fill some more after a few minutes when everything has thawed out? And what about shaking the can... I have seen that you should shake the butane and not to bother shaking it... I don't know if that's a factor. Any tips or tricks anyone has would be great. Thanks in advance! :001_cool:

Oh one other quick question, it has an electric ignition on it for the sparks, so no flint to replace. So does this mean it has a battery somewhere in it? Or is there some mechanism in the trigger that generates the electricity for the spark? Just curious if I will need to be picking up some obscure watch battery at some point...

Thanks!

Some lighters have some small differences in the fill system my butane came with orings to help compensate for the small differences

It may also be possible the lighter leaks... but my butane lighter does take a good 20 to 30 seconds to fill and its clear so you can see it filling

I've never actually had to fill more than 10 secs...usually around a 5-6 count and im done. Be sure that the lighter is completely empty before you refill. Like empty it out to a point where there is no sound then empty some more. Also have the flame setting on the lowest setting when refilling.

Make sure you're using the proper size nozzle on your butane can, if its not getting a solid fit into the lighter, it won't fill properly. I would always keep filling until the gas would fizz back out, and then stop immediately. Sometimes it took 5 seconds, sometimes it took 30 seconds, but you'll know that its full by the sound it makes and you can feel it getting your hand icy cold.

A guy that worked in a tobacco shop taught me that you can supercharge a butane lighter by putting the lighter and gas in the refrigerator for about 15l minutes before you fill it. Let the lighter come back up to room temperature before you light it the first time, and you can leave the butane refill in the fridge until the next time you need it.

It may be that keeping it in your pocket is making it too warm to work properly. Try leaving it in a drawer or carrying it in your coat pocket until you're ready to use it. Anywhere is fine as long as its not in contact with body heat.

Try a different brand of butane. I found that Dunhill gave the best results, but I don't think you can get that anymore. Colibri is also a good brand. (Colibri makes great accessories like flints and butane, but lousy lighters.)

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Befor each refill use a pen or the poked on a pipe tool to press in on the valve you fill the lither with. Do this until the air and gas no longer comes out.

Make sure you have quality fuel, Xikar has a good brand of fuel and the big can will last about 6 months for the average cigar smoker. Once a week, bleed it out. Slightly press the nozzle down and let all of air/gas out. Your fill time of 6 to 10 seconds is about correct. Its a gas so it only takes a few seconds to fill up.

Good advice above but if you can remove the outer casing next time and watch the fill process, that way you can see whats going on. Should just be a screw on the base. My colibri's take a little while and few tries to fill but my Xikar is good in a few seconds.

Top Bottom