What's new

Bullet tip won't open

Hello,

I received a bullet tip micromatic that will not open. The handle knob turns in both directions, but the door on the head will not open. I can feel vibration through the head. The knob also can pull out about 1/4 inch from the hand and freely turn with no resistance.

I have never had a micromatic, and this was given to me unasked for, from someone who thought I'd be interested. I have tried some searching both on the web and this forum, but have not turned up anything that seems to relate to my experience. Any suggestions, advice, and comments would be appreciated.

What I have tried is soaking in hot water for thirty minutes. Nothing changed except the razor looks real shiny now!

thanks,
Eric

The interior mechanism is probably completely crudded up (it's a technical term). Soap scum build up plus who knows what. I have a MMOC that came to me similarly non-operational. Took me several days to get it fully functional again. There's not much you can do to accelerate the process. You've got to dissolve and remove the crud. Soak in hot soapy water. Change out the water when it gets cold. If you've got an ultrasonic cleaner that would probably help too.

You may be able to open the top with your fingers before it will open via the mechanism, i.e. the spring mechanism inside is still impeded by all of the crud.

Good luck.

The top cap needs to slide backwards before it will open, so don't try to just pry it open. As mentioned above it's probably just gunked up with old soap scum. Turn the knob all the way to loose and try to slide the cap back with your thumbs. It should open. Them just keep soaking, cleaning and working it for a while. It should start working smoothly.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Plenty of washes and soaks in hot water and dish washing liquid should help. Take your time and have patience.

I suspect if it were merely clogged it would not turn.
Not necessarily. My MMOC was stiff but it would turn, but the spring mechanism that pops it open wouldn't move. Eventually started working properly after numerous soap and hot water soaks.

Hope springs eternal in my rose colored glasses. Razor is currently finishing soak #1 today, about to get its water changed. Maybe by tomorrow I'll have some news. As time permits today and tomorrow, I will try to keep it soaking in hot/warm water and working the mechanism.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hope springs eternal in my rose colored glasses. Razor is currently finishing soak #1 today, about to get its water changed. Maybe by tomorrow I'll have some news. As time permits today and tomorrow, I will try to keep it soaking in hot/warm water and working the mechanism.
Any news on your Bullet? I recently picked up a couple of Micromatics (the OC and the Clog Pruf) -- they both worked upon arrival, although the Clog Pruf was a little sluggish before the soak -- but I've got the RAD bug for the Bullet and since I'm buying mostly online, I'm curious to know if a non-working TTO can be "brought back from the dead".

Thanks for asking, but no success. I did several hot water and dish soap soaks over two days. I am giving up, and most likely will toss the razor.

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

Thanks for asking, but no success. I did several hot water and dish soap soaks over two days. I am giving up, and most likely will toss the razor.

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC
Sorry about that. Your experience suggests the mechanism inside may be broken, and the problem is not soap and hard water crud.

Top Bottom